Vedic

OPT status advice.

2 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Hello,

I have a concern regarding my opt status. I am currently working on OPT extension and its valid till March 2014. I am planning on getting my sponsorship through my fiancee who is a US citizen.

I recently, unfortunately, got caught in the grand larceny, a Felony case.

I am going to get married to my fiancee in October and hoping to get my EAD before my OPT expires. I want to know if option # 1 or option # 4 (which are possible outcomes) could jeopardize my OPT status and will deport me. Will, me getting married to a US citizen, help my case a little bit and not deport me? Will I have to sign a waiver form? how likely it is that it could get denied as well?

Please shed some light if some of you have some information in this topic.

These are some options that my lawyer that I could hope for. And we believe we could try for option # 4 but option # 1 is most probable one.

Option #1:

Misdemeanor Petit Larceny with 180 days, all suspended. This would be the standard disposition of the case for any similarly situated U.S. citizen. It is my understanding that this would disqualify him from the petty offense exception, assuming he was eligible for that.

Option #2:

Misdemeanor Petit Larceny with 175 days, all suspended.

Option #3:

Misdemeanor Trespassing with 180 days, most suspended but with some active jail time (probably 5 days or so). I have advised Vikram to undertake community service in advance of the court date in the hope that we could get something like this without the jail time in exchange, but we would need to be prepared.

Option #4:

Misdemeanor Trespassing with 175 days, most suspended but with some active jail time (possibly 5-15 days).

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you,

Regards,

Vedic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

grand or petty larceny is a CIMT correct? That will certainly impact your immigration status

Have you consulted a lawyer regarding your status with this crime?

good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.