meblue

N-400 Package Checklist

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

My N-400 5 years, Package Checklist. Please let me know if I miss something.

1. Check payment in the amount of $680 for Citizenship application and Biometrics fee.
2. N-400 Application Form
3. Two passport size photo.
4. Photocopy of both sides of my Permanent Resident Card.
5. Photocopy of my Driver's License and Social Security card.
6. Photocopy of Marriage Certificate of my previous marriage.
7. Photocopy of Death Certificate of my previous marriage
8. Photocopy of Marriage Certificate of my present marriage as proof of name change.
9. Photocopy of my passport as proof of my travel outside the US.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

1. Check payment in the amount of $680 for Citizenship application and Biometrics fee.

8. Photocopy of Marriage Certificate of my present marriage as proof of name change.

Tax Returns

copy of selective service registration card

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Tax Returns

copy of selective service registration card

If the OP is a female then the selective service registration does not apply to her.

As for the tax returns you don't need to send it with the N-400. But, you need to have all the IRS transcripts for the last 3 or 5 tax years (depending on the grounds for naturalization application) with you on the day of the interview in order to show the IO if it's requested. IRS transcripts can be requested on-line here:

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Order-a-Transcript

My husband recently went through the N-400 process and didn't submit anything tax related. He had the transcripts with him on interview day but the IO never asked him about them.

04/25/2009: First Met and not long after began a long distance relationship.

10/27/2012: Married

12/20/2013 Most recent US Entry. Two week visit intended - decided to switch from consular processing to AOS after change in circumstances.

I-130 - See my profile for detailed info

AOS

02/05/2014: I-693 Civil Surgeon Medical Exam

02/28/2014: (00) AOS sent

03/03/2014: (03) AOS received

03/05/2014: (05) NOA date

03/06/2014: (06) Cheques cashed

03/10/2014: (10) Received hardcopy of NOA's

03/17/2014: (17) Received biometrics notice (appt. date 04/07/2014)

03/18/2014: (18) Successful walk-in for biometrics Brooklyn ASC

04/10/2014: (41) AOS E-mail notification status updated to Testing and Interview

04/16/2014: (47) AOS E-mail notification Interview Appointment Notice for May 19, 2014 @ 9:30 a.m.

05/08/2014: (69) EAD card in production e-mail notification

05/14/2014: (75) EAD card mailed and tracking number e-mail notification

05/16/2014: (77) EAD card received and applied for SSN

05/19/2014: (80) AOS Interview at Federal Plaza - approval pending due to I-130 file not transferred to NYC field office from Nebraska!

06/04/2014: (96) Infopass scheduled in order to show approved I-130 notice and attempt to get I-485 approval sped up. IO wasn't at work so left copy of approved I-130 and written case review request.

06/20/2014: (112) Green card was approved.

06/26/2014: (118) Received e-mail/text notification of green card approval and that card was also mailed. Received USPS tracking number at 6:45 p.m. EST.

06/27/2014: (119) Received green card in the mailbox.

ROC

03/22/2016: (00) I-751 package sent

03/23/2016: (01) I-751 package received at CSC

03/28/2016: (07) Rcvd NOA1 that includes 1 yr GC extension

03/31/2016: (10) Rcvd Bio appt notice (appt. date 04/11/2016)

04/05/2016: (15) Early bio walk-in attempt successful

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Hong Kong
Timeline

you don't need to include you tax return in your package if you don't have that copy in hand and it will take you several weeks to obtain that from IRS. This applied many other required documents. There are many people who forgot to include their pictures, copy of driver license, passport...etc....They can just show it to the officer during the interview. But chances is that you may not be so lucky to have a senior officer to interview you. A senior officer is who can take lot of correction and add-on documents at the interview and still can give you an "recommend for approval". In case you have a junior officer and in case they want too see that tax return or a final disposition and you did not included in your package. Then that junior officer may have excuse to give you a "decision cannot be made" to have more time to look at this "new add-on" documents, and have a senior officer to double check. This may delay your from days to months. If that tax return does not embarrass you, just put in your package. So USCIS can look at it before your interview, and that will make you interview go smoother.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Looks solid. I would include the tax returns so you don't have to hand them over later - this can be advantageous for coming into the office with less paper.

