Sami0101010001

K1 Co Sponsor

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

Hello,

I have a friend that he is welling to help me as a co sponsor, however my friend is sponsoring his wife next year for AOS. The have a baby too so my question is: Can he sponsor his wife and my fiancée? He makes $36,000 a year and a make $23,800.

Thanks for your help.

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

I'm not sure about the answer to your original question, but a clarification on the last part. Did you mean to say you make 23,800? If that is the case you are above the 125% poverty level unless you have 3 or more people under your household.

1 person = $11,490 (125%: 14,363)

2 people = $15,510 (125%: 19,388)
3 People = $19,530 (125%: 24,413)

If you have 3 and over then well then i'm just running off at the mouth. laughing.gif

Edited by St&Sv

“Even the smallest act of caring for another person is like a drop of water -it will make ripples throughout the entire pond...”

― Jessy and Bryan Matteo

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

You may want to check into the cosponsor with Algeria. I know for fiance visas some people have had issues with cosponsors that were not direct family members.

I am not sure how your joint custody comes into play and counting them or not. Do your kids physically live with you?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

To answer your question about whether your friend can sponsor his wife and your fiancee, the short answer is yes IF his income is sufficient. On the affidavit of support he has to include every member of his household, any children he has regardless of custody or whether they live with him, and every person he sponsors.

So from what details you gave, he is a household of 3 currently (himself, his wife and baby). If he supports your fiancee as well, he will be a household of 4 (himself, his wife, his baby, your fiancee). His income of $36,000 is sufficient and well above the poverty line of $29,437 for a household size of 4.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

To answer your question about whether your friend can sponsor his wife and your fiancee, the short answer is yes IF his income is sufficient. On the affidavit of support he has to include every member of his household, any children he has regardless of custody or whether they live with him, and every person he sponsors.

So from what details you gave, he is a household of 3 currently (himself, his wife and baby). If he supports your fiancee as well, he will be a household of 4 (himself, his wife, his baby, your fiancee). His income of $36,000 is sufficient and well above the poverty line of $29,437 for a household size of 4.

Again, assuming the embassy would accept this. There have been multiple cases where the embassy in Algeria would not take a friend that made plenty of money as a cosponsor for a fiance visa. Serendipity9 was still dealing with this exact issue in February of this year.

So yes, the income is enough to be a co-sponsor, but OP, you may want to check with the embassy if they would accept them being outside of immediate family members. Unless of course you don't mid taking the gamble.

To me, I always preferred better safe than sorry through the process.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

Is there anyway you can increase your income? Pick up a second job?

Algiers Embassy will tell you that they will give consideration to a "credible" co-sponsor, that is they have to be convinced that the co-sponsor would in fact have a very compelling reason to support the applicant if necessary- seems close relatives are the best bet for that. What they deem "credible" gives a lot of discretionary wiggle-room for them, obviously, which could go either way. As Medroni noted above, my case was initially refused on the basis of "public charge" because they didn't accept the co-sponsor we had (a long-time friend of mine).

Your kids will count as your dependents, even in joint custody (actually even if they didn't reside with you at all, they'd still be counted in your household size, assuming they're minors).

All you can do is try... and don't give up! Things can have an extraordinary way of turning around if you persevere :) Best of luck to you.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.