bebop + rocksteady

Affd. of Support Evidence - Benefit information?

54 posts in this topic

So what is the Salary cutoff where you can stop filling out that form? It seems it wants all of that information

Ah, for the I-134?

I'll defer to someone who has completed that one (I skipped straight to the I-864). I'm sure you don't need to include asset info if your salary is sufficient.

Remember that the I-134 (and many other forms you'll encounter) are for purposes other than just 'finace', so some of the questions seem a bit odd for what you are doing.

Since the link above points to the answer, here it is: http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_1328.html

Do the same income requirements apply to all immigrant visa applicants even if they use the I-134?

No. The 125 percent minimum income requirement, the need for the most recent year's tax return and other requirements only apply when an I-864 is needed. Applicants using the I-134 will need to show that their sponsor's income is 100 percent of federal poverty guidelines as required under Section 212(a)(4) of the INA.

So where does the 125% come from that we read all over VJ in regards to the I-134?

I-129F

9-18-06 mailed I-129F to Texas !!!

10-02-06 NOA1 date CSC

12-26-06 APPROVED NOA2!!!

02-20-07 K1 VISA APPROVED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

05-12-07 MARRIED !!!!!!

AOS

06-11-07 mailed package !!!!

06-18-07 NOAs for I-485, I-765, I-131

09-21-07 GC received!!!!!

I-751 - gathering documents to send Jun 09

06-02-09 mail I-751 package !!!

06-05-09 I-751 rec'd at VSC - the clock starts now

06-08-09 I-751 NOA date

07-09-09 Biometrics

10-20-09 date of approval letter, rec'd 10-24-09

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Timeline

So where does the 125% come from that we read all over VJ in regards to the I-134?

I read that too and scratched my head

Because well-meaning people are ill-informed.

However, since 125% is going to be required when the I-485 is filed (AOS) the common wisdom is to get your ducks in a row now.

Guess this posses another question for me? What if finances are not an isuue? Say you make in excess of $70,000 a year, do you still have to go to all of the problems of locating, stock options, life insurance, 401K, roths, IRA.s, Home, property, saving, you get the point. Is there a cut off where you can sheesh I make enough money?

Jim

I do understand - as I personally fall well above your number, I have only gotten a bank letter and last year's tax transcript, being self-employed. Done.

General Information & Frequently Asked Questions Affidavit of Support (Form I-864)

Can free housing be counted as income?

Yes. Sponsors who receive housing and other benefits in place of salary may count those benefits as income. The sponsor may count income that is not subject to taxation (such as housing allowance), as well as taxable income. The sponsor would have to prove the nature and amount of any income that is not included as wages or salary or other taxable income. Evidence of such income can be shown through notations on the W-2 Form (such as Box 13 for military allowances), Form 1099 or other documents that show the claimed income.

Before I open that can of worm, other benefits, you should read 9 FAM 40.41 here....http://foia.state.gov/masterdocs/09fam/0940041N.pdf

Everything you want to know concerning "Public Charge" determination. While most is geared to the I-864 and it's higher level of evidence it does answer much about what they're looking for.

Also from the earlier link above there's this, "What can be used as assets?

Assets can be savings, stocks, bonds and property. They must be easily converted to cash."

Benefits are not easily converted to cash - actually they may not have any cash value.

I-129F

9-18-06 mailed I-129F to Texas !!!

10-02-06 NOA1 date CSC

12-26-06 APPROVED NOA2!!!

02-20-07 K1 VISA APPROVED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

05-12-07 MARRIED !!!!!!

AOS

06-11-07 mailed package !!!!

06-18-07 NOAs for I-485, I-765, I-131

09-21-07 GC received!!!!!

I-751 - gathering documents to send Jun 09

06-02-09 mail I-751 package !!!

06-05-09 I-751 rec'd at VSC - the clock starts now

06-08-09 I-751 NOA date

07-09-09 Biometrics

10-20-09 date of approval letter, rec'd 10-24-09

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Oh my! So there is no income cutoff? This will take weeks to get together, thank God I have this forum to get it all together.

Jim

Jim and Nhi

10-2-2008 Interview in Vietnam

9-1-2008 abandoned K3

7-11-08 Home from Vietnam

7-04-2008 Cleared NVC

6-26-08 NOA2 for I-129F and I-130

6-25-08 Congressional Expediting Approved

6-23-08 Return to Vietnam for visit

4-30-08 NOA1 I-130

4-17-08 NOA1 I-129F

4-10-08 I-129F mailed

3-26-08 Married in Vietnam

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Ok! like I said, OMG! good thing i am looking ahead, this is going to be a paperwork mound. Why no just ask for 2005 tax statements?

Jim and Nhi

10-2-2008 Interview in Vietnam

9-1-2008 abandoned K3

7-11-08 Home from Vietnam

7-04-2008 Cleared NVC

6-26-08 NOA2 for I-129F and I-130

6-25-08 Congressional Expediting Approved

6-23-08 Return to Vietnam for visit

4-30-08 NOA1 I-130

4-17-08 NOA1 I-129F

4-10-08 I-129F mailed

3-26-08 Married in Vietnam

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Oh my! So there is no income cutoff? This will take weeks to get together, thank God I have this forum to get it all together.

Jim

Jim,

What is the income cutoff you are referring to?

There is a minimum poverty level guideline you must meet. See form I-864P. You state that you make +sufficient income. You are not required to list/name your assets.

If you DO list any asset information, you must have the documentation to back it up.

I thought the answers you are getting are: don't include assets, but you've read it differently.

If I don't understand you, please clarify.

PS: you WILL be required to submit your 2005 (possibly 2006) income tax return. Before you ask: order the transcripts from the IRS (Free). Much better!

Edited by meauxna

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Filed: Timeline

Jim,

You can stop filling out the form at whatever point you wish. You do not have to provide (and substantiate) any information that you do not wish to provide. A decision will be made based on the information that you do provide.

The minimum for a K visa is 100% of the poverty level, but income, although a very significant item of information, is not the only item of information that goes into the decision making process. There is also something called 'the totality of the circumstances'.

Depending on their circumstances, someone whose income is marginal may want to provide whatever additional financial information they can come up with that could make them a better candidate to sponsor their fiance(e) or spouse.

Yodrak

So what is the Salary cutoff where you can stop filling out that form? It seems it wants all of that information.

Jim

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.