Zerovoltz

Why don't vietnamese people like Mexican food?

27 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

....wow...looks like it's more common than I thought. Theres a local place here called Sol Azteca. They have a "Fajita Quesadilla" and it is from heaven. Shrimp, steak, chicken, red and green peppers, onion, and tomato cooked fajita style, put into a quesadilla with melted white cheese sauce inside and out....I was sure my darling Yen would like it..but even this food from god was rejected...and even more sad is that this thing is BIG and CHEAP...5.50 and I can't finish it...and I can finish a large pizza if I want to.

Oh well.

When Yen first got here I thought wow...this is going to be tough..she didn't like ANYTHING. Now she likes pizza, popeyes chicken and mashed potatos. Wendys french fries, and McGriddles for breakfast. She also likes my homemade Chili and she makes DAMN GOOD spaghetti wich she and I both really like. Theres also a japanese grill place here that we go to occasionally that she enjoys.

....I'm still saddend that I must sit and eat my chips and salsa alone after work when she's not home :( I almost feel like I'm cheating on her when I eat mexican behind her back :)

GARY va YEN

us-flag1-ss.gif..... vn_sud-flag1-ss.gif

***USA*** AND VIETNAM

Link to our webpage: Click HERE

A short timeline:

October 2003, Introduced to YEN by her cousin whom I work with. We like each other etc etc etc..and so on

February 3, 2004, I go to Vietnam to meet her. Things go well so on

February 9, 2004, we get engaged and have the big ceremony and then on

February 14, 2004, I get back on the plane and come home. By about the middle of May I have everything ready to send in to USCIS for the I-29 and on

May 18, 2004 the Nebraska service center recieves the petition. And on

August 28, 2004 I recieve approval notice from NSC. On

October 18, 2004, Yen recieves Packet 3, fills it out, turns it in and on

December 13, 2004 Yen recieves Packet 4, she takes care of it, does the medical etc etc and the interview is scheduled for

January 4, 2005. Yen arrives for her interview and FAILS! So I call and find out what went wrong and they require additional evidence including a 5 minute video of me speaking vietnamese, a tax document that was already in the file, and some letters from me about how and when we met, when and where the engagement was, things we have in common and how our relationship progressed. So on

February 25, 2005 I go back to Vietnam to visit my em oi and on

March 2, 2005 she and I go to the consulate to give them the Video etc. They tell us to expect to wait another 2-6 months. I decide on

March 10, 2005 to give the consulate copies of my airplane tickets, visa and ticket stubs for Yen and I's trip to Phu Quoc. Unexpectedly on

March 23, I get an email from the consulate telling me that our case is APPROVED! So on or about

April 25, 2005 Yen arrives in Kansas City, MO, USA!

Now going through the rest of the process here.

LIFE IS GOOD!

Timeline
zerovoltz

What Vietnamese food does your wife cook at home?

Yes, my wife likes Popeye's also, occasionally.

Pho, Bun, Thap Cam, RICE, fish, other soups, eggrolls, hot pot, other stuff I don't recognize.

GARY va YEN

***USA*** AND VIETNAM

A short timeline:

October 2003, Introduced to YEN by her cousin whom I work with. We like each other etc etc etc..and so on

February 14, 2004, I get back on the plane and come home. By about the middle of May I have everything ready to send in to USCIS for the I-29 and on

December 13, 2004 Yen recieves Packet 4, she takes care of it, does the medical etc etc and the interview is scheduled for

January 4, 2005. Yen arrives for her interview and FAILS! So I call and find out what went wrong and they require additional evidence including a 5 minute video of me speaking vietnamese, a tax document that was already in the file, and some letters from me about how and when we met, when and where the engagement was, things we have in common and how our relationship progressed. So on

March 2, 2005 she and I go to the consulate to give them the Video etc. They tell us to expect to wait another 2-6 months. I decide on

March 10, 2005 to give the consulate copies of my airplane tickets, visa and ticket stubs for Yen and I's trip to Phu Quoc. Unexpectedly on

March 23, I get an email from the consulate telling me that our case is APPROVED! So on or about

LIFE IS GOOD!

Filed: Country: Vietnam
Timeline

zerovoltz

Pho, Bun, Thap Cam, RICE, fish, other soups, eggrolls, hot pot, other stuff I don't recognize.

I have banned cooking fish for Vietnamese meals in my house.

20-July -03 Meet Nicole

17-May -04 Divorce Final. I-129F submitted to USCIS

02-July -04 NOA1

30-Aug -04 NOA2 (Approved)

13-Sept-04 NVC to HCMC

08-Oc t -04 Pack 3 received and sent

15-Dec -04 Pack 4 received.

24-Jan-05 Interview----------------Passed

28-Feb-05 Visa Issued

06-Mar-05 ----Nicole is here!!EVERYBODY DANCE!

10-Mar-05 --US Marriage

01-Nov-05 -AOS complete

14-Nov-07 -10 year green card approved

12-Mar-09 Citizenship Oath Montebello, CA

May '04- Mar '09! The 5 year journey is complete!

Timeline

zerovoltz

I have unsuccessfully tried to ban Pork with fishsauce from being cooked in my house. Also, if she cooks ANYTHING with lemongrass in it, I refuse to eat it.

