iloveGESUS

Form I-131: Re-entry Permit vs. Refugee Travel Document

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi everyone!

I posted a thread in this section (maybe a month ago?) about myself and some family members, cousins, and friends who will be taking a cruise aboard the Carnival Breeze in January to Grand Turk, La Romana Domincan Republic, Curacao, and Aruba. One of our group members is not a U.S. citizen. He came here as a refugee when he was a child. He is a legal permanent resident who holds a valid green card and driver's license. In seeking advice regarding travel document requirements, I was advised by a few people to get him a travel document (form I-131). My question is I'm not sure which he is supposed to apply for: re-entry permit ($445) or refugee travel document ($220)? What is the difference between the two? Which one should he get? If you ask me, I like the cheaper one! Lol. :P Thanks in advance!

-Julie

Does he have a passport? I assume no. Then he needs a refugee travel document (it works sort of like a passport for people that are technically stateless).

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Yep, that's exactly what the Refugee Travel Document is for.

AOS for my husband

ROC:

Something just came to mind: can he still apply for the RTD? I don't think his status is considered a "refugee" anymore. Even though he was admitted to the U.S. as a refugee, he has been a legal permanent resident for almost 20 years. Sorry for all the stupid questions. I'm just trying to educate myself so I can help him. Thanks!

RTD's are for stateless people to use in lieu of a passport (something they don't have access to). it's exactly for people like him. He is a LPR of the US, true, and so he can come back to the US and live after travelling. But to go to another country, he has nothing, no internationally-accepted ID. So the US will issue him this RTD to use for ID and travelling.

Why doesn't he apply for US Citizenship already?

Edited by Harpa Timsah

AOS for my husband

ROC:

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Bhutan
Timeline

Hi everyone! I posted a thread in this section (maybe a month ago?) about myself and some family members, cousins, and friends who will be taking a cruise aboard the Carnival Breeze in January to Grand Turk, La Romana Domincan Republic, Curacao, and Aruba. One of our group members is not a U.S. citizen. He came here as a refugee when he was a child. He is a legal permanent resident who holds a valid green card and driver's license. In seeking advice regarding travel document requirements, I was advised by a few people to get him a travel document (form I-131). My question is I'm not sure which he is supposed to apply for: re-entry permit ($445) or refugee travel document ($220)? What is the difference between the two? Which one should he get? If you ask me, I like the cheaper one! Lol. tongue.png Thanks in advance! -Julie

He can apply for a Re-Entry permit which is Valid for 2 years,,,,,If you like a cheaper one than it is Refugee travel documents which is valid only for 1 yr. FYI....His home country may not let him in just with refugee travel documents but he can travel there with a Re-Entry Permit....

Edited by bloveb

That was so informational and helpful! Thank you so much! :)

His family's green cards were expiring in 2011 and they weren't aware of it. When they realized the cards were expiring, they wanted to apply for citizenship but had less than the required 6 months on the card. Since they had to renew the GC regardless, they decided to just hold off on applying for citizenship. He's planning to become next year through. :)

Thanks again!

He can apply for a Re-Entry permit which is Valid for 2 years,,,,,If you like a cheaper one than it is Refugee travel documents which is valid only for 1 yr. FYI....His home country may not let him in just with refugee travel documents but he can travel there with a Re-Entry Permit....

Thank you! :) I think he will be okay with just the RTD. He's planning to apply for citizenship next year and he also has no plans of traveling to his birth country anytime soon. This will be his first time leaving the U.S. since coming here as a child and he's just visiting the Caribbean. :)

A Refugee should not travel to their home country at all, because they testified that they cannot be in their country or they will be killed. That is why they are refugees. If they go back to their home country, then it can be used as proof that their refugee claim was fraudulent.

AOS for my husband

ROC:

A Refugee should not travel to their home country at all, because they testified that they cannot be in their country or they will be killed. That is why they are refugees. If they go back to their home country, then it can be used as proof that their refugee claim was fraudulent.

Very interesting. I didn't know that. Can he go once he's a citizen if he wants to? I'm just curious because my father also came here as a refugee but he has since then became a citizen and has been back to visit his birth country.

Anyway, another question: how long does it take to get the RTD? According to the USCIS website, processing time is 3 months.

Thanks in advance!

No. That is the place the person claims to fear returning to.

AOS for my husband

ROC:

This is very informational and you gave a great example. Thank you! smile.png

Anyway, does anyone know what we should put for his country of citizenship when filling out the form? As mentioned before, he doesn't have a country. I was thinking about leaving it blank but didn't want that to cause a delay in the process. Sorry for all the questions. Thanks!

None? US Asylee? Thai national non-recognized citizen? Something like that. They'll figure it out.

AOS for my husband

ROC:

This is very informational and you gave a great example. Thank you! smile.png

Anyway, does anyone know what we should put for his country of citizenship when filling out the form? As mentioned before, he doesn't have a country. I was thinking about leaving it blank but didn't want that to cause a delay in the process. Sorry for all the questions. Thanks!

Well, does any country say that he is their national (even if they won't issue him a passport)? There is a difference between you can't get a passport from a country, and you are not its national. If no country says he is their national, then he is stateless.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.