w¡n9Nµ7 §£@¥€r

High school pulls newspaper over racist opinion piece

32 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Carson High School pulled this month's school newspaper because of an anonymous article that likened rowdy black students at a nearby Taco Bell to "a pack of monkeys."

The article, titled "Looks like the circus is in town," was on the editorial page of the issue distributed Tuesday, school officials said.

The piece describes raucous and impolite behavior: "The one thing that I hate more than anything is standing in that line with dumb-as$ people paying and acting a fool around me."

The writer says most of the crowd is black and variously describes the students as stupid, rude, immature and insensitive, summing up: "When I go to Taco Bell, I want to go to a restaurant, NOT A ZOO! Stop acting like animals … behave and clean up after yourself."

The newspaper's student editor, Alex De Vera, and faculty advisor Gregory Vieira said they were in full agreement with the principal's decision to pull the paper. They said the article escaped their normal vetting because the page was late and only two people saw the piece in advance — its writer and the page editor.

[...]

The school of 3,450 students is 44.3% Latino, 23.1% Filipino, 21.5% African American and 11.1% other ethnicities.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-ca...-home-headlines

Edited by Gupt

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

from the ebonics translator

" You bettah stop jivin' bad about us or we'll come an' smoke yo' ### Jus' like Orenthawl James."

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

They should expell the student who wrote it as well.

Why?

Is he not allowed to have an opinion about how people are acting in public? Where were the racial slurs? I only read that he described them as acting like animals. I've said the same thing about people of all racial backgrounds, if they were indeed acting like animals.

It's only "racial" if someone associates monkeys or animals with blacks. So far, I've only seen the "liberal" here do that.

Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. ####### coated bastards with ####### filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bobble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

just wrong..the article was written with bias as evident from the choice of words

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Why?

Is he not allowed to have an opinion about how people are acting in public? Where were the racial slurs? I only read that he described them as acting like animals. I've said the same thing about people of all racial backgrounds, if they were indeed acting like animals.

It's only "racial" if someone associates monkeys or animals with blacks. So far, I've only seen the "liberal" here do that.

It's the connotation of refering to them as monkeys. Like I've said before, try going up to a cop and call him a pig vs. somebody else and see if you get the same reaction.

Why?

It's the connotation of refering to them as monkeys. Like I've said before, try going up to a cop and call him a pig vs. somebody else and see if you get the same reaction.

Should a high school kid be expelled for calling a cop a pig? IMO, no. Nor should he be expelled for writing this article. Disciplinary action should, however, be directed at the gatekeepers of the newspaper... the people who were responsible for keeping this sort of content out of the paper to begin with.

*shrugs*

I still fail to see the offense in the article/letter. If people prefer to see themselves as monkeys and take offense at an article that shows no racial bias that I can see, then the problem is theirs, not the authors'.

Sounds like someone WANTING to find prejudice/racism to me.

Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. ####### coated bastards with ####### filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bobble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

Timeline

Why?

Should a high school kid be expelled for calling a cop a pig? IMO, no. Nor should he be expelled for writing this article. Disciplinary action should, however, be directed at the gatekeepers of the newspaper... the people who were responsible for keeping this sort of content out of the paper to begin with.

I think it would depend on how well defined the school paper's guidelines were. If the student knowingly violated those guidelines, I don't think expelling them would be too extreme. I've heard of students being expelled for less.

Ok, I've just read the entire article on the website.

"Just in case of any potential problems, Keener requested extra security from the school district but said the incident provoked only classroom discussions and some calls from parents."

The only racism I've seen in this whole thing is white people saying that blacks are apparently like monkeys, and that violence is to be expected (see quote above) because of the comments in the paper.

Funny that....it's always the PC people who make it worse.

Timeline
Ok, I've just read the entire article on the website.

"Just in case of any potential problems, Keener requested extra security from the school district but said the incident provoked only classroom discussions and some calls from parents."

The only racism I've seen in this whole thing is white people saying that blacks are apparently like monkeys, and that violence is to be expected (see quote above) because of the comments in the paper.

Funny that....it's always the PC people who make it worse.

Calling a black person a monkey is a racial slur and it has been used before...

NBA Fan Banned for Calling Player 'Monkey'

The fan who allegedly directed a racial slur at Houston Rockets center Dikembe Mutombo was banned for the season Monday by the NBA and Orlando Magic.

http://www.drudge.com/news/87053/nba-fan-b...g-player-monkey

Edited by Steven_and_Jinky

Wow. Some people are REALLY sensitive. "Monkey" isn't used in that way around here, at least not that I've heard. ESPECIALLY when you say that some group of people were ACTING like monkeys. If a group of people are being unruly and rude, it might be described as being a "madhouse" or a "zoo" in there. How people make the connection between someone saying that a group of people were acting like monkeys and someone calling a person a monkey is beyond me.

I guess when I was a kid and my teacher used to tell us that this was a classroom, not a zoo, and that we were acting like a bunch of crazy monkeys, we should have been offended. Especially the two black kids in my class. Guess they didn't have a white, PC, "Big Brother" there to tell them they should be offended.

I've been called a monkey before.

I was even born in the year of the monkey.

Am I to be offended because of that? If so, then I'm offended at all the references to the word "monkey" in this thread.

I also claim all vowels as being part of my culture and feel that you're being incredibly insensitive if you continue to use them, here or offline. (I mean, if the word "monkey" cannot be used due to racial issues.....then you all must stop your hateful use of vowels)

And based on the ethnic breakdown of the school.....isn't it the majority picking on the minority to not let the whities print their opinion? Why shouldn't everyone else be expelled for such oppressive actions?

discuss please

Disclaimer: I am a smart-a55. Anything I say can and will be used against you in whatever forum I so choose. My posts are based on my own perspective, and should not be taken as anything other than my own opinion. Any resemblance to real people, living or dead, is coincidental. Minimum system requirements are a human brain, version 1.0. Suggested system requirements are a human brain version 1.0 with a sense of humor and a logical thought processor above 1.0 beta. Should not be used by children. Hazardous when wet.

B3 5C 0C E2 91 8B 91 F8 7A 2C 7E E4 17 79 FA D6

And based on the ethnic breakdown of the school.....isn't it the majority picking on the minority to not let the whities print their opinion?

Why do you assume the author was white? Referring to raucous behavior on the part of African-Americans as 'monkey-like' is certainly not something only white people do. I've heard it from Latinos, East Asians and South Asians as well. Heck, given the racial makeup of that school, the author is more likely to be Latino or East Asian than white.