gayle blue

Tickets to the USA

26 posts in this topic

Just wanna ask what is better, for my husband to buy the ticket online or for me to buy by myself ticket here in the Phillipines?

He told me about certain restrictions but i don't understand it.

Can anyone help us?

thank you.

"LOVE is a journey. We walk through life, found each other along the way and stayed inlove. And the best thing is being MARRIED to the person you love and accepting that the future will unfold itself while the two of you still bonded by the same word everybody called LOVE. A love that says "Let God be God"

vk7s6xxnk.png

my mother in law bought us ticket from US online, it will be on Sept... i still don't know about restrictions you said but would like to see what others answer coz it will also applied to us...

Our Journey
Service Center : California Service Center
Consulate : Manila, Philippines
2006-02-14: Marriage

IR 1 VISA PETITION

2012-09-19: I-130 Sent
2012-09-24: I-130 NOA1
2012-09-28: Transfer Notice to Lee's Summit, Mo.
2012-12-03: APPROVED in 73 days from our NOA1 date!

2012-12-11: USCIS Shipped approved case to NVC
2012-12-18: NVC Received

dec 2012- June 2013 waiting time for my child's IR2 to catch up! (6months) so we can go medical and interview together

2013-07-11: Medical Exam Day

2013-07-19: Medical Exam-Personal Evaluation (reason anxiety meds taken) cancelled my 18th interview

2013-07-30 morning: Interview Day- Passed but waiting for medical release

2013-07-30 afternoon: Medical Exam Day - Immunization

2013-08-02 Purchase Ticket

2013-08-05 https://ceac.state.gov/CEAC/ status : ISSUED

2013-08-07: Visa Received
2013-09-10: POE Dallas, Texas

IR 2 VISA PETITION
2013-02-11: I-130 Sent
2013-04-03: I-130 NOA2 APPROVED in 51 days from our NOA date

2013-06-07: Both IR1/IR2 case AOS/IV BILL shows Paid

2013-06-17: Schedule interview online

2013-06-19: USEM Case Received
2013-06-24: Received email from USEM Case Received
2013-07-11: Medical Exam Day-no tst need to go back on the ff day

2013-07-15: Medical Exam Day- tst result (-) immunization

2013-07-18: Interview Day

2013-xx-xx: Visa Received
2013-09-10: POE Dallas, Texas

(USCIS/NVC letters took an average of 50 calendar days to arrive in the Philippines so we don't rely on letters, thanks God for internet and VJ)

UlsIp8.png

thanks ladybug...i also will be flying on september.

"LOVE is a journey. We walk through life, found each other along the way and stayed inlove. And the best thing is being MARRIED to the person you love and accepting that the future will unfold itself while the two of you still bonded by the same word everybody called LOVE. A love that says "Let God be God"

vk7s6xxnk.png

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I suggest Let ur husband decide where to buy your ticket since he will be the one paying for it...I don't know the restrictions either...but basing on my readings online especially here In vj...a lot of fiancé (usc) use their credit card mileage to buy airline tickets.

In my case last year, my fiancé who was my bf last year, sent me money so I can buy PAL ticket here in the Philippines when i visited him before we got engaged....but he had to send the money in 3 remittances to prevent questioning of the money transfer office in Ohio of why he was sending me 2 grand ....and the money transfer offices here in my hometown won't give the 2 grand in dollars, they will convert into pesos which we all know is less than the conversion.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Btw, this could be the restrictions ur fiancé is talking about...I remembered when I went to Singapore this February, my sis brought my ticket online using her credit card...I cannot check in if she is not with me cause airline required the owner of the credit card should be physically present...so she took a leave for work to accompany me to the airport in the check in counter...it was Tiger airways.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Philippines is the only country that requires you to physically go to the ticket office for a one-way ticket originating from the Philippines. I believe your husband cannot purchase the ticket online because its my understanding Philippines law requires YOU to physically go to the ticket office and pay.

For those who use miles, there are some taxes you have to pay. In my case when I got the ticket for my fiance, its about $30USD when I used AA miles for Cathay. However, I cannot pay the taxes myself. My fiance has to go to the AA ticket office in Manila, pay the taxes, and get the ticket. Her ticket is for November and she just has to go to the ticket office before departure. This last part may not apply to everyone as I'm EXP on AA and have certain benefits to holding tickets and not having to pay fees for changes and the like.

During my last visit to the Philippines I also used AA miles and flew Cathay. A few days before flying home, I decided to extend my stay a few days. I called AA and they made the change. However, my original ticket was refunded (return portion of the miles and taxes) and a new ticket was issued. This new ticket was now a one-way ticket Manila to SFO. So I had to go to the AA ticket office in Manila to pay the new taxes and complete the transaction.

Hope that is helpful.

Edited by Jeff1970

Timeline

Btw, this could be the restrictions ur fiancé is talking about...I remembered when I went to Singapore this February, my sis brought my ticket online using her credit card...I cannot check in if she is not with me cause airline required the owner of the credit card should be physically present...so she took a leave for work to accompany me to the airport in the check in counter...it was Tiger airways.

Yes they ask you for the credit card used when you purchase the ticket upon checking in. It usually states that if the person purchasing it is not one of the travelers they must call the airline to avoid any problems.

