MissStacey

I need help with my situation!

31 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

And of course, they don't elaborate in their press release how one "clearly states" if they wish their I-130 to go to a consulate.

I wonder... For those of us that are still in I-130 processing, is there any way to send some sort of letter to whichever service centre to request that it be sent to a consulate after approval?

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And of course, they don't elaborate in their press release how one "clearly states" if they wish their I-130 to go to a consulate.

I wonder... For those of us that are still in I-130 processing, is there any way to send some sort of letter to whichever service centre to request that it be sent to a consulate after approval?

That is where the I-824 comes in.

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Timeline
That is where the I-824 comes in.
Would one need to wait until after approval? I'm guessing the answer is yes...

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
That was only a few weeks ago Mel went to the Lawyer. We did the I 130 on our own. He went more to find out if anything could be expodited to get me back faster.

what did Mel answer on Question 22?

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Timeline

When Mel filled out the I 824, he was allowed to make 2 choices of which US Consulates the file would go to. He chose Calgary and Vancouver. I don't think the Calgary office handles very much of this kind of thing. Which is too bad, it is fairly close. I am in Edmonton. So I really have no idea at this point where my file will go. I only know my Interview will be in Montreal.

Timeline
Its not an automatic anymore M. Gone are the days of following both paths as a given. http://www.uscis.gov/files/pressrelease/PN_i-129f.pdf

In Wilhelmina's case, she was told to file the I-824 to transfer her case to the NVC and onto the consulate. Not unlike many will now have to do if they have a parallel I-129F. There is anecdotal evidence trickling in that regardless of what one answers in Q22 (The only place on the form where one can hope to satisfy USCIS directive to answer clearly as to whether you wish to apply for a visa at a consulate abroad), if they have an approved I-129F it is appears to be being assumed they will be adjusting status in the US.

Yes her lawyer sucked in not having the I-485 filed along with the I-130 when she was in the US. As you say, water under the bridge now.

I know I'm being totally thick here then. I understand what you're saying *with regard to someone who also files I-129f for a K-3*.

What happens to an I-130 that is just filed solo? It should still go to the NVC, right?

There must be thousands, hundreds of thousands of I-130s filed every year that are not going to result in K-3s or AOSs? Isn't that how Me's I-130 would appear, since there was no I-485?

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

Its not an automatic anymore M. Gone are the days of following both paths as a given. http://www.uscis.gov/files/pressrelease/PN_i-129f.pdf

In Wilhelmina's case, she was told to file the I-824 to transfer her case to the NVC and onto the consulate. Not unlike many will now have to do if they have a parallel I-129F. There is anecdotal evidence trickling in that regardless of what one answers in Q22 (The only place on the form where one can hope to satisfy USCIS directive to answer clearly as to whether you wish to apply for a visa at a consulate abroad), if they have an approved I-129F it is appears to be being assumed they will be adjusting status in the US.

Yes her lawyer sucked in not having the I-485 filed along with the I-130 when she was in the US. As you say, water under the bridge now.

I know I'm being totally thick here then. I understand what you're saying *with regard to someone who also files I-129f for a K-3*.

What happens to an I-130 that is just filed solo? It should still go to the NVC, right?

There must be thousands, hundreds of thousands of I-130s filed every year that are not going to result in K-3s or AOSs? Isn't that how Me's I-130 would appear, since there was no I-485?

You would think so M. But if they answered that she would be applying for adjustment in the US, they would then under the new process be able to send out a request for the I-824 and for another $200 for their coffers. I read of a couple of cases here on VJ in October around the time of the new process being implemented and I was scratching my head as to why they were told they had to file the I-824. I think the problem is arising in the implementation of this new process, in that as Yodrak pointed out in another thread, Q22 really does not satisfy on making this clear. If you look at the actual question....Complete the information below if your relative is in the United States and will apply for adjustment of status.....It is ambiguous in relation to if one is outside of the US despite the second section.

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Filed: Timeline

aussiewench and meauxna,

I'm curious about the same things that meauxna is.

My comments about I-130 Q22 were based on filing both I-130 and I-129f. That doesn't seem to be the case here, at least Wilhelmina has not mentioned an I-129f. Now that the NBC is forwarding I-129f for spouse petitions to the same SC that is processing the associated I-130, I would expect that the SC is going to decide what to do with the I-130 based on whether or not there is an I-129f. If there is, hold the I-130.

If there is not a companion I-129f, and Q 22 indicates that the beneficiary is not in the USA or cannot adjust status, then the I-130 goes to the NVC.

I'm guessing here that the I-130 said the beneficiary was in the USA, because if I understand correctly she was in the USA at the time teh I-130 was submitted. So the SC may have expected that an I-485 had also been submitted or would follow. In any event, sending the I-824 removes the guesswork and assures that the SC knows what to do with the approved I-130.

Yodrak

You would think so M. But if they answered that she would be applying for adjustment in the US, they would then under the new process be able to send out a request for the I-824 and for another $200 for their coffers. I read of a couple of cases here on VJ in October around the time of the new process being implemented and I was scratching my head as to why they were told they had to file the I-824. I think the problem is arising in the implementation of this new process, in that as Yodrak pointed out in another thread, Q22 really does not satisfy on making this clear. If you look at the actual question....Complete the information below if your relative is in the United States and will apply for adjustment of status.....It is ambiguous in relation to if one is outside of the US despite the second section.

