Irisheyes

Plans to "modify" citizenship test

18 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Activists rap new test for citizens

"The federal government intends to replace the current test for U.S. citizenship with one that relies less on knowledge of specific facts and more on an applicant's grasp of democratic principles, but many immigrant-advocacy groups are up in arms about the change, which they worry may discriminate against those who don't speak English and with less education."

Link to full article

Maybe every US citizen should have to take it and the ones who fail get kicked out! :thumbs:

You can just keep renewing the greencard, right?

AOS

05/26/05: Sent I-485/I-130 & I-765 to Chicago lockbox.

05/27/05: Paperwork received by Douglas!

06/17/05: Check hit bank account.

06/20/05: All 3 NOA's rec'vd! TG!

08/02/05: Biometrics , New Orleans. Pretty uneventful.

08/09/05: EAD Approved!

07/12/06: ......still.........waiting.........

09/26/06: Case Status says interview has been canceled............What interview????

10/23/06: Interview finally scheduled for 12/14/06.

12/14/06: AOS approval pending renewal of Biometrics....Waiting on appt. for ASC!

Will this ever end????

01/17/07: Biometrics scheduled.

02/03/07: Everything complete at our end! Apparently my case file is under somebodys wobbly table leg.

02/27/07: Approval notice finally received by e-mail.....only 641 days!! 1 yr 9 mths!

My little angel, Rachel Erin...born 02/15/07

IM000979.jpg

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

I have been here since I was 5 months old and when I went to take the test I glanced over the questions on the train right before taking it. I was a year into college so I guess things were still fresh in my brain and plus, I LOVE HISTORY...I'm such a dork...

Filed: Country: Belarus
Timeline
...but many immigrant-advocacy groups are up in arms about the change, which they worry may discriminate against those who don't speak English and with less education."

Groovy...just what we need more of in the USA...uneducated foreigners that don't speak our language...and their panties are in a knot because this fact bars them from US citizenship.

:blink:

"Credibility in immigration policy can be summed up in one sentence: Those who should get in, get in; those who should be kept out, are kept out; and those who should not be here will be required to leave."

"...for the system to be credible, people actually have to be deported at the end of the process."

US Congresswoman Barbara Jordan (D-TX)

Testimony to the House Immigration Subcommittee, February 24, 1995

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

...but many immigrant-advocacy groups are up in arms about the change, which they worry may discriminate against those who don't speak English and with less education."

Groovy...just what we need more of in the USA...uneducated foreigners that don't speak our language...and their panties are in a knot because this fact bars them from US citizenship.

:blink:

And this differs from the uneducated inner city kids that don't speak our language.....how? Oh yeah, they just happened to be born here! :whistle:

AOS

05/26/05: Sent I-485/I-130 & I-765 to Chicago lockbox.

05/27/05: Paperwork received by Douglas!

06/17/05: Check hit bank account.

06/20/05: All 3 NOA's rec'vd! TG!

08/02/05: Biometrics , New Orleans. Pretty uneventful.

08/09/05: EAD Approved!

07/12/06: ......still.........waiting.........

09/26/06: Case Status says interview has been canceled............What interview????

10/23/06: Interview finally scheduled for 12/14/06.

12/14/06: AOS approval pending renewal of Biometrics....Waiting on appt. for ASC!

Will this ever end????

01/17/07: Biometrics scheduled.

02/03/07: Everything complete at our end! Apparently my case file is under somebodys wobbly table leg.

02/27/07: Approval notice finally received by e-mail.....only 641 days!! 1 yr 9 mths!

My little angel, Rachel Erin...born 02/15/07

IM000979.jpg

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

And this differs from the uneducated inner city kids that don't speak our language.....how? Oh yeah, they just happened to be born here! :whistle:

That's exactly what peejay is saying -- we already have enough uneducated dimwits

who were born here to import more uneducated dimwits from other countries.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Timeline

That's exactly what peejay is saying -- we already have enough uneducated dimwits

And probably the only reason they want to be citizens is to qualify for the entitlements that non-citizens are now barred from receiving. But wait...there are some "enlightened" elected officials (Barak Obama is one) that want to eliminate that barrier too. I guess we don't have enough poverty in this country...so we just have to import it. Then we will have something to throw taxpayers money at.

I think if people read the history of what immigration in this country was...this ain't it! Sadly, past immigration is unrecognizable to what is happening today.

