Canadian Bacon

NVC OPTIN and DS-261

15 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

So I'm still a little confused..I've gone through the wikis for the NVC stage (including Montreal beneficiary) and have seen the flowchart... one says to do the OPTIN email and while another says to wait until fees are paid or until sending the DS-261(there could be a delay?).

Which do I submit first, the OPTIN or the DS-261?

Do I need to wait until on is accepted to submit the other and/or wait until the invoices are available to be paid? It seems we wouldn't even be invoiced unless they receive the DS-261.

Thank you for your help!

Normally we would just submit them without a second thought but we're on a bit of a time constraint and don't want to cause any unnecessary delays.

S56Lm8.png
rFeXm8.png
ItOPm8.png

tumblr_mrvxcz23hi1rhdguto1_400.png
tumblr_mrvxcz23hi1rhdguto2_1280.png
tumblr_msyxny883n1rhdguto1_1280.png
19/09/13 - 3rd checklist for Police Record, claiming nothing was attached to the email. Checked sent email- it was attached (downloaded to make sure the file wasn't corrupt, it was fine.)
01/10/13 - Case complete- finally!
03/10/13 - "The National Visa Center has forwarded your file to the US Embassy/Consulate General where you are applying for an immigrant visa."- recieved P4.
22/10/13 - Medical exam - Montreal @ Medisys - Time: 1h 50m Cost: $290 for exam, $20 for flu shot, $45 dtap. Total: $355. Score 6/10 - bad/insufficient office management.

04/11/13 - Medical papers in hand. Becareful, our package was in cheap envelopes stapled together...
20-11-13 - Interview - APPROVED!

20-11-13 - ISSUED but in AP.

22-11-13 - Issued - PRINTED.

25-11-13 - shipped.

29-11-13 - picked up. smile.png

03-12-13 - Flight to Vancouver to pickup the rest of our stuff from storage. Also our first wedding anniversary. <3

04-12-13 - POE Peace Arch - Pacific Highway

06/12/13 - Home

10/01/14 - SAVE contacted SSA office on our behalf and SSA accepted the SSN application

18/01/14 - SSN arrived

22/01/14 - Received driver's license.

24/01/14 - Green card received in mail!

So I'm still a little confused..I've gone through the wikis for the NVC stage (including Montreal beneficiary) and have seen the flowchart... one says to do the OPTIN email and while another says to wait until fees are paid or until sending the DS-261(there could be a delay?).

Do I need to wait until on is accepted to submit the other and/or wait until the invoices are available to be paid? It seems we wouldn't even be invoiced unless they receive the DS-261.

Thank you for your help!

Normally we would just submit them without a second thought but we're on a bit of a time constraint and don't want to cause any unnecessary delays.

As soon as you get the case number and give over both email addresses, you can send the optin email. The DS-261 will only become available on the online forms portal a few days after the case number is assigned. The two things (optin email and DS-261) have absolutely NOTHING to do with one another, so it doesn't matter which you do first. But, since you can email the optin immediately and you have to wait for the DS-261 to become available, it only makes sense to send the optin email right away.

Be careful which wikis you read. There's one (I believe it's called NVC Electronic Processing), written by Darnell, which is focused more on the China EP process where it's extremely important to not optin until after the AOS is invoiced as for China, the process is a little different and they get a new case number after opting in, which screws up the AOS bill if you optin too early. For Canada though, follow the wiki I wrote ;)

You can do both at the same time! The guides that say to wait for the OPTIN are specific for China as they do not have online forms available but can do EP.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

It can take a while for the OPTIN to be accepted to so send it ASAP. I think mine was accepted 6 days after I was able to send in the AOS so I couldn't send the AOS via EP until it was accepted. It worked out anyway because my husband didn't have the AOS done for another week after that. /facedesk

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Thank you for your help!

No do not wait for fees to be paid. You can go ahead and OPTIN that was one of the first things I did before receiving additional instructions from NVC. The ball is pretty much in your court by taking the lead during the NVC process. And once the DS261 is available then go ahead and fill it out and submit on your time not NVC. In my case I received OPTIN confirmation email enrollment after DS261 and AOS fee became available.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Okay, thanks for everyone's help! :D

The funny thing is I called last night and was told we were just assigned all our case numbers yesterday and I signed in this morning to the portal where the DS-261 is located and it's already available to fill out. I'm sending the OPTIN email now.

I tried to sign into the payment portal but got an error saying our case was in the process of termination. I figured it was just an error since nothing has been invoiced yet.

