BastillaShan

Future In-Laws Coming to the States for Wedding Question.

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Swaziland
Timeline

Hi all, as Maria and I are getting closer to our Moscow interview, we're concerned about the viability of getting her parents tourist visas to come to the wedding.

Obviously it's very important to us that they attend.

Has anyone had experience with this? Our primary concern is due to the timing of everything. If we get the visa- and have her come, it puts a tight schedule on making sure her parents can get a visa. Is it a requirement for their tourist visa that they go to an embassy for an interview? I'm trying to wrap my head around the logistics of all this. Obviously we need to stay within our 90 days, but I've heard that getting a tourist visa can take longer and due to embassy fees and (possible) need to interview in person, it adds a whole other level of cost to our future that I need to plan for.

Any help or past experience would be absolutely wonderful.

Thanks!

Open the door, get on the floor, everybody walk the dinosaur.

-Abraham Lincoln.

Timeline

Her parents have to demonstrate strong ties to Russia, more so than the possibility they would not return to Russia if granted a tourist visa. That said, it can be hit and miss.

Yes, there will be an interview.

Do you know if it's required to be at a physical Embassy? That's where I haven't been able to find answers. If we need to fly both her parents to Moscow, that's going to be a major added expense. So I'm just trying to weigh out everything in advance.

Thank you!!!

-Abraham Lincoln.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

Hi all, as Maria and I are getting closer to our Moscow interview, we're concerned about the viability of getting her parents tourist visas to come to the wedding.

Obviously it's very important to us that they attend.

Has anyone had experience with this? Our primary concern is due to the timing of everything. If we get the visa- and have her come, it puts a tight schedule on making sure her parents can get a visa. Is it a requirement for their tourist visa that they go to an embassy for an interview? I'm trying to wrap my head around the logistics of all this. Obviously we need to stay within our 90 days, but I've heard that getting a tourist visa can take longer and due to embassy fees and (possible) need to interview in person, it adds a whole other level of cost to our future that I need to plan for.

Any help or past experience would be absolutely wonderful.

Thanks!

How long is the time slot for using the K-1 (i mean for which period of time can she enter on it)? The Wiki here says "Upon entering the US on a K-1 Visa, the visa holder must get married to the original I-129F sponsor (for the K-1 Visa) within 90 days." - so it's 90 days after her entering but you'd have time before it too, after the visa is issued? The embassy site says you should apply 3 months prior to planned trip. They also give waiting times for interview (20 days average for Moscow currently, 3 to issue visa). They say, yes, there are cases when it can take longer.

If they've not had a tourist visa before and hadn't been fingerprinted for it, they'll have to attend an interview, yes.

From my experience, when i was getting it for the first time it didn't take very long - not longer than a month anyway. Was 2010 though.

Do you know if it's required to be at a physical Embassy? That's where I haven't been able to find answers. If we need to fly both her parents to Moscow, that's going to be a major added expense. So I'm just trying to weigh out everything in advance.

Thank you!!!

Yes, for fingerprinting if they hadn't had it done. There are some conditions when you can have a visa issued without interview but this is exactly the case, they need fingerprints.

Also, do they have to do it in Moscow? The site gives 4 locations to do this. Ekaterinburg is closer.

Edited by Hollyday

I'm the beneficiary.

....................................................................................................................................................................

Don't have a timeline? Don't know how to get started with it? Do it for the statistics sake: VJ video guide

Filing for a USC spouse visa (IR-1/CR-1) and not sure what comes next? Check out the VJ IR-1/CR-1 guide

Want to know what's happening with your case? Here's the USCIS tracking page (get an account and see if the case's been 'touched'!). Don't get your hopes up though, some cases never even appear there despite being successfully processed.

Timeline

Hollyday, really good info, thank you. Looks like I'll have to lay out another $1000 over what we were already planning, but so be it.

The timing of everything is really more of my concern, That 90 day window via the K1 vs the approval for the Tourist visa is my biggest bottleneck.

Yeesh. crying.gif

-Abraham Lincoln.

Timeline

Hollyday, really good info, thank you. Looks like I'll have to lay out another $1000 over what we were already planning, but so be it.

The timing of everything is really more of my concern, That 90 day window via the K1 vs the approval for the Tourist visa is my biggest bottleneck.

