StupidJourney

Eating on Thanksgiving

59 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I have a question about what a Muslim can and cannot eat on Thanksgiving.

If the stuffing is made with pork, can the outside meat of the turkey still be eaten?

Also, what are your views about non-alcoholic beer? Hamid seems to think it's a slippery slope that will lead to drinking the real thing, so should be avoided also.

Any thoughts on this would be great!

Thanks!

timeline doesn't matter.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
I have a question about what a Muslim can and cannot eat on Thanksgiving.

If the stuffing is made with pork, can the outside meat of the turkey still be eaten?

Also, what are your views about non-alcoholic beer? Hamid seems to think it's a slippery slope that will lead to drinking the real thing, so should be avoided also.

Any thoughts on this would be great!

Thanks!

My brother is making two stuffings, one with sausage and one without. We don't put ours in the bird though so I never really thought about eating the inside of the turkey. I don't see why you couldn't since the stuffing usually goes in the cavity which is separated from the breast meat. Can you request they not cook it in the bird? It's supposed to be safer cooked outside anyways.

I wouldn't fool with nonalcoholic beer only because it would make me want the real thing. Why not bring along a non-alcoholic sparkling cider? A drink I love is cranbery juice with soda water and a lime or lemon. Tastes really great and still feels "festive". :)

12/28/06 - got married :)

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

04/09/07 - I-130 and I-129F approval email sent!!!!

04/26/07 - Packet 3 received

06/16/07 - Medical Examination

06/26/07 - Packet 3 SUBMITTED FINALLY!!!!

07/07/07 - Received pkt 4

07/22/07 - interview consular never bothered to show up for work.

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

Timeline

I think it would be ok too, since the meat is separated from the turkey, but Hamid's answer was, "if you are ever in doubt, you just shouldn't do it." but i want my turkey, dammit!! :protest:

mmmm, cranberry juice and sprite sounds good! I like to do that with oj, makes me feel like i'm drinking a mimosa! (or a cheaper version of orangina!)

timeline doesn't matter.

My husband would not eat it since the pork was cooked along with the turkey. To him, it is similar to when a parent tells a child.."do not touch that again" and the child holds their finger a quarter inch away and says, "i'm not touching it".....They're not doing anything wrong..but really pushing the limit. We just stay away from pork alltogether. My family knows that we don't eat pork so they found a great pork free recipe for stuffing the turkey. My husband also says the same thing yours did...if you have to question it, don't do it.... As far as non alcoholic beer...why even bother? I'd definitely go with a non-alcoholic sparkling cider instead. It tastes wayyyyyyy better so for me, it is much more worth it. :thumbs:

Visited Jordan-December 2004

Interview-December 2005

Visa approved-December 2005, 1 week later after supplying "more information"

Arrived U.S.A.-December 2005

Removed Conditions-September 2008

Divorced in December 2013

lovingmemory.jpgInlovingmemory-2.gifmybabygirl-1-1.jpghenna_rose.jpg37320lovesaved-1.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline
My husband would not eat it since the pork was cooked along with the turkey. To him, it is similar to when a parent tells a child.."do not touch that again" and the child holds their finger a quarter inch away and says, "i'm not touching it".....They're not doing anything wrong..but really pushing the limit. We just stay away from pork alltogether. My family knows that we don't eat pork so they found a great pork free recipe for stuffing the turkey. My husband also says the same thing yours did...if you have to question it, don't do it.... As far as non alcoholic beer...why even bother? I'd definitely go with a non-alcoholic sparkling cider instead. It tastes wayyyyyyy better so for me, it is much more worth it. :thumbs:

I think most non-alcoholic beers do contain small amounts of alcohol. I think they can label it as non-alcoholic if it has less than .5% in it. I think Nyquil has more than that.

~jordanian_princess~

October 19, 2006 - Interview! No Visa yet....on A/Psigns038.gif

ticker.png

Jordanian Cat

jordaniancat.jpg

Filed: Timeline

Social eating events sure become a challenge. I grew up with an allergy to poultry so I'm very used to always have to ask "is there chicken or turkey in this?" because if there is and I eat it, my throat closes. So adding pork to the list was easy for me. We had our T-Day luncheon at work yesterday and because of my allergy/religious preference and a fellow coworker being semi-veggan we had a boca burger lasagna instead. Hahahaha. It was good!

Timeline
Social eating events sure become a challenge. I grew up with an allergy to poultry so I'm very used to always have to ask "is there chicken or turkey in this?" because if there is and I eat it, my throat closes. So adding pork to the list was easy for me. We had our T-Day luncheon at work yesterday and because of my allergy/religious preference and a fellow coworker being semi-veggan we had a boca burger lasagna instead. Hahahaha. It was good!

boca lasagna sounds soooo goood!! i like to use the boca crumbles for chili/frito pie, but haven't tried much else!

