Cohesion

Ready to File- Tourist Visa or K1 Visa to mitigate waiting?

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

All due respect Butterfly, I think we are misunderstanding each other. I am not suggesting, nor I don't think hiranmayii want to be dishonest with anyone at immigrations or the USCIS, they just don't have any formal record to prove their marriage. My my question again, and no I don't know the answer that is why I am asking and im sure hiranmayii's does not know either, for you and all of vj.com is how can they prove their marriage if a CR-1 Visa, like you suggested, is the appropriate way to go?

Yes i think we mis-understood each other :)

The answer is given already by one of the commenter which i think is a good answer.

Filed: Country: India
Timeline

Wow sad.png Thanks so much for those enlightening threads.

I did not know that this was a legal marriage. We were unable to obtain a marriage certificate due to time constraints- though we did apply. I absolutely need to be there for the marriage certificate to be granted.

We are not Hindu, by the way. Our marriage was a religious ceremony but a less-than-known religion. When at the marriage registration office, they were asking me roughly if I were Hindu, to which I replied ha ha ha (yes yes yes) because otherwise it seemed they would not have accepted the application for a Hindu marriage if I am not Hindu. So it seems benevolent lying must necessarily be involved in some stage of this process.

So what do I do now? I cannot afford to go back to India nor can I take my daughter out of school to go back.

It seems like my options are:

1. Pretend the marriage ceremony didn't happen- how could they find out? (I'm asking)

2. Go to India for the marriage certificate.

Edited by hiranmayii

The US Consulate would conduct their own background checks on your spouse,

possible ways like visiting your spouse house, talking to neighbours about your relationship, in the process discovering the marriage ceremony.

See these posts:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/397079-221g-time-frame/?p=5819030

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/404908-mandatory-administrative-process-new-delhi-consulate/?p=6028861

You have the choice to do it the right way the first time - get the marriage certificate and file CR-1 visa,

or the long painful way - that K1 visa denied. Time and money wasted and refile CR-1 visa.

I don't know how you could get your marriage certificate in India.

You could post your question in the India subforum for better advice.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/149-india/

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

Filed: Country: India
Timeline

Intense.

It looks like I have no choice but to return to India. We were married in an ashram, and the entire neighborhood knows about our marriage. There is no way to hide it.

I'd like to stay in India for the full length of the CR-1 visa process. I'm currently looking into what (tourist?) visa I need to have to stay in there for the next year or so. Being his spouse, maybe it will no longer be a tourist visa. Still reading...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.