"Credibility in immigration policy can be summed up in one sentence: Those who should get in, get in; those who should be kept out, are kept out; and those who should not be here will be required to leave."

"...for the system to be credible, people actually have to be deported at the end of the process."

Filed: Timeline

And probably the only reason they want to be citizens is to qualify for the entitlements that non-citizens are now barred from receiving. But wait...there are some "enlightened" elected officials (Barak Obama is one) that want to eliminate that barrier too. I guess we don't have enough poverty in this country...so we just have to import it. Then we will have something to throw taxpayers money at.

I think if people read the history of what immigration in this country was...this ain't it! Sadly, past immigration is unrecognizable to what is happening today.

I'd like to see stats on what percentage of legal immigrants actually ar a burden to taxpayers as opposed to being a relief. Seeing that legal aliens pay full taxes just like citizens w/o having many of the entitlements accessible to them, I would venture a guess that the legal immigrant population actually is a net contributor to the taxpayers coffers as opposed to being a drain. Haven't seen the actual numbers but I'm quite certain that they'll support my gut feeling.

ETA: I know that me and my wife (both legal immigrants) have nothing but contributed. So, to the American taxpayer we say: you're welcome.

Edited by ET-US2004

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I'd like to see stats on what percentage of legal immigrants actually ar a burden to taxpayers as opposed to being a relief. Seeing that legal aliens pay full taxes just like citizens w/o having many of the entitlements accessible to them, I would venture a guess that the legal immigrant population actually is a net contributor to the taxpayers coffers as opposed to being a drain. Haven't seen the actual numbers but I'm quite certain that they'll support my gut feeling.

ETA: I know that me and my wife (both legal immigrants) have nothing but contributed. So, to the American taxpayer we say: you're welcome.

Illegal aliens pay taxes too -- using made up or borrowed Social Security numbers.

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Illegal aliens pay taxes too -- using made up or borrowed Social Security numbers.

Yeah, they claim 10 dependants they don't have on those stolen identities, too. They disproportionately use taxpayer funded public health care as well since their employers typically don't provide group health plans to them. But that's not what this threat is about, is it?

Edited by ET-US2004

Timeline

And you are welcome. My grandfather became a US citizen in 1943 (as did several of my relatives of the era). English was not his native language, but he made the effort to learn even though he was an uneducated laborer. There was no modern American welfare state when my grandparents immigrated nor did they participate in it when it was created.

The point I was making is that he met the requirements to become a US citizen without the government having to lower the bar and dummy down the test to include anyone and everyone that can't or refuses to meet the requirements.

If immigrants can't or refuse to learn our language, culture, history, and institutions...why would we want them to be able to vote in our elections or to serve on a jury, much less reap the benefits of the modern American welfare state?

Many of the "immigrant advocacy groups" listed in the OP's article have their own self serving agendas that do not put the interests of America or Americans as any of their priorities. You have only to look at the list and investigate their agendas to see that.

Unfortunately politicians such as Obama (among others) have their own self serving agendas too (reinstituting welfare for non-citizen immigrants, legal permanent residency for illegal aliens, giving illegal aliens Social Security for illegal work, etc.) and pander to the lowest common denominator to achieve their self serving agendas.

That was and is my point...a lot of these agendas have very little in common with what immigration was for our country in the past. A huge reevaluation is in order.

Edited by peejay

Why not combine the existing test with the proposed questions? After all citizenship should not be a walk in the park..

By the time I am eligible to become a US citizen I will probably be forced to learn to speak the Hispanic language..

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

The point I was making is that he met the requirements to become a US citizen without the government having to lower the bar and dummy down the test to include anyone and everyone that can't or refuses to meet the requirements.

We totally agree on that part. I do not believe that anyone unwilling to learn English and unwilling to learn and understand what America is all about should be awarded US citizenship. I also don't believe that children born to illegals here should be awarded US citizenship.

I just thought I read out of your previous post that you were suggesting that the legal immigrant population is a drain on the country. I don't believe that's the case.

We totally agree on that part. I do not believe that anyone unwilling to learn English and unwilling to learn and understand what America is all about should be awarded US citizenship. I also don't believe that children born to illegals here should be awarded US citizenship.

I just thought I read out of your previous post that you were suggesting that the legal immigrant population is a drain on the country. I don't believe that's the case.

I never thought we could agree on something.

Illegal immigrants on the other hand are a burden. Plus they take jobs from Americans..

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.