14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi! I came here on a fiance visa. I am so confused with all the information i'm receiving with adjustment of status. Correct me if I'm wrong in these areas:

a) I prepared all the paperworks for AOS in this forum. With all of my readings from the past I assume that the AOS approval would take almost 2 years, you first need to be interviewed and submit all supporting documents that you're a couple, and then you will receive your greencard. That's why we need to submit the I-765 EAD inorder to work legally in the US (cause ithe EAD will be approved earlier 2-3 months?) That way, while waiting for your AOS to be approved, you can get a job.

B) From other sources as well, EAD is an option. If I submit my AOS it would be approved in 3-4 months and NOT 2 years? By then, I would get my greencard in 4 months. SO If i want to work within the 4 months of waiting, I should file EAD and pay $180.

* Which of the above is correct? a or b?

* Assuming B is correct, what happens after i get my greencard?

-What will the future interview for?

-How will I know that I will have an interview coming? Will they give me another case number?

*What will my current status be?

I do hope somebody can help me out, my mind is so messed up right now and any advice from you guys would be highly appreciated.

(CHECK MY PROFILE INFORMATION FOR COMPLETE SIGNATURE)

August 19, 2006 VISA ON HAND!!!

September 5, 2006- POE @ SFO

September 8, 2006- Applied for SSN

SSN arrived more than a month after.. GRRR!!

November 8, 2006- MARRIED @ San Francisco City Hall

November 21, 2006- Received official marriage certificate

Dec. 19, 2006- sent out AOS

Jan. 3, 2007- Cashed cheques for AOS and EAD

March 15, 2007- AOS interview; APPROVED!!

March 23, 2007- Welcome letter/notice received from mail

March 27, 2007- GREENCARD

Sept 5, 2007 - my first anniversary in the U.S

Jan 30, 2009 - Mailed I-751 removal of conditional residence status

Feb 2, 2009 - Package mailed 10:22 AM at Laguna Niguel, CA (CSC)

Feb 5, 2009 - Check cashed

Feb 26, 2009 Biometrics

The Newlyweds: DJ and PRINCESS

watch clearer version[/color]

mylove.jpg

Hi djcess,

First, CONGRATS! for your wedding, nice to hear about u again. Anyway, about your questions... i won't focus on it much, but i will tell you about my experience with filling my AOS.

I sent my application for AOS "with" EAD together at chicago lockbox. EAD is needed if you really want to work early than waiting for the greencard. But yes, EAD is an option ... you could apply or not.

But with regards with the "approval" of your AOS, they have a timeline for the processing of it as they say 6 months or 1 year, or 2 years. It's because jurisdiction of USCIS upon to your AOS application depends on how they find your case approvable early or not.

Approval of EAD is depends upon your service center how fast or slow they could process it, but EAD usually granted 3 months, not unlike me came upon 4 months (my guess it happened bcos of the one who handle my case and upon the followup of my local office). Upon the approval of my AOS, it came a little early about the notice took me 4months, but its just an email i received, depends until i got the "physical" greencard and welcome to US letter itself in my mailbox or hand.

So if ever i got my greencard maybe 1-2 months which is the "processing timeline" they emailed me upon sending the welcome letter and greencard. My EAD is not use-able anymore, if my greencard arrived, though I took the risk of losing amount of $180 for EAD, but i don't regret it because i knew my case is different, i filed K1/K2. But luckily my AOS approved early but my son K2 AOS though was still pending now.

So my advice, you have to be the one to decide, but EAD is optional, but you don't know when you will approve your AOS or how long it gonna be the greencard in your hand.

The problems or results sometimes you will read to some other VJ experiences:

- approved EAD early

- pending EAD bcos of RFE's of your AOS (mostly did received RFE for affidavit of support).

- pending cases of AOS because of (RFE) asking for more documents

- approved AOS a little early from 6 months, but waiting or pending for FBI namecheck for quite long months

- approved AOS thru after interview but still getting RFE's

- approved AOS without interview (like me) but still waiting the arrival of the greencard itself

- approved AOS early being transferred to CSC (like me) "but" some people after they've been notice of transfer their cases sent back again to MSC for further interview or checking cases.

- approval of EAD in processing timeline, and approval of AOS early from its processing timeline.

it's really depends, regular EAD processing is 90 days (3 months), and regular processing of AOS is 6 months. again depends how they find your case approvable.

Goodluck! and godbless!

-rebelheart-

07-13-06 - K1/K2 AOS/EAD sent

11-04-06 - 2 NOA's transfer to CSC

11-17-06 - "K1 APPROVED AOS" no interview

11-27-06 - "K1 - GREENCARD" rcvd.

01-23-07 - K2 GREENCARD rcvd.