Pork is used by so much stuff in my family! And I feel like whenever I mention the subject, that they think that I'm threatening their very existence or something! (like when I told my mom there will be no pork at our wedding and she said, "well YOU two don't have to eat it!" umm... it is OUR wedding, isn't it??!) sigh... I think I'll just have to do the "put some on your plate, but don't let anyone see you didn't eat it," routine this year, and next year I'll have the support of Hamid to help me stand up to my family.

timeline doesn't matter.

or you can do what I did with my family...I had been respecting my husbands religion by not eating pork for about a year before he got here. My mother and I work for the same company ...this company goes out for lunch every day. Each time they go somewhere that has a special on pork..my mom asks me why I don't get it. I tell her that since I stayed away from it for so long...it now upsets my stomach really bad (which isn't really a lie...I tried it once about a year ago and I thought I was gonna die.....haven't even thought about it since)..That seems to satisfy her and everyone else at work...maybe you could try that approach??

Edited by amal

Interview-December 2005

lovingmemory.jpgInlovingmemory-2.gifmybabygirl-1-1.jpghenna_rose.jpg37320lovesaved-1.jpg

Timeline
or you can do what I did with my family...I had been respecting my husbands religion by not eating pork for about a year before he got here. My mother and I work for the same company ...this company goes out for lunch every day. Each time they go somewhere that has a special on pork..my mom asks me why I don't get it. I tell her that since I stayed away from it for so long...it now upsets my stomach really bad (which isn't really a lie...I tried it once about a year ago and I thought I was gonna die.....haven't even thought about it since)..That seems to satisfy her and everyone else at work...maybe you could try that approach??

your mom does that too? we ate lunch at a restaurant recently, and she kept saying, "TRY MY PORK TRY MY PORK." And when she finally got the point that I didn't want it, she asked me if I was converting. I said, "I don't know." her response, "just don't tell your father." since when was religion something I should feel the need to hide? :wacko: (my dad's extremely catholic - i guess it comes from attending mass every day, sunday - friday from birth to 18) oh and then my mom's always offering to make me bacon and eggs. :blink:

timeline doesn't matter.

your mom does that too? we ate lunch at a restaurant recently, and she kept saying, "TRY MY PORK TRY MY PORK." And when she finally got the point that I didn't want it, she asked me if I was converting. I said, "I don't know." her response, "just don't tell your father." since when was religion something I should feel the need to hide? :wacko: (my dad's extremely catholic - i guess it comes from attending mass every day, sunday - friday from birth to 18) oh and then my mom's always offering to make me bacon and eggs. :blink:

ohhhhhhhhhh yeah my mom is the worst ...I LOVE HER MORE THAN ANYTHING THOUGH...We have been at her house before and she has made supper with the main dish being pork. Even if I'm starving, I pass it up and she gets a bit perturbed. She says...your husband cant eat it..but you can, you're not Muslim. When I told her we wanted to move to Houston, TX .. she said..that is fine but please PLEASE don't become Muslim.... I spend a lot of time slowly explaining to her the similarities between Islam and Christianity in the hopes that one day she will be ready to accept my choice of religion. I AM glad that she tries to do things for him..(such as the alternative for pork stuffing for turkey) alhamdulillah for that! At least I can safely say that pork doesn't settle well and it satisfies her for the time being....

Interview-December 2005

Filed: Timeline

My ex considered himself a pretty strict Muslim and he wouldn't even allow pork in the house, even though my sons and I weren't Muslim. We had a huge fight over a pound of sausage that happened to be in the fridge when he got here and he ended up throwing it in the trash. He said that he wouldn't eat anything that was kept in the same fridge with pork even. I didn't know anything about Islam when I married him so I had no idea that pork was so horrible. I guess I found out pretty quick though.

. When I told her we wanted to move to Houston, TX ..

Oh let me know....you are going to love Phoenicia's http://www.phoeniciafoods.com/

erfoud44.jpg

24 March 2009 I-751 received by USCIS

27 March 2009 Check Cashed

30 March 2009 NOA received

8 April 2009 Biometric notice arrived by mail

24 April 2009 Biometrics scheduled

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

1 September 2009 (just over 5 months) Approved and card production ordered.

My ex considered himself a pretty strict Muslim and he wouldn't even allow pork in the house, even though my sons and I weren't Muslim. We had a huge fight over a pound of sausage that happened to be in the fridge when he got here and he ended up throwing it in the trash. He said that he wouldn't eat anything that was kept in the same fridge with pork even. I didn't know anything about Islam when I married him so I had no idea that pork was so horrible. I guess I found out pretty quick though.

yikes! that would be a hard way to learn! I had heard enough stories before mine came here that I knew to ask him how he felt on the subject thank god...

Interview-December 2005

:o

erfoud44.jpg

24 March 2009 I-751 received by USCIS

27 March 2009 Check Cashed

30 March 2009 NOA received

8 April 2009 Biometric notice arrived by mail

24 April 2009 Biometrics scheduled

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

1 September 2009 (just over 5 months) Approved and card production ordered.

. When I told her we wanted to move to Houston, TX ..

Oh let me know....you are going to love Phoenicia's http://www.phoeniciafoods.com/

are you in TEXAS???? we were just there last week scoping out the area!!! We're gonna have to get together the next time we go there!!!!

Interview-December 2005

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.