Yeesh. crying.gif

Actually from travel.state.gov it looks different: "With your visa, you can apply for a single admission at a U.S. port of entry within the validity of the visa, which will be a maximum of 6 months from the date of issuance.You must marry your U.S. citizen fiancé(e) within 90 days of your entry into the United States." - so she'd have max 6 months to enter + 90 days after entering. Correct me if i'm wrong.

I'm the beneficiary.

....................................................................................................................................................................

Don't have a timeline? Don't know how to get started with it? Do it for the statistics sake: VJ video guide

Filing for a USC spouse visa (IR-1/CR-1) and not sure what comes next? Check out the VJ IR-1/CR-1 guide

Want to know what's happening with your case? Here's the USCIS tracking page (get an account and see if the case's been 'touched'!). Don't get your hopes up though, some cases never even appear there despite being successfully processed.

Timeline

Actually from travel.state.gov it looks different: "With your visa, you can apply for a single admission at a U.S. port of entry within the validity of the visa, which will be a maximum of 6 months from the date of issuance.You must marry your U.S. citizen fiancé(e) within 90 days of your entry into the United States." - so she'd have max 6 months to enter + 90 days after entering. Correct me if i'm wrong.

Ahhhh you know what? That actually makes more sense. I was thinking it was issuance of the visa, but issuance to the US is far more logical.... whew! I think this may all be more workable. I was starting to get the worries.

Thank you and good catch!!!!!! idea9dv.gifdancin5hr.gif

-Abraham Lincoln.

Timeline

No prob. :) And yes, consider Ekaterinburg for them? It's way closer on the map. Lol.

I'm the beneficiary.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Ahhhh you know what? That actually makes more sense. I was thinking it was issuance of the visa, but issuance to the US is far more logical.... whew! I think this may all be more workable. I was starting to get the worries.

Thank you and good catch!!!!!! idea9dv.gifdancin5hr.gif

That doesn't make any sense. Once she has her visa she has 6 months with which to use it. So she can delay coming to the US until her folks get their visa , all the long you are planning the wedding, which has to happen within 90 data of her entry to the US.

So you have a max of 9 months once her visa is issued to get her and her folks here and marry.... Lots of time.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Timeline

That doesn't make any sense. Once she has her visa she has 6 months with which to use it. So she can delay coming to the US until her folks get their visa , all the long you are planning the wedding, which has to happen within 90 data of her entry to the US.

So you have a max of 9 months once her visa is issued to get her and her folks here and marry.... Lots of time.

How does it contradict what i said? 6 months + 90 days = 9 months.

I'm the beneficiary.

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: IR-5 Country: Russia
Timeline

Hey John,

my mom applied for US tourist visa in Dec 2012 and attended the interview in US consulate in Ekaterinburg one month later in Jan 2013.

I would advise you to check out the schedule of trains from Barnaul to Ekaterinburg. The US consulate is located very close to Ekaterinburg Main TrainStation, so Maria's parents might be able to arrive to Ekaterinburg early morning (at 5-6am or so), attend their interviews and take their train to go back home, spending overall 5 -7 hours in Ekaterinburg. That is what my mom did back in Jan, although her trip was from Novosibirsk to Ekaterinburg and back to Novosibirsk.

Here you will find a map of Ekaterinburg along with the public transport's routes to get from train station to consulate. very handy tool. http://www.2gis.ru/en/

hope it helps,

Tanya

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Yeesh. crying.gif

There should be no bottleneck. She has 6 months with which to use the visa. So she stays in Russia upon receipt of the visa and her parents petition for tourist visas ( I know of many parents that successfully come to visit....and we've seen folks get denied also.). Then if it takes them three months to do this, then they all can come over together or her first and them to follow. Once she arrives, then you have to get married within 90 days. At our county courthouse it only took about a week total to get our marriage license and a date in front of the judge.

If they get denied, then you tried, she comes over and you marry, apply for AOS (with AP and EAD also) and when she gets her AP or GC, you guys can go back over there and have a ceremony or celebration with them.

Or, you withdraw the K-1. You go over there and get married and then file for a CR-1. You return, wait about one year and she comes here.

Lots of options.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.