dzehvs

Anybody petitioned a minor child recently+ approved?

13 posts in this topic

Hi,

Does anybody here petitioned a minor child recently and been approved? My son is coming on the 19th and was advised to pay $165 immigrant fee. I'm a USC so this automatically makes my son a USC when he gets here. My question is do I have to pay for the $165 because technically he won't be needing the green card and that fee is for the green card right? I can use that $165 fee for his US passport application already. Will this affect his impending entry here? He is 16 yrs old btw. I'm trying to contact USCIS assistance and still waiting for an actual person to answer. Any infos will be much appreciated. Thanks!

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Hi,

Does anybody here petitioned a minor child recently and been approved? My son is coming on the 19th and was advised to pay $165 immigrant fee. I'm a USC so this automatically makes my son a USC when he gets here. No, it does not. Read the requirements of the Child Citizenship Act. My question is do I have to pay for the $165 because technically he won't be needing the green card and that fee is for the green card right? I can use that $165 fee for his US passport application already. Will this affect his impending entry here? He is 16 yrs old btw. I'm trying to contact USCIS assistance and still waiting for an actual person to answer. Any infos will be much appreciated. Thanks!

Look up the requirements for your son to receive automatic citizenship under the Child Citizenship Act. One of the requirements is that he be admitted as an LPR. He needs the green card to be an LPR.

It's green card, then US citizenship. It's not skip green card and then US citizenship.

You need to pay the fee. Your son needs the green card.

Edited by aaron2020

Filed: Timeline

Hi,

Does anybody here petitioned a minor child recently and been approved? My son is coming on the 19th and was advised to pay $165 immigrant fee. I'm a USC so this automatically makes my son a USC when he gets here. My question is do I have to pay for the $165 because technically he won't be needing the green card and that fee is for the green card right? I can use that $165 fee for his US passport application already. Will this affect his impending entry here? He is 16 yrs old btw. I'm trying to contact USCIS assistance and still waiting for an actual person to answer. Any infos will be much appreciated. Thanks!

He will need to pay the fee. He needs the Green Card to prove that he was admitted as a lawful permanent resident. You will need to submit the Green Card when you apply for his passport.

He will get stamp of I-551 permanent residence at POE in his passport which is valid for 1 year.

I am thinking not to pay $165 bcoz after POE I am going to apply for us passport for my son.

Any advice please

In December my wife and I sent in our I-130 petition for our son who we adopted as a relative adoption. The I-130 was approved on March 28. We then sent in our sent in my Affidavit of support I-684 to the NVC as well as the visa application with all supporting evidence. After the prerequisite 20 business days they sent me an e-mail that my case had been reviewed and all was in order but we needed to send in a I-684 W instead of the 12 pages of I684, income tax copies and W2's we had sent. So I had my wife who is with our son in the Philippines to fill out the one page w form and have our son sign it. She scanned it to me and I sent in the form with cover letter. After waiting 20 more business days for them to review the one page form they sent me another e-mail saying the I-864 W form needed the original signature of our son.You see I had my wife scan the form signed by my son so the signature was not original. cray5ol.gif Needless to say I was much disgusted and discouraged and called my wife to have another form filled out and send to me, by mail. The next day I called the NVC and the lady on the phone, who was very nice and professional, told me that I shouldn't be discouraged because my case was complete and all I needed to do was wait for the interview date at Manila Embassy. She said our son could bring the form with him to the interview and sign it. I have no idea which is true,whether I will need to send in to NVC another form or the agent on the phone is correct and our case is complete , except waiting for interview date. Sorry for breaking into this thread and being so wordy.mellow.png

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

In December my wife and I sent in our I-130 petition for our son who we adopted as a relative adoption. The I-130 was approved on March 28. We then sent in our sent in my Affidavit of support I-684 to the NVC as well as the visa application with all supporting evidence. After the prerequisite 20 business days they sent me an e-mail that my case had been reviewed and all was in order but we needed to send in a I-684 W instead of the 12 pages of I684, income tax copies and W2's we had sent. So I had my wife who is with our son in the Philippines to fill out the one page w form and have our son sign it. She scanned it to me and I sent in the form with cover letter. After waiting 20 more business days for them to review the one page form they sent me another e-mail saying the I-864 W form needed the original signature of our son.You see I had my wife scan the form signed by my son so the signature was not original. cray5ol.gif Needless to say I was much disgusted and discouraged and called my wife to have another form filled out and send to me, by mail. The next day I called the NVC and the lady on the phone, who was very nice and professional, told me that I shouldn't be discouraged because my case was complete and all I needed to do was wait for the interview date at Manila Embassy. She said our son could bring the form with him to the interview and sign it. I have no idea which is true,whether I will need to send in to NVC another form or the agent on the phone is correct and our case is complete , except waiting for interview date. Sorry for breaking into this thread and being so wordy.mellow.png

No need to worry about it if NVC says that ur case is complete then it means that they r scheduling ur son for interview.

Same thing happened with me & they told me to fill out new I-864w & bring it at the time of interview.

.if u need anything else to know from me message me.

Edited by Raosaab

No need to worry about it if NVC says that ur case is complete then it means that they r scheduling ur son for interview.

Same thing happened with me & they told me to fill out new I-864w & bring it at the time of interview.

.if u need anything else to know from me message me.

Raosaab,

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. Have you had your interview scheduled yet or is it all now complete.Take care.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Raosaab,

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. Have you had your interview scheduled yet or is it all now complete.Take care.

Everything is complete ,got visa of my son.

We r flying on 6 th sep and our POE will be at PHL.

He will get stamp of I-551 permanent residence at POE in his passport which is valid for 1 year.

I am thinking not to pay $165 bcoz after POE I am going to apply for us passport for my son.

Any advice please

They may not give him the I-551 stamp if he hasn't paid the immigration fee, so why not just pay it?

Filed: IR-2 Country: France
Timeline

Thankyou and I wish u same & don't worry everything will be fine. Good luck god bless all of us.

Congratulations Rosaab!!

06/10/2013 NOA1 I-130 Priority date (NBC @ Overland Park, KS)
07/30/2013 Requested Expedite Procedure via USCIS Hotline
08/15/2013 Sent a letter to the NBC/MSC regarding Expedite

10/15/2013 Case approved, Notice mailed

10/21/2013 Case shipped to the DHS/NVC

11/xx/2013 Received NOA2 hardcopy

0988d859-df57-45d4-b8e7-38ae103df6e9.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Any advice please

Thats what I did, and so far its been okay.

10/10/07 - I-129F sent to VSC

04/30/08 - POE Newark

07/06/08 - Wedding..... I'm Married Yall!!!

I130 for Minor Child

7/26/12 - Sent to Chicago Lockbox

7/30/12 - Priority date

3/15/13 - NOA2!!!!!!!

3/25/13 - NVC received my case

4/08/13 - Emailed ds3032 template

4/09/13 - NVC case number and IIN number generated

4/11/13 - aos fee bill invoiced/paid/and pkg sent

4/12/13 - aos fee paid again after being rejected/ds3032 resent and accepted

4/15/13 - aos pkg delivered/iv bill invoiced and paid

4/16/13 - iv pkg sent express mail/ aos status changed to paid

4/17/13 - iv pkg delivered/ iv status changed to paid.

4/29/13 - Case Complete!

5/10/13 - Interview notice emailed.

6/05/13 - INTERVIEW

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.