Maldez

When to renew Philippine passport

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi - I am a Philippine citizen living in the US almost 4 years now and have my green card, but my Philippine passport will expire in 2 months. How soon should I start the renewal process? We have to drive about 6 hours to the Philippine Consulate in Washington DC, and don't want to be told we can't renew until it is actually expired or some such nonsense,

Thanks!

Revelyn

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

You can renew your passport now why should you have to wait until it expire. Are you married to a US citizen? If so you can file for your US citizenship now.

Keep it Real

Timeline

You can renew your passport anytime, once you apply that is your new passport expiration date. Have you checked to see if the Philippine embassy outreach is coming to your area? Philippine embassy officials travel around the US renewing passports, register marriages, births etc. for Filipino citizens. This is very convenient, we went and drove 3 hours instead of 13! Here is the link for the Washington DC service area. Be sure your current state is served by the DC office. Different states are served by different consulates and you need to go to the correct consulate.

Washington DC schedule:

http://www.philippineembassy-usa.org/news/3059/589/2013-Consular-Outreach-Schedule/d,phildet/

On the right side of the embassy webpage is a map to locate the correct conculate.

Edited by gary9891

Timeline

You can renew your passport anytime, once you apply that is your new passport expiration date. Have you checked to see if the Philippine embassy outreach is coming to your area? Philippine embassy officials travel around the US renewing passports, register marriages, births etc. for Filipino citizens. This is very convenient, we went and drove 3 hours instead of 13! Here is the link for the Washington DC service area. Be sure your current state is served by the DC office. Different states are served by different consulates and you need to go to the correct consulate.

Washington DC schedule:

http://www.philippineembassy-usa.org/news/3059/589/2013-Consular-Outreach-Schedule/d,phildet/

On the right side of the embassy webpage is a map to locate the correct conculate.

Great! I didn't even know there was such a thing as "embassy outreach" but will be sure to check it out. Also, I had no idea I had to go to a specific consulate. The New York Consulate is actually about 2 hours closer nbut was going to go to the DC Consulate to avoid the big-city traffic of NYC. How awful that would have been to drive 6 hours to DC only to find out they can't serve me! Thank you so much!

Revelyn Molodetz

Cortland, NY

While you are at a consulate, you may also want to consider reporting your marriage to the Philippines. Also, note that if you need to travel to the PI your passport must have a validity period of 6 month. Since yours is expiring in 2 months, you will need to get a emergency travel document (also obtained at a consulate). Just a heads up.

01/12/2013: POE
02/14/2013: MARRIED ON VALENTINE'S DAY!
03/18/2013: AOS Sent via USPS Express Mail
03/28/2013: NOA - AOS, AP, EAD
04/25/2013: Biometrics

05/28/2013: RFEs for EADs and APs

06/17/2013: AOS Interviews. Approved

06/26/2013: Green Cards Received! (APs and EAD also received but not needed)

Removal of Conditions

===================================

03/25/2015: Mailed I-751

04/06/2015: NOA1

05/05/2015: Biometrics

07/27/2015: RFE

09/07/2015: RFE Response - Additional Evidence Sent

11/19/2015: Interview - APPROVED!

12/15/2016: Green Cards Issued!

Timeline

While you are at a consulate, you may also want to consider reporting your marriage to the Philippines. Also, note that if you need to travel to the PI your passport must have a validity period of 6 month. Since yours is expiring in 2 months, you will need to get a emergency travel document (also obtained at a consulate). Just a heads up.

Ah, more good information...thanks!

Revelyn

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.