mkatt8

Inquiry re application for N-400 with dependent

6 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi! I am currently fixing my N-400 packet and have a few questions. If anyone could help me out please, I'd appreciate it. My son is 16 years old ,so there is no need for him to fill up the N-400 form correct? Do i need to include fees for his application and biometrics or just the biometrics fee? Can he also change his name during this process?

Thank you in advance and hope to hear from anyone soon smile.png CHEERS!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Since your son is a minor, he does not fill out his own N-400 - he will obtain US citizenship automatically at the instant you do, assuming he is still living in your custody and currently has a green card, as a consequence of the Child Citizenship Act of 2000. You have to include him on your N-400 anyways, as it asks for information about all of your children, including adopted children and stepchildren, regardless of their current immigration status or citizenship. It is my understanding that you will need to include a biometrics fee for him, but not a separate application fee.

I don't know if children receiving derivative citizenship through a naturalizing parent can have their names changed at the oath ceremony. I suspect not. Not only does the N-400 form lack a place to record such a preference, but there appears to be no procedural way for a child's name change to happen during the oath ceremony.

The name change is accomplished by USCIS presenting a motion to the court for the name change as part of the collection of motions for naturalization that they present during the oath ceremony (which is a session of law court, technically). You become naturalized when the judge approves the motion to naturalize that the USCIS representative presents on your behalf, and your name changes when the judge approves the motion of name change that USCIS presents on your behalf. USCIS presents these motions, and the judge approves them, as part of the oath ceremony.

The derivative naturalization conferred on the child by the Child Citizenship Act does not appear to be directly conferred by the judge approving a motion for naturalization, the way it is with the primary applicant. Since the judge does not, as part of the ceremony, approve any motions directly relating to the child at all, the child's name can't change, since there is no motion before the judge asking for it to change. I could be wrong though about this though, I only play a lawyer on TV :)

The N-600 Application for Certificate of Citizenship can only be filled out for your minor son once he is actually a US citizen, which only happens when you become one at your oath ceremony, at the end of your N-400 process. So no, you don't fill it out yet.

It is very arguable that you don't really want to do an N-600 for your son at all. It is quite expensive and only gets him a certificate that he doesn't really need. About the only thing a certificate of citizenship is good for is getting your first US passport. After that, the US passport and/or passport card will be a perfectly good proof of US citizenship, and he won't need the citizenship certificate for anything else. It is my understanding that you can order him a US passport and passport card using your certificate of naturalization, since his citizenship will be a direct result of your citizenship. See http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_1312.html

DON'T PANIC

"It says wonderful things about the two countries [Canada and the US] that neither one feels itself being inundated by each other's immigrants."

-Douglas Coupland

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

There is no biometric fee or any other fee associated with a child on the N400 application for citizenship. The total fee for filing is currently $680.

The child automatically becomes a citizen if they are under the age of 18, legal resident, in your legal and physical custody....once you take the oath.

May 20, 2008: Green card approved

N-400

February 22, 2011: Sent N-400 VAWA package

February 23, 2011: FedEx package signed for and delivered

March 15, 2011: Email NOA

March 15, 2011: Check cashed

March 17, 2011: Email re: Fingerprint Notice mailed out

March 18, 2011: NOA received (Notice Date 03/14; Priority Date: 02/23)

March 23, 2011: Biometrics notice received for 03/31

March 31, 2011: Biometrics completed

July 5, 2011: Online status: Now scheduled for interview

July 12, 2011: Received interview letter finally!

August 11, 2011: Interview Date (Garden City) - PASSED!!!

August 15, 2011: In line to be scheduled for Oath

August 16, 2011: Oath scheduled, notice sent

August 20, 2011: Oath notice received

September 15, 2011: Oath ceremony @ 8:30 AM

September 17, 20011: Passport application

September 21, 2011: Passport received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

There is no biometric fee or any other fee associated with a child on the N400 application for citizenship. The total fee for filing is currently $680.

The child automatically becomes a citizen if they are under the age of 18, legal resident, in your legal and physical custody....once you take the oath.

Yes, only place to add that name to your N-400 is in that kid session, and if under 18 years of age, automatically becomes a US citizen when you do, but without any proof.

You already know it cost you a small fortune to bring that kid here during the AOS stage with that I-693 and all that, and even a lot more if you need legal proof you have permission from that ex with a court order to bring that kid here, and many 3rd world countries that can even take care of these kids also love to rob you to death.

Only time your kids get a free ride from the USCIS is during the ROC stages, there its only 80 bucks extra per kid for their ten year card. But a lot more if their conditional green cards are issued more than 90 days after yours. Even though these delays are caused by the USICS by misplacing your applications.

And the same with citizenship charging 600 bucks extra per kid for that N-600. Sure a lot of debates on this issue, with all the money spent already, I prefer to pay that 600 bucks to completey close the door with the USCIS. Then they also have that certificate that is good for their life. Also a complete guaranty you are complety free of that I-864.

You didn bring that kid here, you owe it to that kid to be completely free of the USCIS.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.