Noida

Work on Spouse Visa

20 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

The Inland Revenue and USCIS have very little to do with other, I can only think of 2 areas, Sponsorship and Naturalisation where there is a connection. I amy have missed something, work eligibility is not one of them.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

" you are not authorize to work in the US"

But he wont be working in the US. He's technically working in India for an Indian company but physically present in the US. I always understood the " you are not authorized to work here" as being " you can't have an income in US dollars working for an American company on American soil". He'll have to pay taxes though because of his H4. Also proving it to USCIS wouldn't be hard either.

People come here on Business visa all the time to promote their foreign company's business in the US. Sometimes they stay here for at most 6 months. During that time they are still getting paid, by their foreign companies into their foreign bank accounts.

I don't know where you are in India, but sometimes the embassy and consulates have information seminars at like the American center or even some hotels and if you can go to one you should. They have Q&A sessions where you can ask questions about a situation and they will let you know about the law that USCIS and DHS has regarding things. That helped me a lot with my F1 visa esp. with the gray areas. This situation sounds like a big gray area and you should clarify it with them so that you don't do anything illegal.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

" you are not authorize to work in the US"

But he wont be working in the US. He's technically working in India for an Indian company but physically present in the US. I always understood the " you are not authorized to work here" as being " you can't have an income in US dollars working for an American company on American soil". He'll have to pay taxes though because of his H4. Also proving it to USCIS wouldn't be hard either.

People come here on Business visa all the time to promote their foreign company's business in the US. Sometimes they stay here for at most 6 months. During that time they are still getting paid, by their foreign companies into their foreign bank accounts.

Now you know better.

I am familiar with activities allowed under a B1, as for a H4 it would be easy enough to look it up. it is collequally know as the Visa from Hell due to its limitations.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

• 1 month later...
Filed: Timeline

Yes, that's right, you will be on the H4 visa when you join your husband in the US as a dependant. And people on H4 visas are not allowed to work. You can attend college but you won't be eligible for Optional Practical Training (OPT) which lets you work. The only way to work legally is to change your status to H1B or other work status. It is good to consult an Immigration Attorney, to get a better understanding of the situation.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.