Green173

Some Questions about not living together

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello all,

I have been reading through the different threads on this forum and found it very useful and insightful. I do however have some questions that maybe some of you can help me with.

I recently got married to my girlfriend of 6 years who is from the US. We met in Europe several years ago, dated for about a year, then lived together there for about 2 years Through the company I worked with I had an opportunity to come to the US. As she was still studying in university at the time I received the offer to come and work in the US, but with only 9 months to complete her studies, I decided to take the position knowing that she would be finished in 9 months and she would then move back to the US to be with me.

So I moved here in the fall of 2010 on company sponsored program and my girlfriend arrived in May of 2011. She moved in with me and we lived together for the next year and a half, she found work and everything was great. But she then lost her job and could not find work. She was unemployed for about 4months. She then had to move some 4 hours away to get a job. So we are currently living apart. We recently got married and would like to start the process of me getting a green card so that we can be together again and allow me to pursue employment opportunities in the city she is working in. Now we commute every weekend, either I drive to her, or she drives to me and call every day. Some other information we have are

• pictures of us together in Europe with my family and friends
  • pictures of us together in US with my wife's family and friends
  • 100's of emails
  • Lease documents from both Europe and US
  • Shared Renters Insurance
  • Shared Cell Phone Bill
  • Shared Car Insurance
  • Joint Bank Accounts both in US and Europe

So the two points that are concerning us is that our wedding was extremely low key as we are planning a bigger event next year where my family will be attending, so pictures of that are just of the two of us. And the fact that we are now living apart due to the work issue.

Do you think this would be a major concern that we are living apart and that our wedding was low key? I appreciate you taking the time to read my situation and replying.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from Adjustment of Status from Family Based Visas forum to Adjustment of Status from Work, Student, & Tourist Visas forum.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

I don't see an issue here.

It's legitimate why you live apart and you have lots of supporting evidence of prove you are a real couple

thanks for responding KDH. We certainly feel that we have enough supporting info and that it is a legitimate reason why we are living apart, but you hear of particulars in certain cases and I am just concerned that it will be a red flag.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

thanks for responding KDH. We certainly feel that we have enough supporting info and that it is a legitimate reason why we are living apart, but you hear of particulars in certain cases and I am just concerned that it will be a red flag.

I think it may come up in the interview, but I would hope you could present your case in a convincing manner.

It all seems pretty straight forward to me.

I don't know much about work visas but I think you HAVE to work at the company that you have a visa with, right?

So I get it that you can't move. Hopefully they would too.

oldlady.gif

I think it may come up in the interview, but I would hope you could present your case in a convincing manner.

It all seems pretty straight forward to me.

I don't know much about work visas but I think you HAVE to work at the company that you have a visa with, right?

So I get it that you can't move. Hopefully they would too.

Yes, I have to work with that company and only that company.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

You mentioned you are commuting every weekend...as someone mentioned keep your toll receipts if it's an option. If you are using a train.. keep your tickets. Also, maybe print out credit card statements showing you used your card at her location (for say gas, dinnes, movies etc) and that she used hers where you are living. Also, bring phone records of you calling eachother every day!

I think you guys will be just fine! Good luck!

Also, my husband and I were married in a very small ceremony.... we are also planning a larger celebration for family and friends when we have the money to do so. It's not about the size of your wedding... it's that you are truly in a legitimate marriage together! :)

04/01/2013 (day 0) - AOS packet sent via FedEx (I-130, I-485, I-765)
04/02/2013 (day 1) - Delivered to USCIS Chicago
04/10/2013 (day 9) - Received USCIS Acceptance Confirmation email. Awaiting official receipt notice (Form I-797) in the mail!
04/15/2013 (day 14) - Received NOA in mail, Biometrics appointment for 5/7/2013.
04/17/2013 (day 16) - Attempted walk in for biometrics = denied

05/07/2013 (day 36) - Biometrics appointment completed in Baltimore, MD

05/15/2013 (day 44) - I-485 updated to Testing & Interview! No changes for EAD or I-131.

05/23/2013 (day 52) - NOA for interview date and time received in mail

05/25/2013 (day 54) - NOA that our interview has been cancelled. No updates for EAD.

06/05/2013 (day 65) - Online EAD update to " Card Production"

06/06/2013 (day 66) - Online update that interview has been re-scheduled for 7/10 smile.pngsmile.png

06/07/2013 (day 67) - NOA in mail for scheduled interview 7/10

06/11/2013 (day 71) - EAD card is in the mail! (online status update)

06/12/2013 (day 72) - EAD USPS tracking number (online update)

06/13/2013 (day 73) - EAD card in hand!!

06/14/2013 (day 74) - AR-11 filed online for change of address

06/19/2013 (day 79) - Change of address aknowledged in online case status

06/20/2013 (day 80) - SSN in hand

06/24/2013 (day 84) - NOA for change of address

06/26/2013 (day 86) - Interview --> cancelled by USCIS

06/29/2013 (day 89) - NOA, Interview cancelled AGAIN!

07/10/2013 (day 100) - Interview --> cancelled by USCIS

08/14/2013 (day135) - Letter for interview schedule 9/4/2013!!

09/04/2013 9 (day 155) - Interview! Approved on the spot!! biggrin.pngbiggrin.png

09/12/2013 (day 164) - Green card in hand!

You mentioned you are commuting every weekend...as someone mentioned keep your toll receipts if it's an option. If you are using a train.. keep your tickets. Also, maybe print out credit card statements showing you used your card at her location (for say gas, dinnes, movies etc) and that she used hers where you are living. Also, bring phone records of you calling eachother every day!

I think you guys will be just fine! Good luck!

Also, my husband and I were married in a very small ceremony.... we are also planning a larger celebration for family and friends when we have the money to do so. It's not about the size of your wedding... it's that you are truly in a legitimate marriage together! smile.png

Thanks woods, I have that information, toll receipts, credit card statements and phone records. I am hoping we will be fine. it seems that we just have to focus on all the other things and carefully explain why we are living apart right now.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.