woodpeckersknee

What to do? Traditional wedding before divorce

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello everyone, I have a question and I would like to know if anyone can give me some guidance.

My divorce from my ex-wife took 18 months from the time I left her and the divorce decree was issued. Lawyers and division of property was the reason it took so long. During this 18 months I met and fell in love with a Vietnamese lady. My GF and I decided to have a traditional Vietnamese wedding about 1 year after I left my ex-wife so I could move in and live with her. My GF wanted to stay in good standing with her neighbors. No comments necessary. We would get the marriage certificate from the government after my divorce was granted. Now my divorce has been granted and we have our marriage certificate from the government. We plan to apply for a visa and make our residence in the USA but make frequent trips back to Vietnam because her family is still here. Now for my question. Do we need to have another traditional wedding after the divorce.? Is this a moral issue that will hurt our visa application? If necessary we can get married again but I would rather save the $2500. Does anyone know of similar circumstances? Many thanks.....

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks for being Truthful. It appears you were never free to marry and knew that. The divorce needs to be finalized before you can marry again. Therefore, although your married "might be" reconized there, it will not be here in the US. You did not tell even that goverment you are still married.. am I correct? Therefore, you are not married. You entered a trust with hidden circumstances and voided the vows. Mistakes like this are lies but you must focus your mind on fixing a mistake instead of making more. Good luck to you. And yes, re-marry.

TIM/MAV K1-JOURNEY
3/27/2007....We first met on myspace
1/30/10 ......My Honey proposed
8/15/10 ......He visit Philippines(2wks) & met my family
12/17/10 ....USCIS received the Filed I-129F for K1-visa
12/21/10 ....Received hard copy,NOA1
5/25/11.......Received RFE
6/09/11.......NOA2 approved
12/07/11.....Visa fee paid at BPI

6/11/13.......2nd visa fee payment
7/10-11/13.. Medical Exam completed@St.Lukes Clinic
1/15-16/14.. 2nd Medical exam updated
1/21/14...... k1 interview-Visa Approved
8/29/14...... Submitted AOS application
10/03/14.....Biometrics
01/07/15.....Received my EAD card

01/31/15..... I got my SSN from the mail

04/20/15......AOS Interview - Approved :star:

4/24/15 .......Got the Driving Permit Card

4/30/15 .......Green Card Received :) (Exp.4/20/17)

http://youtu.be/BVf45EcdFwQ

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

I think the previous reply missunderstood. From what I am readying you had a traditional/ religious wedding while you were still officially married to the ex (but long separated), but you had the legal wedding AFTER the divorce, right? If it is so, then you should be ok; your legal wedding date (after the divorce) is the one you must put on all forms. Be sure to include pics of the traditional wedding, as that is a big thing for the US embassy in Vietnam.

****** Moving from Progress Reports to Vietnam forum for country specific answers ******

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Sorry for the confusion. But we did not lie to the government. We waited until my divorce from my ex-wife was granted then we were legally married in Vietnam. You do not need a marriage certificate to have a wedding for your family and friends here.

That did get confusing. I see no reason to not continue with the currant Petition.

TIM/MAV K1-JOURNEY
3/27/2007....We first met on myspace
1/30/10 ......My Honey proposed
8/15/10 ......He visit Philippines(2wks) & met my family
12/17/10 ....USCIS received the Filed I-129F for K1-visa
12/21/10 ....Received hard copy,NOA1
5/25/11.......Received RFE
6/09/11.......NOA2 approved
12/07/11.....Visa fee paid at BPI

6/11/13.......2nd visa fee payment
7/10-11/13.. Medical Exam completed@St.Lukes Clinic
1/15-16/14.. 2nd Medical exam updated
1/21/14...... k1 interview-Visa Approved
8/29/14...... Submitted AOS application
10/03/14.....Biometrics
01/07/15.....Received my EAD card

01/31/15..... I got my SSN from the mail

04/20/15......AOS Interview - Approved :star:

4/24/15 .......Got the Driving Permit Card

4/30/15 .......Green Card Received :) (Exp.4/20/17)

http://youtu.be/BVf45EcdFwQ

Filed: Timeline

I am happy for some support, I was worried about the Vietnam consulate seeing our wedding pictures made in late 2012 and our marriage certificate being issued in mid 2013 would make a moral issue out of it. We could do it again now but I would prefer not to. Thanks again....

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Hello everyone, I have a question and I would like to know if anyone can give me some guidance.

My divorce from my ex-wife took 18 months from the time I left her and the divorce decree was issued. Lawyers and division of property was the reason it took so long. During this 18 months I met and fell in love with a Vietnamese lady. My GF and I decided to have a traditional Vietnamese wedding about 1 year after I left my ex-wife so I could move in and live with her. My GF wanted to stay in good standing with her neighbors. No comments necessary. We would get the marriage certificate from the government after my divorce was granted. Now my divorce has been granted and we have our marriage certificate from the government. We plan to apply for a visa and make our residence in the USA but make frequent trips back to Vietnam because her family is still here. Now for my question. Do we need to have another traditional wedding after the divorce.? Is this a moral issue that will hurt our visa application? If necessary we can get married again but I would rather save the $2500. Does anyone know of similar circumstances? Many thanks.....

I don't see how this is a problem because in the eyes of the law you did not get remarried until your divorce was finalized. They may question the time difference between the religious ceremony and the legal marriage. In that case I would write a letter explaining truthfully what you just said here. Many divorces taked time, months or even years to be finalized. I don't think this will be much of an issue. You have been living together and can prove a strong bon a fide marriage/relationship. Your wife now is aware of your past and that you were still in the process of a divorce when you had your religious ceremony. As long as she was a aware and you didn't hide anything from her I highly doubt a problem.

11-28-2010 - Married

USCIS:
03/14/2013 - I-130 Sent
03/18/2013 - NOA1

06/05/2013 RFE issued

06/25/2013 RFE recieved in mail

06/28/2013 RFE requested docs. sent to USCIS from abroad

07/08/2013 RFE entered into USCIS system as received and "RFE Review" status online

07/16/2013 NOA2 received by email

07/19/2013 Email from USCIS stating case file has been sent to NVC

07/27/2013 Hard copy of NOA2 recieved abroad (Vietnam) by mail

NVC:
08/02/2013 Received NVC case number via email

08/02/2013 Sent DS-3032 via emial

08/05/2013 Paid AOS ($88) fee

08/19/2013 DS-3032 accepted by NVC

08/26/2013 Paid IV ($230) fee

09/04/2013 Completed new DS-260 Online in place of the old (DS-230 paper form)

09/10/2013 I-864 Sent

10/04/2013 Check list

11/02/2013 Check list

12/14/2013 Case Complete

12/30/2013 Interview Scheduled for Feb 25 2014

US Consulate HCMC, Vietnam

02/25/2014 I-R1 Immigrant Visa interview (APPROVED!!)

03/06/2014 Visa delivered

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.