26 January 2005 - Entered US as visitor from Canada.
16 May 2005 - Assembled health package, W2s.
27 June 2005 - Sent package off to Chicago lockbox.
28 June 2005 - Package received at Chicago lockbox.
11 July 2005 - RFE: cheques inappropriately placed.
18 July 2005 - NOA 1: I-485, I-131, I-765 received!
19 July 2005 - NOA 1: I-130 received!
24 August 2005 - Biometrics appointment (Naperville, IL).
25 August 2005 - AOS touched.
29 August 2005 - AP, EAD, I-485 touched.
15 September 2005 - AP and EAD approved!
03 February 2006 - SSN arrives (150 days later)
27 February 2006 - NOA 2: Interview for 27 April!!
27 April 2006 - AOS Interview, approved after 10 minutes!
19 May 2006 - 2 year conditional green card.
01 May 2008 - 10 year green card arrives.
09 December 2012 - Assembled N-400 package.
15 January 2013 - Sent package off to Phoenix.
28 January 2013 - RFE: signature missing.
06 February 2013 - NOA 1: N-400 received!
27 February 2013 - Biometrics appointment (Detroit, MI).
01 April 2013 - NOA 2: Interview assigned.

15 May 2013 - Naturalization Interview, approved after 15 minutes.

10 June 2013 - Naturalized.

I'm confused. I will be in the same situation (5 year application) and I never been told here to send these:

5. Photocopy of my Driver's License and Social Security card. (What for? It's not in the instructions!)

9. Photocopy of my passport as proof of my travel outside the US. (Uh? Where do they state we have to send proof of this? I thought we only had to send a list of trips with the dates. I will bring passports to interview. Do I really have to make dozens of copies of stamps on passaports??? Doesn't make sense, sorry...)

So - is it better to be sending things they didn't ask, just in case???

I don't see the need to send tax returns for 5 year-based applicants, a) they don't ask for it; b) You will have to bring it to interview anyway in case it gets lost by them.

Edited by themimigrant

Done today - 05/09/14! It's been a long journey... that I was more than ready to be done with it...

N-400: (Eligibility criteria: 5 years) - took 4 months, 27 days (148 days)
12-13-13: Eligibility Date
12-13-13: Application Sent

12-17-13: Received/Priority Date
12-19-13: NOA Date
12-20-13: Check Cashed
01-02-14: Bio Letter Sent Date (long time... not a good idea to send application before holidays...)

01-07-14: Bio Letter Rcvd'
01-20-14: Original Bio Date -- duh. they booked me on a Federal Holiday and the center was... closed.
03-07-14: Actual Bio Date
(walk-in)

03-11-14: In line for Interview

03-12-14: Interview letter
04-17-14: Interview - Passed. Phew!

04-23-14: Oath Ceremony queue | scheduled (both at the same day)

04-26-14: Got Oath Ceremony letter in mail

05-09-14: (Friday) Oath Ceremony. Done! + Applied for US Passport Book & US Passport Card (expedited)

05-23-14: (Friday) American Passport Book received (via Priority Mail) after 2 weeks

05-27-14: Received back original Naturalization Certificate + American Passport Card in the mail (weirdly did not receive USPS tracking notifications for that)

Officially D-O-N-E!

N-400: 05-09-2014

I-751: 10-21-2011

AOS from H1B: 03-13-2009

• 1 month later...
Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

I'm confused. I will be in the same situation (5 year application) and I never been told here to send these:

5. Photocopy of my Driver's License and Social Security card. (What for? It's not in the instructions!)

9. Photocopy of my passport as proof of my travel outside the US. (Uh? Where do they state we have to send proof of this? I thought we only had to send a list of trips with the dates. I will bring passports to interview. Do I really have to make dozens of copies of stamps on passaports??? Doesn't make sense, sorry...)

So - is it better to be sending things they didn't ask, just in case???

I don't see the need to send tax returns for 5 year-based applicants, a) they don't ask for it; b) You will have to bring it to interview anyway in case it gets lost by them.

Hi, sorry for the late reply. On my previous petition I sent more documents or evidence and I notice that the approval was faster. In my N-400 application I also sent more documents or evidence. I also sent all my tax returns since I became a resident.

There seems to be some confusion .. here is what you need to send if you are filing independently (under the 5-year rule):

All applicants MUST send the following 3 items with their N-400 application:

1. A photocopy of both sides of your Permanent Resident Card
  2. Two identical color photographs, with your name and Alien Registration Number (A-Number) written lightly in pencil on the back of each photo.
  3. A check or money order for the application fee and the biometrics services fee.

