3 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have some questions and was looking for some help.

I brought my husband on a spousal visa about 4months ago, when I filled out the I-130 we didn't not add his daughter to the petition. When I got to the national visa center I had to fill up the DS230 and it asked for children name and address I decide to put in her info. on that form cause at the time we was confused about having the child immigrate at the same time as my husband(As I was told my a lawyer that if I had her name to the I-130 she be following with him and I would have to pay the same fees for him as for her) I was under the impression it was spereate I-130 with two seperate payments(please correct me if I'm wrong)... Long story short, ,although I added her to the DS-230 and NOT the I-130. My question goes as follow....

• can I the USC file for the child? (she is 5) if so, how long do I have until I can submitt paper for her?
  • must my husband be present for the interview?
  • Are DNA test done?
  • What document or permission is need from the mother?

Your input is very helpful...

Thanks in advance!

Filed: IR-2 Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

I just saw this post by accident... There is a great thread for stepchild immigration over in the Family Members (not spouses) forum. Lots of folks there who can help you out.... also there is a wiki page about IR-2/CR-2 visas.

Yes, you can file for the child. I am not clear if your husband is already here, or still at the NVC stage (you said you brought him here, so I think his process is completed?). You will go through almost the same process for the child as you did for your husband. Pay the same fees, same forms, but less documentation is required. There is no time limit, except that she would have to be under 21 years old (so, like 16 years for her?). We are immigrating my stepson nearly 5 years after my husband came.

I don't think your husband has to be at the interview. Many kids interview without their parents, but because she is so young, you would want to confirm that with the embassy you are going through. Some embassies seem to really want the parent there. Also, I don't know if you have someone you could fully rely upon to take care of the medical, interview, DNA test if required, etc. My husband will be flying to go to my stepson's interview (and no, we can't afford it right now! all on the credit card, oh well). We learned a lesson the hard way not to rely on the birth mom to do all this. It is a total pain, with all the travel etc (and Bulgaria is a small country - it could be even more inconvenient in larger countries).

A DNA test might be requested at the interview stage.

You would need a notarized document from the mother saying that she gives permission for the child to immigrate permanently to the United States. Check with whatever country they are from to see what specifically is required.

PS - didn't you have to list all your husband's children on the I-130, even though you weren't including them to immigrate at that time? Did a lawyer really say not to include his daughter? That's crazy - it just says "List spouse and all children of your relative," nothing about "... who intend to immigrate with you at this time." I remember listing my husband's kids, and they didn't come with him. I'm not sure how you will handle that aspect. I'm surprised they didn't notice the discrepancy at your husband's interview. Hopefully that won't become a problem. (If a lawyer really told you that, you should consider filing a complaint).

Good luck to you and your stepdaughter!

Edited by SerenityNOW

[i am the USC and the wife/stepmother]
The prelude - 2007
November 22 - Married in Bulgaria.
CR-1 - 2008
January 7 I-130 sent - APPROVED in 106 days.
Interview - APPROVED 175 days from NOA-1 date
ROC - 2010-2011
October 5 - I-751 sent APPROVED 111 days from NOA-1 date, no interview.
NATURALIZATION - 2012
APPROVED 79 days.
May 9 - Oath ceremony - in Oakland, CA.

*************Didn't have enough of the immigration process yet!! Starting again with 16-year-old (step)son****************
IR-2 - 2012-2013
---USCIS---
Nov 15 - I-130 sent. NOA-1 received from MSC.
Jan 22 - APPROVED 65 days from NOA-1. Never transferred to field office.
---NVC---
Feb 4 - received @ NVC
Feb 26 - Got NVC Case # and Invoice ID #
----------------------------------slowing down the process a little... stepson can't come till nearly July-----------------------------
March 19 - Sent e-mail Choice of Agent, without scan of DS-3032. Paid AOS fee ($88).
April 1 - Choice of Agent information accepted (10th "working day" to accept).
April 3 - IV invoice appeared. Paid IV fee ($230).
April 11 - Sent IV package and AOS package TOGETHER. Confirmed delivery April 15.

April 26 - Case Complete (10th working day)

May 14 - Interview date assigned (12th working day)

June 5 - Interview in Sofia - VISA GRANTED!!!

June 16 - POE @ SFO. No problems. He's a citizen now!

Oct 4 - US Passport received. (SS card received some time in the summer; had to go to SSA office to obtain)

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
Moved from IR-1/CR-1 Process & Procedures to Bringing Family Members of US Citizens to America forum.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.