jguzman

CR-1 Visa : Location of Marriage

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hey all:

I have a question in regards to the location of the marriage for a CR-1 visa.

Is it considered visa fraud for the beneficiary (from Brazil) to go to the US on a tourist visa to get married, then return to her country of origin where she will stay until the CR-1 visa has successfully processed?

So it boils down to the following - will the US gov't consider the beneficiary committing visa fraud if she goes to the US on a tourist visa, gets married, returns to her country of origin and only return to the US when the CR-1 visa is complete?

After reviewing multiple sources, there are two main perspectives:

• Perspective 1 - The beneficiary committed fraud because she went to the US with the intention to marry - not leisure
  • Perspective 2 - It's OK because the beneficiary returned to her country of origin

Thank you feedback in advance!

Regards,

JG

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hey all:

Is it considered visa fraud for the beneficiary (from Brazil) to go to the US on a tourist visa to get married, then return to her country of origin where she will stay until the CR-1 visa has successfully processed?

So it boils down to the following - will the US gov't consider the beneficiary committing visa fraud if she goes to the US on a tourist visa, gets married, returns to her country of origin and only return to the US when the CR-1 visa is complete?

• Perspective 1 - The beneficiary committed fraud because she went to the US with the intention to marry - not leisure
  • Perspective 2 - It's OK because the beneficiary returned to her country of origin

Regards,

JG

it is considered visa fraud for the beneficiary (from ANY PLACE) to go to the US on a tourist visa to get married, then apply to adjust of status !!

Tourist visa is for temporary stay, if your wife adjust status, she already enter the country thinking to stay !

There is no problem to marry and come back...

But she cannot have anything related to marriage ceremony on her suitecase like

wedding dress, shoes, souvenirs, nothing that indicate she is going to marry.
    She runs the risk of being barred from the POE and sent back.

rBHLm8.png

6VHxm8.png

Filed: Timeline

Lucas:

Thank you for your insight! In regards to your last paragraph of having wedding items that could lead to her getting barred at the point of entry, is that because the US Customs Agent is trained to think that the wedding items is evidence that she will illegally stay in the US? Or is there something else I am missing?

Muito Obrigado!

JG

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Greece
Timeline

Having a wedding dress in her suitcase or any other wedding related items doesn't automatically say I'm planning to stay to a customs officer.

It totally depends on how up front she is when entering. For example, when asked about the reason of her visit, and she says vacation, and if her bags are then searched and a wedding dress is discovered, you can safely assume that the CBO will get quite suspicious.

If she says that she is here to get married and return home, then the discovery of the dress isn't an issue. She will questioned further about the wedding, so if you plan on doing that be armed to the neck with proof of ties to Brazil and that she will just be in the US for the ceremony and then return back to wait out her visa petition.

I did what you guys are planning on doing in April. I was there for 12 days. We got married at our county courthouse and then I flew back home. There is nothing wrong or illegal about getting married in the US. Its the intent on staying and adjusting status thats illegal. I was prepared to tell the CBO about the marriage if they asked me, but luckily only thing I was asked was how long I was staying and if I had and fruit or vegetables in my bags!

As for a wedding dress, to avoid carrying with her in her suitcase, she can either order it online and have it sent to the US address, or buy it in Brazil and ship it through to the US.

CR1 Visa

USCIS
08/13/2013 -- I130 Sent
08/14/2013 -- I130 NOA1 (email)

02/20/2014 -- I130 NOA2 (189 days - email)

NVC

02-28-2014 -- NVC received
04-03-2014 -- NVC case number assigned

05-22-2014 -- Case completed!!!!!!!
05-30-2014 -- Interview scheduled for July 16th 2014 08:30am

05-31-2014 -- Interview Letter received
Embassy
06-24-2014 -- Medical

07-16-2014 -- Interview Approved!!!!!
07-21-2014 -- Visa in hand
09-24-2014 -- POE

ROC
09-09-2016 -- I-751 sent
09-17-2016 -- NOA received

10-14-2016 -- Biometric appointment

08-07-2017 -- New card ordered
08-10-2017 -- New card mailed ( still no approval letter)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hey all:

Regards,

JG

It is never Visa fraud to come to US with intention of getting married. Its fraud to plan to come get married and stay and adjust status.

Many marry and return to their countries as they legally should. So come on. tell CBP I am coming to get married and going back home here is my return ticket (f course if asked only). It;s all good.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.