JAYANN & JAY

K1 VISA PROCESS

03.05.13: I-129F Sent
03.12.13: I-129F NOA1 (Vermont Service Center)
07.12.13: I-129F NOA2 (Petition approved)

08.27.13: Interview - APPROVED

09.23.13: POE to JFK

10.08.13: WEDDING DAY

AOS PROCESS

11.02.13: AOS/AP/EAD Sent

11.08.13: NOA1

12.11.13:Biometrics

01.06.14: EAD/AP combo card received

02.07.14: Received an interview waiver letter

04.18.14: Green Card received

ROC PROCESS

03.08.16: ROC Sent

03.12.16: NOA1

04.04.16:Biometrics

i would suggest you call a local travel agent, US and the Phil., and ask them how its done. Best to have current information.

Best of luck!

Sid

Just wanna ask what is better, for my husband to buy the ticket online or for me to buy by myself ticket here in the Phillipines?

He told me about certain restrictions but i don't understand it.

Can anyone help us?

thank you.

Yes the Philippines have some funky law about one way tickets. Some have bought here and sent a photocopy of the CC etc or done other things.

My wife ust shopped for a cheap one way there and I sent here the money. Easiest way for me

For others it may be different. I just did not want the hassles of doing it the other way

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Philippines is the only country that requires you to physically go to the ticket office for a one-way ticket originating from the Philippines. I believe your husband cannot purchase the ticket online because its my understanding Philippines law requires YOU to physically go to the ticket office and pay.

For those who use miles, there are some taxes you have to pay. In my case when I got the ticket for my fiance, its about $30USD when I used AA miles for Cathay. However, I cannot pay the taxes myself. My fiance has to go to the AA ticket office in Manila, pay the taxes, and get the ticket. Her ticket is for November and she just has to go to the ticket office before departure. This last part may not apply to everyone as I'm EXP on AA and have certain benefits to holding tickets and not having to pay fees for changes and the like.

During my last visit to the Philippines I also used AA miles and flew Cathay. A few days before flying home, I decided to extend my stay a few days. I called AA and they made the change. However, my original ticket was refunded (return portion of the miles and taxes) and a new ticket was issued. This new ticket was now a one-way ticket Manila to SFO. So I had to go to the AA ticket office in Manila to pay the new taxes and complete the transaction.

Hope that is helpful.

Well that isn't true. I purchased my wife's one-way ticket (last year) from Hawaiian airlines and I for sure wasn't in the Phils when I did it. We had zero issue at the airport when we flew out.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

What if you purchase a round-trip and just dont use it? Seems very little difference in cost right now.

04/30/2013 I-129F Sent

05/01/2013 I-129F Received at Texas Lock Box
05/03/2013 I-129F NOA1 (CSC)

05/06/2013 I-129F NOA1 Text/Email received

05/13/2013 I-129F NOA1 Hard Copy received snail mail
xx/xx/xxxx I-129F RFE(s) None
xx/xx/xxxx RFE Reply(s)
07/30/2013 I-129F NOA2
08/13/2013 NVC Received
09/12/2013 Interview Date
xx/xx/xxxx Visa Received
10/01/2013 US Entry
12/14/2013 Marriage

Timeline

You can purchase a round trip ticket if you so choose, just remember to cancel out the other leg of the trip once you are done traveling.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

Well that isn't true. I purchased my wife's one-way ticket (last year) from Hawaiian airlines and I for sure wasn't in the Phils when I did it. We had zero issue at the airport when we flew out.

Hank, I can tell you for certainty if you book through AA that is what they will tell you. Have experienced this first hand and had to go to AA Manila office when I changed my return flight once already in the Philippines. When I booked the ticket for my fiance using miles I asked about her having to go physically to the AA Manila office to have it booked. They said "great, you are aware of the law...." they said I cannot even pay the tax and she has to go to the AA Manila office to complete the transaction.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-aadvantage/1191389-special-ticketing-procedure-award-tickets-originating-manila-mnl-philippines.html

I do not know about other airlines as I only fly JAL or Cathay to the Philippines using AAdvantage miles.

Timeline

What if you purchase a round-trip and just dont use it? Seems very little difference in cost right now.

I'm only speaking of what I have experienced with AA about a one-way originating out of the Philippines. I've never bought a RT originating from the Philippines so I cannot comment

You can purchase a round trip ticket if you so choose, just remember to cancel out the other leg of the trip once you are done traveling.

I'm not sure the reason you need to "cancel' the return leg. If you buy a RT Manila <-> US you can simply not use the return to Manila leg. I cannot think of a reason for the traveler having to have "cancel" the return leg. They simply don't show up and that's that.

Timeline

Hank, I can tell you for certainty if you book through AA that is what they will tell you. Have experienced this first hand and had to go to AA Manila office when I changed my return flight once already in the Philippines. When I booked the ticket for my fiance using miles I asked about her having to go physically to the AA Manila office to have it booked. They said "great, you are aware of the law...." they said I cannot even pay the tax and she has to go to the AA Manila office to complete the transaction.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-aadvantage/1191389-special-ticketing-procedure-award-tickets-originating-manila-mnl-philippines.html

I do not know about other airlines as I only fly JAL or Cathay to the Philippines using AAdvantage miles.

Well then that would make it AA related, as I had no such issue using Hawaiian airlines and I know of a number of others that have purchased one-way tickets for their fiancées without issue also. IF it were a law all airlines would have to observe it.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.