biribiri

police certificate nightmare

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Malaysia
Timeline

Hi - Can anybody help us?

I filed for a K1 visa successfully last October and travelled to the US and got married. Unfortunately, my mom passed away suddenly on 6th November and I had to return to Malaysia for the funeral. And so my K1 visa is no longer valid and I also did not have time to file for AOS before I exited the US. The only thing we managed to get done was to get married before a judge in the US.

Now the local US embassy here is processing an I -130 spouse petition for me but they want ORIGINAL copies of the police certificates and so it is a nightmare to have to apply all over again from the Malaysian police here and from the UK where I studied for a few years. My question is - if the USCIS already have those police certs with them since I surrendered the originals to the USCIS people at Neward airport just a few weeks ago when I entered the US on 28 october on a K1 visa, surely I can just rely on those documents instead of having to reapply for fresh certs all over again? esp since those certs are still valid in terms of timeframe.

Can anyone suggest some solution as to wait for fresh certs will take a long time and I need to get back into the US asap? we spent so much money arranging for a church ceremony, honeymoon in Dec. and all flights have been booked for family from abroad even.

The US embassy here would not even accept certified copies of my earlier police certificates. This is so unfair and a total lack of compassion on the part of the US government bureaucrats! Nothing would make them budge over here at the embassy. Not even my mother's death certificate.

Shredded beyond comprehension,

biribiri

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I do not wish to add salt to your wounds but the best course of action in this particular situation may have been not to get married. There is the ability under certain circumstances (and this may have been one of them) where a K-1 can be approved for a second entry (as long as it is still within the original 90 day window).

Edited by fwaguy

YMMV

Timeline
I do not wish to add salt to your wounds but the best course of action in this particular situation may have been not to get married. There is the ability under certain circumstances (and this may have been one of them) where a K-1 can be approved for a second entry (as long as it is still within the original 90 day window).

Timeline

Hi, fwaguy

Unfortunately, the possibility of re-doing a K1 or getting it re-validated is simply not possible as the embassy guy wants an original police cert to be submitted - whether for K1 or a DCF. I need the original police cert to carry with me again physically in the sealed packet which I have to surrender to the USCIS officer at my port of entry when I go back to the US. That is the whole problem now. No original police cert, do not pass go, do not collect visa.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.