08-20-08 - I-751 sent to Texas Service Center, transfer to VSC

08-26-08 - I-751 NOA1 & 1yr. Extension letter

09-18-08 - I-751 NOA2 - Biometrics Appointment Notice

03-11-09 - I-751 transfer from VSC to CSC!

05-13-09 - I-751 APPROVED

06-24-09 - card production ordered

08-20-09 - N400 - Citizenship Application

08-24-09 - NOA notice date

08-28-09 - NOA in mailbox

09-10-09 - email asking for more evidence

09-14-09 - Biometrics NOA date

09-18-09 - Biometrics Letter arrived in mailbox

10-09-09 - Biometrics Schedule

10-14-09 - Notice date of the yellow letter

10-30-09 - touched online for "testing & interview"

11-03-09 - IL received in mailbox

12-07-09 - "PASSED" Interview & it's my Hubby Bday too!

04-17-10 - Oath letter received in mailbox

05-14-10 - Judicial Oath atlast! in Atl

110 days - Application to Interview

158 days - Interview to Judicial Oath

268 days - Total processing days for my N400

There not a single answer. The times for AOS vary by case and location. Some locations have large backlogs and others do not. Some cases get delayed with security checks. You should look first for the timelines for your local office for AOS. Generally you can anticipate based on those timelines, but even then you could take longer depending on the security checks.

05/16/2005 I-129F Sent

05/28/2005 I-129F NOA1

06/21/2005 I-129F NOA2

07/18/2005 Consulate Received package from NVC

11/09/2005 Medical

11/16/2005 Interview APPROVED

12/05/2005 Visa received

12/07/2005 POE Minneapolis

12/17/2005 Wedding

12/20/2005 Applied for SSN

01/14/2005 SSN received in the mail

02/03/2006 AOS sent (Did not apply for EAD or AP)

02/09/2006 NOA

02/16/2006 Case status Online

05/01/2006 Biometrics Appt.

07/12/2006 AOS Interview APPROVED

07/24/2006 GC arrived

05/02/2007 Driver's License - Passed Road Test!

05/27/2008 Lifting of Conditions sent (TSC > VSC)

06/03/2008 Check Cleared

07/08/2008 INFOPASS (I-551 stamp)

07/08/2008 Driver's License renewed

04/20/2009 Lifting of Conditions approved

04/28/2009 Card received in the mail

Filed: Other Timeline
Approval of EAD is depends upon your service center how fast or slow they could process it......

EAD's are not processed at the service centers. They are all processed at NBC.

Fingerprinting and RFE's are the only thing that impact speed of processing for the EAD.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

If you want to be working I would suggest submitted the AOS and EAD. The AOS could take anywhere from 4 months to 2 years. There are so many factors involved. You can get your EAD in 90 days and it is optional. I guess what you need to do is figure out how soon you need to start working. If you are more of a stay at home mom then you could take the chance of filing AOS with no EAD and getting your green card in 6 months.

Not sure how helpfull I was but the main thing is EAD is optional and AOS processing times can vary greatly!

If you go with option B you will get a new case number. In short...you will have to go get biometrics and then they will mail you a notice of when your interview will be. I'm not sure what your status is since I am a K3 and don't really know about K1 status however, I'm pretty sure you can't leave the county until you get your green card without advanced parole which you can apply for with your AOS. You should read the guides at the top of the AOS forum for more info on what you need and what will happen.

Also, check out the AOS processing times in the Timelines feature.

Good Luck to you!

K3 Timeline

Oct. 12 2005 Applied for K3 (Day 1)

Jan. 9th 2006 Received packet 3 (Day 89)

Jan. 19th 2006 Sent back packet 3 (Day 99)

March 20th 2006 Received packet 4 (Day 159)

April 20th 2006 K3 Appointment in Montreal (Day 190)

April 21st 2006 Received K3 (Day 191)

April 22nd 2006 Arrived in Florida!!!!! (Day 192)

EAD Timeline

May 3rd 2006 Chicago receives my application (Day 1)

May 8th 2006 NOA received (Day 5)

May 22nd 2006 Biometrics appointment letter received (Day 19)

June 3rd 2006 Biometrics complete (Day 31)

June 13th 2006 EAD card received in Mail!!!!!!!!! (Day 41)

June 13th 2006 Applied for SSN (Day 41)

July 13th 2006 SSN card arrives in the mail (Day 71)

AOS Timeline

Oct. 30th 2006 Sent in our paperwork to Chicago (Day 1)

Nov. 11th 2006 NOA Received (Day 12)

Nov. 13th 2006 Touched (Day 14)

Nov. 18th 2006 Biometrics taken (Day 19)

Dec. 14th 2006 Case transferred to California (Day 45)

Dec. 31st 2006 File arrived in California (Day 62)

Jan. 20th 2007 Touched (Day 82)

May 8th 2007 Case trasnferred to National Benefits Center (Day 190)

May 16th 2007 Case arrived at National Benefits Center (Day 198)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

We opted for jus the AOS (no EAD) as she is still learning English. It took about 6 months to get the greencard and by now she is ready to work (if she can find something she likes.) You can save the $$$ by not filing for EAD if you are OK with the wait. Good Luck

K1

March 2 Filed I-129 F

July 21 Interview in Bogota ** Approved ** Very Easy!

