Dan & Joy

Co-Sponsor in Naples, Italy

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

Hello everyone, I am hoping someone could tell something positive about this case. Recently I got my Noa 2 on June 17th. I am pretty prepared for the interview with the documents I need. However, today i just saw some threads about people who got denied because the officer did not look at or want to accept the co-sponsor. Some people commented that they only accept the co-sponsor if the main sponsor makes close to the poverty line.

I applied for the K1 visa as a student, I have had part times but I was counting on my co-sponsor who is my mother. She earns well above the poverty line for three people and has two properties. I know that she meets the requirement but it would all be for nothing if they do not even look at it.

I have heard that if it gets denied, the best course of action is to get married and apply for the CR1 visa. But i am hoping for any advice in my current situation. I researched the visa extensively and everything seemed to indicate that a co-sponsor is accepted. Hopefully this is only denied on a case by case basis or if your CO is in a good mood or not. In other words, I hope there is still a chance they will look at it, instead of flat out denying it.

I would appreciate any help from people who have gone through the process recently in Italy since it seems that this is a recent trend. Of course if anyone else has ideas, that is also appreciated.

Thank you.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Hello everyone, I am hoping someone could tell something positive about this case. Recently I got my Noa 2 on June 17th. I am pretty prepared for the interview with the documents I need. However, today i just saw some threads about people who got denied because the officer did not look at or want to accept the co-sponsor. Some people commented that they only accept the co-sponsor if the main sponsor makes close to the poverty line.

I applied for the K1 visa as a student, I have had part times but I was counting on my co-sponsor who is my mother. She earns well above the poverty line for three people and has two properties. I know that she meets the requirement but it would all be for nothing if they do not even look at it.

I have heard that if it gets denied, the best course of action is to get married and apply for the CR1 visa. But i am hoping for any advice in my current situation. I researched the visa extensively and everything seemed to indicate that a co-sponsor is accepted. Hopefully this is only denied on a case by case basis or if your CO is in a good mood or not. In other words, I hope there is still a chance they will look at it, instead of flat out denying it.

I would appreciate any help from people who have gone through the process recently in Italy since it seems that this is a recent trend. Of course if anyone else has ideas, that is also appreciated.

Thank you.

Your case deals with the embassy in Italy. Don't pay attention to info that doesn't when it come to co sponsors for example. Check directly with the embassy for info on this important subject.

Include with your submission a 134 for yourself as well as your mother. Both should include tax transcripts for at least one year even though its isn't a requirement.

Also include a statement indicating your current student status and plans for what you will do when you are here in the USA as to employment and living conditions. This is your chance to express this because you wont be at the interview so think this over.

Your mother I assume is an American citizen so she would qualify if they accept co sponsors. Her income will have to be the source of the support. The real estate doesn't help because it isn't liquid.

These cases are determined on their merits and not as you may have heard on the emotional state of the officer. Keep in mind these are highly trained people with a serious job to do.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

Thank you for your answer. I know that these people are serious but some people complain about the officer's attitude affecting their decision. That aside, i will try to reach out to the embassy. I only worry because this has happened to people precisely in Italy. I will include a letter explaining my plans as you suggested. Thanks.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

Have you read this thread? http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/422767-k1-visa-application-using-a-co-sponsor/

I am confused on whether you are the petitioner of the beneficiary ("I am pretty prepared for the interview with the documents I need").

For the affidavit of support, it's only the petitioner's income that counts. If you are the petitioner and your fiance(e) is going through Naples, it seems the best course of action is for you to get a job that pays at least 100% of the poverty guidelines (125% would be safer), asap.

I hope the Consulate replies to your inquiry and everything turns out well for you, keep us posted.

Edited by a+j

- I am the beneficiary -

Timeline

Thank you for your answer. I know that these people are serious but some people complain about the officer's attitude affecting their decision. That aside, i will try to reach out to the embassy. I only worry because this has happened to people precisely in Italy. I will include a letter explaining my plans as you suggested. Thanks.

They are serious but this is usually out of ignorance in my opinion. It is important to prepare the case correctly which isn't hard to do and there are many experienced members here to assist you. If they didn't prepare right they may have not gotten what they wanted and then formed a poor opinion based on that.

You will find that every case is truly unique as such they are decided on the merits. you should do fine as long as they accept the co sponsor. Keep in mind that you will marry within the 90 days. This means that you could file the AOS ( adjustment of status ) docs very quickly which would then allow the co sponsor anyway. USCIS knows this of course. You may want to include this in your letter to show them you are aware and intend to do the AOS soon.

Timeline

yes i am the petitioner. i meant that i had the documents ready to send. unfortunately, at this point i don't think a job would help because it would only be for 2 months or so. Thanks anyways.

I have helped with at least 5 cases where the petitioner was a student just as we see here. None of those were in Italy but I believe if the case is submitted correctly it can succeed. I have made some suggestions to overcome the short term situation. Any job is better than none even if its only two months because it shows ability and will.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

Any job is better than none even if its only two months

Agree with this point.

In Eli&Dan's case (see thread above), the petitioner getting a job even let them overcome a denial that had been already issued.

Good luck.

- I am the beneficiary -

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.