VeganMari

Usual reasons for denial (either from service center or consulate/embassy)

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hi, I am just wondering what are the usual reasons why they deny k1 visas.

I tend to over-worry about things and since this is so important to me because it means I can marry and live with the person I love I just start thinking what if this or that is a reason for them to deny the visa. My main worries are that my american fiancé has a criminal record but for none of the crimes listed on the i29f form or any violent or drug crimes...it was just refusal to testify, he is on probation now and can't leave the country and that's why I went to the US to meet him and he hasn't been able to visit me in my country.

So my reasons to worry are: that he spent time in prison, that he has never come here, that we've only met once (I stayed there for almost 2 months), and that he is going to school and has a 2 day a week job for now, so money is not enough I guess but his mom will be the "backup" for the affidavit of support, also I don't have an official job because right now I am just helping my dad out with his work while I wait for the NOA2 and worry that saying I'm unemployed will affect the decision.

Feb 22, 2013........ I-129F sent

March 01, 2013.....NOA1

June 12, 2013.......NOA2

July 02, 2013........NVC processed

July 22, 2013........Lab & medical

July 25, 2013........Interview: APPROVED!

Aug 16, 2013........POE: Miami

Oct 10, 2013.........Wedding!!!

For the rest of my timeline go here.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guia para proceso K1 en Colombia: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/444315-proceso-k1-en-colombia/

Filed: Country: Colombia
Timeline

You as the foreign fiancée (the beneficiary) can relax about his criminal record as it is YOUR police record that is in question and NOT the US citizen that is petitioning you. The only wrinkle to your story is that you traveled to USA and met your fiancé in the US, what type of visa were you on? Did you over stay? Can you prove that you met in the past 2 years, etc., etc...

Of course you’re going to need a sponsor as it sounds that his income is below the poverty level, so have HIM focus on that.

Again his record will have no impact on your K-1 BUT you say that he can't travel so be sure that all your documents are in perfect order as he can't join you and support you when you have your interview in Bogota.

Good luck!

--------------------------------K-1----------------------------
October 1, 2011 Mailed I-129F Application
October 7, 20122 Notice Date of NOA 1
February 15, 2012 Received Hard Copy of Approved NOA 2
March 8, 2012 Rec email Pacs 3/4 US Embassy in Bogota
March 29, 2012 Scheduled Interview
June 7, 2012 Interview APPROVED!

------------------------------Arrival @ LAX-----------------------------
July 27, 2012 Arrived POE @ LAX
October 21, 2012 Married (L) (L)

------------------------------AOS----------------------------------
April 20, 2013 Mailed AOS package

April 29, 2013 AOS NOA

May 22, 2013 Biometric date

June 7, 2013 NOA, rec. interview date for 7-16-13

June 18, 2013 EAD/AP Approved

June 29, 2013 Rec. in mail EAD/AP combo card

July 8, 2013 AOS process on HOLD, interview canceled unsure.png as wife returned to Colombia on medical emergency!

Oct. 17, 2013 AOS Interview re-schedule to November 20, 2013

Nov. 1, 2013 Rec. Notice from USCIS that 11-20-13 interview "due to unforseen circumstances" has been CANCELED. girlwerewolf2xn.gif

December 18, 2013 Rec. notice that AOS interview has been re-scheduled for January 17, 2014 (we will see)

January 17, 2014 Interview and AOS was APPROVED! dancin5hr.gif

January 27, 2014 Received GREEN CARD in mail! kicking.gif

-----------------------ROC----------------------

December 23, 2015 ROC Mailed I-751 to CSC

December 30, 2015 ROC NOA1

January 25, 2016 ROC Bio appointment

May 26, 2016 Approved!

June 4, 2016 - Received 10-year PERMANENT RESIDENT CARD in mail! :thumbs:

-----------------------CITIZENSHIP------------------

November 16, 2016 Mailed

November 19, 2016 NOA date

December 13, 2016 Biometrics

You as the foreign fiancée (the beneficiary) can relax about his criminal record as it is YOUR police record that is in question and NOT the US citizen that is petitioning you.

This is not completely true. There are some offences, particularly sexual offences against minors (see the Adam Walsh Act) that prevent the US citizen from being able to petition a spouse or other close relative. This situation certainly does not fall into that category though, so there is no issue of that here.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

You as the foreign fiancée (the beneficiary) can relax about his criminal record as it is YOUR police record that is in question and NOT the US citizen that is petitioning you. The only wrinkle to your story is that you traveled to USA and met your fiancé in the US, what type of visa were you on? Did you over stay? Can you prove that you met in the past 2 years, etc., etc...

Of course you’re going to need a sponsor as it sounds that his income is below the poverty level, so have HIM focus on that.

Again his record will have no impact on your K-1 BUT you say that he can't travel so be sure that all your documents are in perfect order as he can't join you and support you when you have your interview in Bogota.

Good luck!

Ok, I have been told that is my criminal record that really matters and I have none, so I guess I can stop worrying about that.

When I traveled to visit him I was on a tourist visa and didn't overstay. I left on Feb 14 of this year and he sent the i29f shortly after I left, so we did send evidence of us meeting and everything. We have lots of photos, my passport stamps, travel itinerary, etc...

I hope that having the financial sponsor is not seen as anything bad or whatever as a reason to deny it. I think we have that part covered.

I still don't have NOA2 but I am trying to get as much as I can ready for when I do because I don't wanna waste anytime, I miss my man! I also hope that him not coming to the interview with me is seen as a bad thing either. But I guess they'll know he is on probation and that's why he can't travel...right? Like..it's not on our application but they have to do background checks and whatnot I imagine...

Anyway, thanks so much!

Feb 22, 2013........ I-129F sent

March 01, 2013.....NOA1

June 12, 2013.......NOA2

July 02, 2013........NVC processed

July 22, 2013........Lab & medical

July 25, 2013........Interview: APPROVED!

Aug 16, 2013........POE: Miami

Oct 10, 2013.........Wedding!!!

For the rest of my timeline go here.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guia para proceso K1 en Colombia: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/444315-proceso-k1-en-colombia/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.