I have succeeded in getting fish from being cooked FOR NOW because I convinced her that mercury in fish is bad for pregnancies.

GARY va YEN

***USA*** AND VIETNAM

A short timeline:

LIFE IS GOOD!

zerovoltz

I have unsuccessfully tried to ban Pork with fishsauce from being cooked in my house. Also, if she cooks ANYTHING with lemongrass in it, I refuse to eat it.

I have succeeded in getting fish from being cooked FOR NOW because I convinced her that mercury in fish is bad for pregnancies.

oh fish sauce is the worst... Thai and vietnamese alike share a fetish for that putrid stuff. I remember I bought a bottle of the Fish Sauce for my fiancee while we in Korea. And you have to pierce the top of the bottle to open it. Well i did that, and then stupidly i gave it a little squeeze, and a nice stream shot right into my mouth and onto my face. It was the most horrible food related incident of my life.

21FUNNY.gif

Timeline

Fish sauce is make from anchovy extract. You have to mix it to make it good. Fish sauce is taste great. But if it's accidentally break in your car trunk it will remind you of your careless for the rest of the car life expectancy.

Timeline

2006-07-10 : I-129F sent to TSC

2007-03-24 : Leave for Vietnam

2007-03-29 : Blue slip and then PINK

2007-04-03 : Picked Up Visa

2007-04-07 : POE in Chicago

2007-04-11 : Married In Court

2007-04-23 : SSN applications submit

2007-05-01 : SSN Recevied

2007-05-17 : AOS + EAD Sent

2007-05-29 : I-765 EAD NOA received

2007-05-31 : I-485 AOS NOA received

2007-08-01 : EAD received

2007-08-02 : Green Card AOS received

Life is good...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I also dont like Mexican at first - the only thing i'd eat was Fijita (sp?) and Guagamole (I dont remember how to say it.. I always mixed up words) I dont really like mexican rice.. I always feel that mexican food is quite boring :blush: well.. now I have one more dish I like at Mexican (still dont rememebr how to say it.. lol )

But what I find interesting is that at China Buffet there would be at least 2 mexican families there.. so may be numbers of Asian people dont like Mexican food but Mexican like Asian food? :blush:

For those of you who dont like fish sauce... I know how you feel but belive me... It smell bad but it taste good (my NH Host family put it that way) Bram would eat fish sauce with lime and some hot pepper in it just like Thai people.. and even asked for it before i would too.. But if you dont like it.. Just never touch it so the smell wont stick on yur hand (and they do stick for a long time :lol: )

I'm so lucky my hubby love my food and love (and even help) me cook Thai food too

K-1 = 4 months

AOS = 5 months

I-751 = almost one year

I Love My Life With You

"A society is judged by how it treats its animals and elderly"

Timeline
I also dont like Mexican at first - the only thing i'd eat was Fijita (sp?) and Guagamole (I dont remember how to say it.. I always mixed up words) I dont really like mexican rice.. I always feel that mexican food is quite boring :blush: well.. now I have one more dish I like at Mexican (still dont rememebr how to say it.. lol )

But what I find interesting is that at China Buffet there would be at least 2 mexican families there.. so may be numbers of Asian people dont like Mexican food but Mexican like Asian food? :blush:

For those of you who dont like fish sauce... I know how you feel but belive me... It smell bad but it taste good (my NH Host family put it that way) Bram would eat fish sauce with lime and some hot pepper in it just like Thai people.. and even asked for it before i would too.. But if you dont like it.. Just never touch it so the smell wont stick on yur hand (and they do stick for a long time :lol: )

I'm so lucky my hubby love my food and love (and even help) me cook Thai food too

Strangely enough the chinese buffets located in the hispanic areas of KC are JAM PACKED with mexican people. They seem to love chinese food. Interesting.

GARY va YEN

***USA*** AND VIETNAM

A short timeline:

LIFE IS GOOD!

Timeline

My wife doesn't like it either. She says she doesn't like the smell of the beans. Also, she has diarhea everytimes she eats a taco or burrito. Hmmm... Go figure. :|

-------------------------------------------------------------

2005-06-18 - I-129F sent to USCIS

2005-07-19 - NOA2!

2005-10-29 - Case is at HCMC Consulate

2005-11-25 - Date Rec Instructions (Pkt 3)

2006-02-09 - Date Complete Instructions (Pkt 3)

2006-04-05 - Date Rec Appointment Letter (Pkt 4)

2006-05-12 - Interview Date

2006-05-12 - Passed - Got the pink slip!!!

2006-05-15 - Visa Received

2006-06-05 - Anh in CALIFORNIA

-------------------------------------------------------------

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Interesting discussion. I cannot keep my wife out of Mexican restaurants. She loves them and off the top of her brain can tell you which ones have the best salsa from Arkansas to Los Angeles. She hates refried beans though.

I enjoy my trips to Cambodia, Laos and Viet Nam because of the good bread and coffee available there. Thailand used to have nothing but Nescafe. The French left Indo China good bread and good coffee, and that's all they left them.

Bob

Bob & Mon

• 8 years later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.