catie-b

Name wrong, age wrong. Argh!

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi folks,

On the letter I received from the embassy after our NOA2, my middle name is spelled wrong (my fiance told me earlier that it's misspelled on the NOA2 as well). Also, on the vaccination form the doctors gave me after my medical, they made a typo and made me 254 instead of 25! (Which I stupidly only noticed after driving all the way back home from London). oops8rh.gif So I'm going to contact the embassy and the doctors on Monday morning to let them know.... but my question is, will calling them up and asking them to rectify it cause a delay in getting our interview date?

Thanks luv.gif

nh1Om7.png

SfBpp1.png

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

How badly is it misspelled? Is it Chirs instead of Chris or is it Sayid instead of Laurence? You could call them to let them know or you could mention it at the interview so that your visa is printed properly.

Either way it shouldn't delay your interview but if it's enough of an error they may run another name check after the interview.

Good luck!

Edited by Operator

Hi folks,

On the letter I received from the embassy after our NOA2, my middle name is spelled wrong (my fiance told me earlier that it's misspelled on the NOA2 as well). Also, on the vaccination form the doctors gave me after my medical, they made a typo and made me 254 instead of 25! (Which I stupidly only noticed after driving all the way back home from London). oops8rh.gif So I'm going to contact the embassy and the doctors on Monday morning to let them know.... but my question is, will calling them up and asking them to rectify it cause a delay in getting our interview date?

Thanks luv.gif

When was your medical? It takes a few days for them to get the blood tests back from the lab. If they still have your medical file, they can correct it before sending to the embassy, as well as mail you a corrected copy.

For the embassy, if you applied in your correct name on the DS- forms, it will likely be fine. You will be there with your birth certificate and passport in hand to show the correct spelling. Much better than calling the embassy line, which is in Scotland, and can't actually see most of your info or make changes. Meanwhile they charge £1.23/minute for the privilege of getting no help from them. You can check on it at the interview to make sure your visa will be issued with the correct spelling. A clue will be what name is on your interview letter.

The mistake was made by USCIS, unless the actual petition had a typo. Do you have a copy? Your fiancé can call the USCIS, insist on a Tier 2 person, and ask that a correction be made in the records and that they send a corrected NOA2 since it will be part of your adjustment of status documentation to send in. The embassy is part of the Dept of State and barely a kissing cousin to USCIS, so go back to USCIS to check on where the error started. The Dept of State/embassy generally won't be able to fix things at USCIS.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Timeline

When was your medical? It takes a few days for them to get the blood tests back from the lab. If they still have your medical file, they can correct it before sending to the embassy, as well as mail you a corrected copy.

For the embassy, if you applied in your correct name on the DS- forms, it will likely be fine. You will be there with your birth certificate and passport in hand to show the correct spelling. Much better than calling the embassy line, which is in Scotland, and can't actually see most of your info or make changes. Meanwhile they charge £1.23/minute for the privilege of getting no help from them. You can check on it at the interview to make sure your visa will be issued with the correct spelling. A clue will be what name is on your interview letter.

The mistake was made by USCIS, unless the actual petition had a typo. Do you have a copy? Your fiancé can call the USCIS, insist on a Tier 2 person, and ask that a correction be made in the records and that they send a corrected NOA2 since it will be part of your adjustment of status documentation to send in. The embassy is part of the Dept of State and barely a kissing cousin to USCIS, so go back to USCIS to check on where the error started. The Dept of State/embassy generally won't be able to fix things at USCIS.

My medical was Friday (28th), so I'll call them first thing tomorrow morning. I was worried it'd cause a delay in my results getting to the embassy, causing a delay in an interview date being scheduled (hoping for a mid-August interview). But thinking about it, it can't take that long for the results to make it just around the corner!

I wasn't looking forward to making that call to the embassy, as I'd heard before that the only way to contact them was via that premium rate number. So if I leave the misspelling for now, and just mention it at the interview, it won't be an issue? Surely they'll realise an error was made since it's definitely spelled correctly on the rest of our paperwork. Honestly, all this panic because someone left the "e" off the end of Jane! Haha.

I'll get Bob to call up USCIS as soon as he can though, regarding the NOA2.

Thanks so much for the helpful response!

Edited by catie-b

nh1Om7.png

SfBpp1.png

Timeline

How badly is it misspelled? Is it Chirs instead of Chris or is it Sayid instead of Laurence? You could call them to let them know or you could mention it at the interview so that your visa is printed properly.

Either way it shouldn't delay your interview but if it's enough of an error they may run another name check after the interview.

Good luck!

Ahah, it was just the "e" from the end of my middle name Jane. Sorry, I didn't see your reply before replying to Nich-Nick. So it's just a teeny tiny mistake. But enough for me to get in a flap over laughing.gif

Thanks!

nh1Om7.png

SfBpp1.png

My medical was Friday (28th), so I'll call them first thing tomorrow morning. I was worried it'd cause a delay in my results getting to the embassy, causing a delay in an interview date being scheduled (hoping for a mid-August interview). But thinking about it, it can't take that long for the results to make it just around the corner!

I wasn't looking forward to making that call to the embassy, as I'd heard before that the only way to contact them was via that premium rate number. So if I leave the misspelling for now, and just mention it at the interview, it won't be an issue? Surely they'll realise an error was made since it's definitely spelled correctly on the rest of our paperwork. Honestly, all this panic because someone left the "e" off the end of Jane! Haha.

I'll get Bob to call up USCIS as soon as he can though, regarding the NOA2.

Thanks so much for the helpful response!

Concerning being an issue. I would rather discuss it face to face with the person holding my folder and the last person who will touch my file before it goes to visa printing, over discussing it with a contractor in Scotland. The issue is getting the visa in the correct name.

Concerning the medical delay. There is a built in delay of around 3-4 days waiting on lab results. Once it is dispatched to the embassy, they can't change it. Call Monday morning.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Timeline

Concerning being an issue. I would rather discuss it face to face with the person holding my folder and the last person who will touch my file before it goes to visa printing, over discussing it with a contractor in Scotland.

Agreed. Thank you! :)

nh1Om7.png

SfBpp1.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.