Justin1303

K-1 VISA Questions

5 posts in this topic

Hi everyone.

My name is Justin and i live in the Dominican Republic for a couple of years now.

I met my girlfriend here and after 1 year and 3 months together i want to start doing the visa process and go back to the states. Although im preparing myself to do the visa im actually taking all the time posible since im not going back to U.S.A. until next year (2014)

just some concerns on filling out the visa.

1.One of the requierments is to have seen each other in the last 2 years. Do we have to have a relationship for 2 years? or have known each other for 2 years? or the time we have wouldnt give us any problems.

2.One of the questions in the G-325 A (Biographic Information) aplication it asks us where have we lived in the last 5 years. I have traveled many times in the last five years over 5 places and in the aplication only has 5 empty slots to write down. Do i have to put every place i went to vacation and make an extension of that question or is there a time requiered to actually be conisdered a place i use to live in. (most places i was there for a week or 2)

These are just some of the questions that i have and i just started doing the visa papers and since i have time i want to take as longs as posible as long as i get everything right

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

Hi :) You have to show evidence of having met in person at least once within the last two years. I think this means that if (for example) you are filing in February 2014, then your evidence should prove that you met with your fiance anytime between February 2012 and February 2014, e.g. passport stamps that show entry into DR, boarding passes, and to supplement that, photographs of the two of you together. Since you were living there you can probably also provide credit card receipts, bills with your name and address on it etc.

For the second part of your question, you only have to list the places you have lived in - short vacations don't count.

Flying to Seattle on 6 May 2014!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

1.One of the requierments is to have seen each other in the last 2 years. Do we have to have a relationship for 2 years? or have known each other for 2 years? or the time we have wouldnt give us any problems. <- No. It is not about the length of your relationship. You must have seen each other face-to-face at least once within the 2 years prior to filing your I-129F petition. Provide evidence that you met in person with passport stamps, boarding passes, etc.

2.One of the questions in the G-325 A (Biographic Information) aplication it asks us where have we lived in the last 5 years. I have traveled many times in the last five years over 5 places and in the aplication only has 5 empty slots to write down. Do i have to put every place i went to vacation and make an extension of that question or is there a time requiered to actually be conisdered a place i use to live in. (most places i was there for a week or 2) <-- You list places you have resided in the last 5 years, not where you went on vacation. If you still need more room, then use an attachment sheet.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Hi everyone.

My name is Justin and i live in the Dominican Republic for a couple of years now.

I met my girlfriend here and after 1 year and 3 months together i want to start doing the visa process and go back to the states. Although im preparing myself to do the visa im actually taking all the time posible since im not going back to U.S.A. until next year (2014)

just some concerns on filling out the visa.

Welcome to VJ. I think you should read the Comparison Chart before you decide to file for any type of visa. It will show you the differences between each type and the benefits of each.

http://www.visajourney.com/content/compare

In my opinion you have an advantage that most did not have. You are living with your partner in their home country. You can have a variety of choices.

1) Get married (IR1/CR1 visa) and choose to file DCF (Direct Consular Filing) where the US Consulate will complete the Immigration process for you. After being approved; she will arrive in the states with her green card (she can work and attend school immediately). Can take you up to 3 months....the fastest route.

2) Get married and file for IR1/CR1 and complete the process yourself (which can take you to 8 months). After approval, she will receive her green card once she arrives in the States. Again option1 is much faster.

3) Don't get married, just engaged and file for the K1. Complete the process yourself and wait up to 8 months. After being approved, She can move to the States. Then get married and file for AOS so she can receive her Green Card. This adds another 3-6 months after the K1 process. More money being spent and time waiting. Again option 1 is the best.

K1 Visa Process -> 12/09-06/10 Married -> 09/10/10 AOS Process -> 09/10-12/10 Removal of Conditions-> 09/12-07/13

U.S. Naturalization -> 7/8/20

***What To Do After NOA2 (The Dominican Way) Wiki Page:

https://www.visajourney.com/wiki/dominican_republic_after_receiving_the_noa2/***

thanks alot for your answers guys helped out alot

i did know about the ir1/cr1 visa but not about the DCF im going to investigate that and if its faster and better then i want to take advantage of that

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.