Edited by Yodrak

Timeline

Yes. I was in the US when we filed the I 130. That is why I thought I could make a quick trip to Canada. Nothing had been approved or denied and I thought I would be fine to return. I learned my lesson. I had been told by someone (can't remember who, I've tried talking to so many people) that because I was no longer in the US when my I 130 was approved, that my I 130 might become null and void and we would have to start over. That is another reason my husband had a Consult with an Immigration Attorney. But now the I 824 has been sent and we are justing waiting to find out what happens next.

The I 130 and the I 824 are the only forms we have done and submitted.

Edited by Wilhelmina

Wilhelmina,

See the Guides and Visa FAQ sections on the immigrant visa. And the National Visa Center pages of the DoS web site.

Yodrak

..... But now the I 824 has been sent and we are justing waiting to find out what happens next.

The I 130 and the I 824 are the only forms we have done and submitted.

Timeline
I had been told by someone (can't remember who, I've tried talking to so many people) that because I was no longer in the US when my I 130 was approved, that my I 130 might become null and void and we would have to start over.

One very normal use of the I-130 is when the beneficiary has never even been to the US, let alone 'no longer' here.

Your situation is unusual because you didn't do your intital filing correctly to start with.

We're just sort of talking around your situation, so don't be confused by some of the other stuff we're talking about. Sorry to hijack your situation. :)

As Yodrak said, you should now concern yourself with the NVC and its steps (see wenchie's signature for timesaving tips) and then on to your interview at the Consulate. Other Canadian IR/CR applicants will be your best guide for 'how long'.

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Based on the answer above, my question is, do I have to file I-824 to move the petition to NVC? I read the link above and I answered Q. 22 on the I-130, regarding the consulate my spouse will apply for visa in. Also my K3 has not been approved yet. Does an unapproved K3 change the equation or the I-824 has to be done regardless?

Thanks a lot.

I-130 Timeline

08/15/06 - Mailed I-130 to VSC.

08/24/06 - NOA1

08/29/06 - Touched.

12/04/06 - NOA2.

12/05/06 - Touched.

K-3 Timeline

08/30/06 - Mailed I-129f to Chicago.

09/08/06 - NOA1

09/11/06 - Touched.

09/13/06 - Touched.

09/20/06 - Touched.

10/24/06 - Transferred to VSC.

11/01/06 - VSC recieved.

11/03/06 - Touched.

11/04/06 - Touched.

12/15/06 - NOA2

12/20/06 - NVC recieves.

12/21/06 - NVC assigns case number.

12/22/06 - Left NVC for consulate.

12/26/06 - Consulate recieved it.

02/20/07 - Interview Approved.

03/02/07 - POE JFK.

AOS Timeline

03/13/07 - AOS/EAD Filed

03/22/07 - NOA 1

03/26/07 - Biometrics appointment scheduled.

04/05/07 - Biometrics appointment.

06/17/07 - Green Card

Remove Conditional Residence

March 09 - I-751 Filed

May 09 - Biometrics done.

shree_anil,

Good questions. Let us know how things progress with your situation.

Yodrak

Based on the answer above, my question is, do I have to file I-824 to move the petition to NVC? I read the link above and I answered Q. 22 on the I-130, regarding the consulate my spouse will apply for visa in. Also my K3 has not been approved yet. Does an unapproved K3 change the equation or the I-824 has to be done regardless?

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Our I-129 F was approved on Oct 3 and I-130 on Nov 14/16. The NOA2 included the standard message of how it will fwd the I-130 to the NVC for processing.

I called the NVC today.

The automated system as well as the operator could find no record of the petition. I asked if it was possible that USCIS sent the NOA, stating it would forward the petition to them, erroneously. She said " if the NOA says it'll be forwarded then it should be forwarded", although she didn't deny an error was possible. She couldn't address the new policy of retaining approved petitons at the USCIS as it is a USCIS policy and not theirs.Pretty much she said , keep calling and checking to see if we got it..........guess that's what I'll do

google.gif

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Did you call the CIS to see what they say? Maybe you should check with them about filing an I-824?

Our I-129 F was approved on Oct 3 and I-130 on Nov 14/16. The NOA2 included the standard message of how it will fwd the I-130 to the NVC for processing.

I called the NVC today.

The automated system as well as the operator could find no record of the petition. I asked if it was possible that USCIS sent the NOA, stating it would forward the petition to them, erroneously. She said " if the NOA says it'll be forwarded then it should be forwarded", although she didn't deny an error was possible. She couldn't address the new policy of retaining approved petitons at the USCIS as it is a USCIS policy and not theirs.Pretty much she said , keep calling and checking to see if we got it..........guess that's what I'll do

Thanks a lot.

I-130 Timeline

08/15/06 - Mailed I-130 to VSC.

08/24/06 - NOA1

08/29/06 - Touched.

12/04/06 - NOA2.

12/05/06 - Touched.

K-3 Timeline

08/30/06 - Mailed I-129f to Chicago.

09/08/06 - NOA1

09/11/06 - Touched.

09/13/06 - Touched.

09/20/06 - Touched.

10/24/06 - Transferred to VSC.

11/01/06 - VSC recieved.

11/03/06 - Touched.

11/04/06 - Touched.

12/15/06 - NOA2

12/20/06 - NVC recieves.

12/21/06 - NVC assigns case number.

12/22/06 - Left NVC for consulate.

12/26/06 - Consulate recieved it.

02/20/07 - Interview Approved.

03/02/07 - POE JFK.

AOS Timeline

03/13/07 - AOS/EAD Filed

03/22/07 - NOA 1

03/26/07 - Biometrics appointment scheduled.

04/05/07 - Biometrics appointment.

06/17/07 - Green Card

Remove Conditional Residence

March 09 - I-751 Filed

May 09 - Biometrics done.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.