Send copies of the following documents IF THEY APPLY TO YOU:

1. If an attorney is filing on your behalf, send a completed original Form G-28, Notice of Entry of Appearance as Attorney or Representative.​
  2. If your current legal name is different from the name on your Permanent Resident Card, send: The document(s) that legally changed your name (marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court document).
  3. If you were married before, send: Proof that all earlier marriages ended (divorce decree(s), annulment(s), or death certificates(s)).
  4. If you are currently in the U.S. military service and are seeking citizenship based on that service, send: A completed original Form N-426, Request for Certification of Military or Naval Service.
  5. If you have taken any trip outside the United States that lasted 6 months or more since becoming a Lawful Permanent Resident, send evidence that you (and your family) continued to live, work and/or keep ties to the United States, such as: An IRS tax return “transcript” or an IRS-certified tax return listing tax information for the last 5 years (or for the last 3 years if you are applying on the basis of marriage to a U.S. citizen), rent or mortgage payments and pay stubs.
  6. If you have a dependent spouse or child(ren) who do not live with you, send: Any court or government order to provide financial support; and Evidence of your financial support (including evidence that you have complied with any court or government order), such as: a. Cancelled checks; b. Money and receipts; c. A court or agency printout of child support payments; d. Evidence of wage garnishments; e. A letter from the parent or guardian who cares for your child(ren).
  7. If you have ever been arrested or detained by any law enforcement officer for any reason, and no charges were filed, send: An original official statement by the arresting agency or applicant court confirming that no charges were filed.
  8. If you have ever been arrested or detained by any law enforcement officer for any reason, and charges were filed, send: An original or court-certified copy of the complete arrest record and disposition for each incident (dismissal order, conviction record or acquittal order).
  9. If you have ever been convicted or placed in an alternative sentencing program or rehabilitative program (such as a drug treatment or community service program), send: An original or court-certified copy of the sentencing record for each incident; and Evidence that you completed your sentence: a. An original or certified copy of your probation or parole record; or b. Evidence that you completed an alternative sentencing program or rehabilitative program.
  10. If you have ever had any arrest or conviction vacated, set aside, sealed, expunged or otherwise removed from your record, send: An original or court-certified copy of the court order vacating, setting aside, sealing, expunging or otherwise removing the arrest or conviction, or an original statement from the court that no record exists of your arrest or conviction. NOTE: If you have been arrested or convicted of a crime, you may send any countervailing evidence or evidence in your favor concerning the circumstances of your arrest and/or conviction that you would like U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services to consider.
  11. If you have ever failed to file an income tax return since you became a Lawful Permanent Resident, send: All correspondence with the IRS regarding your failure to file.
  12. If you have any Federal, state or local taxes that are overdue, send: A signed agreement from the IRS or state or local tax office showing that you have filed a tax return and arranged to pay the taxes you owe; and Documentation from the IRS or state or local tax office showing the current status of your repayment program.
  13. If you are applying for a disability exception to the testing requirement, send: An original Form N-648, Medical Certification for Disability Exceptions, completed less than 6 months ago by a licensed medical or osteopathic doctor or licensed clinical psychologist.
  14. If you did not register with the Selective Service and you (1) are male, (2) are 26 years old or older, and (3) lived in the United States in a status other than as a lawful nonimmigrant between the ages of 18 and 26, send: A “Status Information Letter” from the Selective Service (Call 1-847-688-8888 for more information).

You do not need to send copies of your passport pages (they will want to see them at the interview) copies of your SSN card, selective service registration card or driver's license (though you can also take them to the interview). Because you are filing under the 5 year rule, you don't need your tax transcripts (though take them to the interview just in case).

Basically, don't put too much paperwork into the N-400. Send ONLY what has been requested and gather everything but the kitchen sink as further evidence IF they request it. If you are eligible for citizenship, you'll get it. This isn't as complicated as some of the other steps.

Don't forget the G-1145 so that you'll receive email updates.

timeline.gif

Full timeline can be seen in my profile

PAST - From K-1 to Citizenship (a love story)
K-1: Aug 12, 2006 to Jan 17, 2007 - mailed I-129F
AOS: Feb 26, 2007 - Jul 26, 2007
REMOVING CONDITIONS: May 4, 2009 - Oct 3, 2009
CITIZENSHIP: Nov 27, 2012 - May 9, 2013

Note: I immigrated from Canada, not T&T - the timeline is reflective of this.

PRESENT - IR-5 Story (reuniting a family)
I-130 for Parents - 2013
Aug ?? - mailed I-130 packages for both mother and father
Sept 10 - NOA1 date
Sept 16 - NOA1s received

Feb 25 - got emails saying that the cases had been transferred to another office for processing

Feb 26 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred to my local office for processing

Feb 28 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred and are being processed

Mar 17 - got email, attached to one case number only, saying that my A number was changed relating to the I-130 filing

Mar 18 - got emails saying that the petitions are approved smile.png

Visit my website Dancing Light Stained Glass Studio to view my work.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.