Omar G.

Need Help! Wrong birth year on green card!

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Colombia
Timeline

I have a problem with my step daughters permanent resident card. We filed the I-751 to remove the conditions and we received her green card in February with the wrong birth year. I then submitted a I-90 for the correction as it was a USCIS error. We received their response the other week stating that the error wasn't theirs, that it is correct going by the information we submitted. This is FALSE! I have a copy of everything I submitted and it was a filled out on my computer and the birth year was CLEAR.

I then scheduled an INFOPASS appointment which was this morning and they said that there was nothing they can do. We need to submit a new I-90 and pay another $450!!!! If we file an appeal it will take up to a year for a decision and will be $650!!! So obviously the $450 is the fastest way to do it, BUT its not fair. They clearly made the error and now we are FORCED to pay another $450 for another green card. And I'm not sure but I hope not another I-751 because that is where it is supposedly incorrect. I don't know what to do...

My 1st reaction to this was my wife needs to file for citizenship as she is now able to as of March. Once she is a citizen, her daughter will become a citizen because she is a minor (16 yr old). But if I do that, would I need to still correct her current green card with her correct birth year? They have her birth year as 1977 instead of 1997.

This really sucks because we were going to send my step daughter to Colombia for the summer so she can be with her grandmom but now we can't. The only way they would stamp her passport to allow her to travel is if we file another I-90 (pay $450) and schedule another INFOPASS appointment with the receipt letter of the I-90.

Has anybody been through this situation? Any advice on what to do?

Thanks in advance!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I would argue some more with them. Was her birth year correct on her conditional GC? I don't know if birth year is printed on a visa, but if your wife had a K1, her daughter had a K2, but I don't think she would have been eligible if she was thirty years old in 2008.

Filed: Country: Colombia
Timeline

The conditional GC had her correct birth year. Her incorrect birth year is only on the 10 yr. GC for removal of conditions. She is now technically older than her mom!

At the appointment today, they took her expired conditional GC because she was not allowed to have 2. She clearly saw the correct birth year but she said she can't look or go by any copies I had there.

We ended the appointment on a sour note because my wife was furious that they took the card and it was out our proof of the correct birth year.

It is clearly their fault and I believe they inputed it incorrectly in their system and now we are at fault for their error.

Edited by Omar G.

Filed: Timeline

That is so sad how they just ignore their mistake, but I think it is not worth further to argue with them. They will win anyway, so just pay again that darn $460 and get a new card. But I agree with you, it is more than pathetic that they cannot admit their mistake....I'm sorry to hear this.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.