S56Lm8.png
rFeXm8.png
ItOPm8.png

tumblr_mrvxcz23hi1rhdguto1_400.png
tumblr_mrvxcz23hi1rhdguto2_1280.png
tumblr_msyxny883n1rhdguto1_1280.png
19/09/13 - 3rd checklist for Police Record, claiming nothing was attached to the email. Checked sent email- it was attached (downloaded to make sure the file wasn't corrupt, it was fine.)
01/10/13 - Case complete- finally!
03/10/13 - "The National Visa Center has forwarded your file to the US Embassy/Consulate General where you are applying for an immigrant visa."- recieved P4.
22/10/13 - Medical exam - Montreal @ Medisys - Time: 1h 50m Cost: $290 for exam, $20 for flu shot, $45 dtap. Total: $355. Score 6/10 - bad/insufficient office management.

04/11/13 - Medical papers in hand. Becareful, our package was in cheap envelopes stapled together...
20-11-13 - Interview - APPROVED!

20-11-13 - ISSUED but in AP.

22-11-13 - Issued - PRINTED.

25-11-13 - shipped.

29-11-13 - picked up. smile.png

03-12-13 - Flight to Vancouver to pickup the rest of our stuff from storage. Also our first wedding anniversary. <3

04-12-13 - POE Peace Arch - Pacific Highway

06/12/13 - Home

10/01/14 - SAVE contacted SSA office on our behalf and SSA accepted the SSN application

18/01/14 - SSN arrived

22/01/14 - Received driver's license.

24/01/14 - Green card received in mail!

Okay, thanks for everyone's help! biggrin.png

The funny thing is I called last night and was told we were just assigned all our case numbers yesterday and I signed in this morning to the portal where the DS-261 is located and it's already available to fill out. I'm sending the OPTIN email now.

I tried to sign into the payment portal but got an error saying our case was in the process of termination. I figured it was just an error since nothing has been invoiced yet.

Likely your AOS is being invoiced right now. That seems to be the new "error" and what a dreadful sounding error it is. Jerks! LOL

That's about the speed it happened to me for my case numbers, DS-261 and AOS invoice.

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Timeline

Guys I need your input, I have already submitted by DS 261, Also my AOS fee and AOS documents have been submitted. However we were not sure about the OPTIN email thingy. So we sent that request after we submitted all the Fees (AOS and IV) and submitting the DS 261 and AOS package. Would that matter. It's been like 7 business days today and we still havent sseen the confirmation of acceptance of the OPTIN email

What should I do!

Thanks

You've already submitted the AOS package physically? Then why not just submit the IV package the same way? You can't send anything by email for EP until the OPTIN is accepted fyi.
Just to note my timeline:

03/06/2013 - Received
03/20/2013 - Case #s
03/20/2013 - OPTIN Sent
03/21/2013 - DS-261 Sent
03/22/2013 - AOS Paid
03/28/2013 - IV Paid
03/28/2013 - OPTIN Accepted
03/31/2013 - IV Sent
04/04/2013 - AOS Sent
04/15/2013 - Case Complete!
05/01/2012 - Interview letter (P4)

Edited by NikiR

Yea, but from Canada if I mail in the IV package, it will again take like a week for it to get there in the US. Also, is that an issue if my AOS has been submitted already by mail (by my wife) and we're submitting IV package seperately.

I always thought AOS was to be submitted in hard copy anyways.

Nope it can be done via EP, you just have to bring the original to the interview.

Your OPTIN should be gotten to soon. It takes up to 2 weeks for the NVC to read emails. If they haven't gotten by the time you can pay the IV bill, send the email again with Supervisor review in the subject line as well to get a move on.

*** removed duplicate thread by A-singh regarding same subject as question was answered here***

If the NVC has your AOS package they will send it to Montreal. I took mine because I send it via email for EP.

If you've already submitted the DS-260 you have two choices, you can wait for the OPTIN email or just courier the package to the NVC. Your choice. Once they get it, it takes the same amount of time to review it from email as it does from physically having the file. You can courier it to them in a few days. Up to you really. :)

Thanks! Also one last thing, I've read a number of posts and forums but still not sure what do we do with the Photographs? Do I scan and send them as part of the email.

Also, for all the documents, do I just send 1 PDF with all the docs embedded in it, or different PDFs

Here is the list of documents that I'm planning to send

1. Birth Certificate

2. marriage Certificate

3. Police clearance (all that apply to me - India/Canada)

4. Canadian Status Certifiacte

5. Passport Copy

6. Pictures - 2 scanned (maybe)

Am I missing anything ?

1 pdf with all those pages

send the pictures as well but they will send you a checklist saying they don't accept scanned pictures and to bring them to the interview. I say send them with the package because then they know you have them.

Make sure you have the bar coded cover page first and I like to have a cover sheet detailing what is inside the package, but that's personal preference.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.