Chevy70

Questions Regarding Travel to Canada

11 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi everyone. I'm a 2-year Green Card holder (got it last Summer) and I am planning a trip to Canada later this month (via Greyhound). My Canadian passport is still in my maiden name ... I never bothered changing it to my married name because it hasn't expired yet. Is this fine? I've been married for a year and five months and will be traveling with my husband. Also, if I'm able to travel with my current Canadian passport, does it matter what last name I give when getting my tickets? Must the tickets have my maiden name or my married name?

Thank you and take care.

Hi everyone. I'm a 2-year Green Card holder (got it last Summer) and I am planning a trip to Canada later this month (via Greyhound). My Canadian passport is still in my maiden name ... I never bothered changing it to my married name because it hasn't expired yet. Is this fine? I've been married for a year and five months and will be traveling with my husband. Also, if I'm able to travel with my current Canadian passport, does it matter what last name I give when getting my tickets? Must the tickets have my maiden name or my married name?

Thank you and take care.

Doesn't matter what name is in your passport. Many people don't change their last names to their married name. I never have. All of my documents (passport, green card, SSN, driver's license, etc) are all in my maiden name, even after more than 3 years of marriage. I have no plans at the moment on changing to my married name.

But you MUST book your tickets in the same name as on your passport otherwise you'll encounter issues.

Is your green card in your married or maiden name?

Timeline

My Green Card is under my married name so it will not match the last name in my passport. I will of course have my marriage certificate to show the name change just in case. As long as they do not give me problems and question why I haven't applied for a new Canadian passport then all is good ... I haven't returned to Canada since being in the US almost 2 years ago.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

If you are purchasing airline tickets they need to agree with the name in your passport. As long as your green card and your passport names are different, you should carry a copy of your marriage certificate in your passport as well.

If you are flying domestically and driving across a land border, then you can buy your tickets in either name as long as you have photo ID in that name. Since you are driving over the border, you can use either your passport or your green card. You need to use your green card returning to the US. I am not sure if Greyhound requires you to have tickets in the same name as your passport or not. You should give them a call and ask them.

Canadian immigration shouldn't question you about why you haven't changed your name in your passport. Not everyone does. As long as you have a paper trail that ties you to both names (marriage certificate) you'll be fine.

Enjoy your visit home smile.png .

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

Out of curiosity, why should the name on the bus ticket match the name in the passport? In the past, no one at the border has ever looked at my Greyhound ticket. By using my maiden name for the round trip tickets, would the U.S. border agent question why I didn't use my married name? (that is, if they were to ask to see my return ticket for whatever reason)

**Just read your post, Kathryn. Thank you for that information. I appreciate it. I will be sure to ask them what would be the best course of action. I'm sure they know best. At least, I hope so. tongue.png

P.S. Thank you. I'm excited to see my family. It has been too long! My husband is excited too. :)

Edited by Chevy70

In Canada, leaving for the USA, bus drivers always looked at my ticket + Nexus Card/Passport/Green Card, whatever I was showing them before boarding - they do have a list of passengers and I think they give it to the agent at the border, before we get out of the bus. Last time I took the bus was this spring and they definitely checked my ticket and ID. I can't remember them checking anything but the ticket leaving from the USA to Canada, but I've only done it once, years ago.

Other difference is that going into Canada, they had us take all of our luggage out of the bus, while coming into the USA, we had to leave everything in there.

ETA: I kept my name, so the name problem didn't apply, but if the name on the ticket matches your passport or green card and you present your marriage certificate, I think you would be fine.

Edited by Boston~Montreal

Timeline

Thanks for your reply, Boston~Montreal. Maybe I'm stressing a tad too much tongue.png I know that for air tickets the name on the ticket MUST match the name in the passport. I can't seem to find a definite answer for land travel to Canada from the U.S. (and back) Hopefully I'll get a definite answer at the Greyhound station. I don't want my trip to end up badly - there are some pretty scary stories on the Internet tongue.png

P.S. Assuming you live in Boston, I reside there too smile.png

Edited by Chevy70

Hey neighbour! To be honest, the bus drivers doing the boarding were just checking the IDs quickly, not with as much scrutiny as an airport check-in/boarding agent - I think they don't want to leave you at the border - the agent at the border is the one looking at all the details :)

Another thing you might want to look into while you're in Canada is to renew your passport there, I know it's cheaper that way (it would depends on how long you're staying, where is the passport bureau, if it's expiring soon, and such though...).

That would be a good plan if you can pull it off on your visit (getting a new passport).

If you want to change your name in your passport you need to do the full application and not the simplified renewal.

It’s a bit of a pain in the butt with having to get your photos signed by your guarantor and such. Probably easier to do it in from Canada.

Also, you have a choice between a more expensive 10 year passport or a cheaper 5 year passport now depending on your finances.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I traveled on a Canadian passport in my maiden name and carried the green card in my married name with my marriage certificate as a precaution dozens of times. Crossing back and forth into Canada from the US, even flying, isn't a problem. 99% of the time, the customs/immigration officials gave my passport a once-over and that was that. My declarations forms and green card got me home into the US without a fuss. The only times I encountered extra questioning was usually at the border via a land crossing, which was easy enough to remedy by showing my marriage certificate.

It should be a painless re-entry. As other posters noted, you must make your reservations in your passport (maiden?) name.

26 January 2005 - Entered US as visitor from Canada.
16 May 2005 - Assembled health package, W2s.
27 June 2005 - Sent package off to Chicago lockbox.
28 June 2005 - Package received at Chicago lockbox.
11 July 2005 - RFE: cheques inappropriately placed.
18 July 2005 - NOA 1: I-485, I-131, I-765 received!
19 July 2005 - NOA 1: I-130 received!
24 August 2005 - Biometrics appointment (Naperville, IL).
25 August 2005 - AOS touched.
29 August 2005 - AP, EAD, I-485 touched.
15 September 2005 - AP and EAD approved!
03 February 2006 - SSN arrives (150 days later)
27 February 2006 - NOA 2: Interview for 27 April!!
27 April 2006 - AOS Interview, approved after 10 minutes!
19 May 2006 - 2 year conditional green card.
01 May 2008 - 10 year green card arrives.
09 December 2012 - Assembled N-400 package.
15 January 2013 - Sent package off to Phoenix.
28 January 2013 - RFE: signature missing.
06 February 2013 - NOA 1: N-400 received!
27 February 2013 - Biometrics appointment (Detroit, MI).
01 April 2013 - NOA 2: Interview assigned.

15 May 2013 - Naturalization Interview, approved after 15 minutes.

10 June 2013 - Naturalized.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

That would be a good plan if you can pull it off on your visit (getting a new passport).

If you want to change your name in your passport you need to do the full application and not the simplified renewal.

It’s a bit of a pain in the butt with having to get your photos signed by your guarantor and such. Probably easier to do it in from Canada.

Also, you have a choice between a more expensive 10 year passport or a cheaper 5 year passport now depending on your finances.

when you look at the per year cost though the 10 year is cheaper..

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.