AOS

Oct 19 Mailed AOS Packet to Chicago

Feb 17 AOS interview in Denver. Biometrics also done today! (Interviewing officer ordered them.)

Apr 25 Green card received

Removal of conditions

March 17 Refiled using new I-751 form

April 16 Biometrics done

July 10 Green card production ordered

Citizenship

Jan 20 filed N400

Feb 04 NOA date

Feb 24 Biometrics

May 5 Interview - Centennial (Denver, Colorado) Passed

June 10 Oath Ceremony - Teikyo Loretto Heights, Denver, Colorado

July 7 Received Passport in 3 weeks

Shredded all immigration papers Have scanned images

Timeline

Thanks for all your replies. They are very helpful.. It is quite tricky that they approve your EAD in 3 months but some get their AOS approval in just 4 months. Such a waste of $$$. But if they get approved in 2 years time, then I guess the $180 is worth it.. but who would want to be approved that long?!!

Feb 26, 2009 Biometrics

mylove.jpg

[Hello and welcome!

I would suggest that you also apply for the EAD. Like what you stated, at least you can work while waiting for the approval of the AOS ( from some of the experience here, even after two years no AOS yet). When I got the packet from USCIS for AOS, it included the application for the EAD. Until now my AOS is pending, and I do have my EAD card, and now looking for employment. I am just conditioning myself that I have to renew it by January in case my AOS is still pending.

After mailing all the documents required for AOS..you will have an appointment for biometrics, then your interview.

* Now if you choose option B, when you get your greencard, you don't have to renew your EAD if you have one. Having that greencard allows you to work.

* For the interview USCIS will send you a notice. They will send a notice of reciept of your document frist, Then send you a notice for biometrics and intervew. In your notice , you will see your case number.

The interview is their way of checking if you and partner are really living together as husband and wife. You have to show proofs fro these like marriage certificate, photos, etc.

* Your current status after your fiance visa expires is "Pending AOS", others describe it "in limbo"

anyway, while waiting, get a Sate ID, SSN, learn how to drive, scout for possible employment.

Happy thanksgiving!

Jan

Mailed I-751 - January 12, 2009
NOA - January 14, 2009
Biometric for me and my son- February 21, 2009
2nd biometric for me - March 14, 2009
Green Card Approval for son - April 28, 2009

Mailed N400 - June 14, 2010
USCIS Receipt Date - June 16, 2010
USCIS NOA date - June 24, 2010
Received I-797C NOA in the mail - June 28, 2010
USCIS Email for RFE/ Biometrics sched- July 16
Biometrics - August 12, 2010
RFE Yellow Paper on IRS letter document - August 23
USCIS email on testing and interview - September 4
Received letter in mail for test and interview I-797C - September 7, 2010
Schedule of test and interview - October 12, 2010

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Others will tell you that the EAD is like insurance. The "what if" far outweighs the gamble of not getting AOS approved quickly. My husband applied for all three: AOS, EAD, and AP. He's already gotten his EAD. AP was another of those "just in case" things, since he has an elderly grandpére back home. Of course, it's up to you as to what you want to do and how much you want to spend. :)

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Timeline

Thanks jan and karencee.. I think I will have to send out an EAD (EXPENSIVE WAAAHHH :crying: ) but it's risky without it; I might get stuck. I want to get the AP also karencee, do they accept installments?! :lol:

Feb 26, 2009 Biometrics

mylove.jpg

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

LOL, don't I wish! But y'know, it's worth it all to be with our husbands, regardless of the cost. :luv:

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Timeline
Have you applied for an SSN yet?

Yeah, I applied 3 days since I got here.. i know too soon ;) , that's why I got it soo late like around a month after would you believe that? it's best to get it 2 weeks prior to your arrival. Now I have to go back because I need to change my name since I'm married... wish I didnt get one in the first place. LOL. :blush:

Feb 26, 2009 Biometrics

mylove.jpg

Filed: Timeline
Yeah, I applied 3 days since I got here.. i know too soon ;) , that's why I got it soo late like around a month after would you believe that? it's best to get it 2 weeks prior to your arrival. Now I have to go back because I need to change my name since I'm married... wish I didnt get one in the first place. LOL. :blush:

If you arrived 09/05/2006 you are now going to need the EAD card to be issued an SSN card in your married name. You are much better off having an SSN and card with your maiden name than not have one at all.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.