danver

US Citizenship for Minor Kids of a Naturalized PArent

4 posts in this topic

Hello Fellow Vj Members,

I apologize if this is in the wrong forum, anyway i was in the process of getting my 2 minor kids their US passport but due to lack of documents that i did not know i would need ..i have to delay the process.

ANyway i got naturalized in December of 2012. My 2 kids had an IR2 visa and have been living here with me since November of 2010.

As fas as i know my kids being minors (11 and 15) are automatic citizens once i become citizenthrough Child Citizenship Act.

I read somewhere that kinda confuses me. It says that kids will become automatic ctizens once the parent becomes naturalized and have lived in the US for 5 yrs??

1.IS this true? do i have to be physically present in the US for 5 yrs?

2.How can i prove that my kids are eligible to apply for a US passport and that they are citizens too when i become naturalized?

I have an appoitnment for the kids passport application on May 14th so i would like to know.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello Fellow Vj Members,

I apologize if this is in the wrong forum, anyway i was in the process of getting my 2 minor kids their US passport but due to lack of documents that i did not know i would need ..i have to delay the process.

ANyway i got naturalized in December of 2012. My 2 kids had an IR2 visa and have been living here with me since November of 2010.

As fas as i know my kids being minors (11 and 15) are automatic citizens once i become citizenthrough Child Citizenship Act.

I read somewhere that kinda confuses me. It says that kids will become automatic ctizens once the parent becomes naturalized and have lived in the US for 5 yrs??

1.IS this true? do i have to be physically present in the US for 5 yrs? No. You can naturalize based on the 3-year residency and marriage rule.

2.How can i prove that my kids are eligible to apply for a US passport and that they are citizens too when i become naturalized? Bring your naturalization certificate and the children's BC and green cards. The "resident since" date on the GC will show that they were admitted as permanent residents at the same time as you.

I have an appoitnment for the kids passport application on May 14th so i would like to know.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

You might want to refer to this (if you haven't yet): http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/minors/minors_834.html

Filed: Timeline

1.IS this true? do i have to be physically present in the US for 5 yrs?

Where did you read that? Presumably whereever you read it, it is talking about how to get naturalized. But you said that you're already naturalized. That's it. The children are citizens.

Where did you read that? Presumably whereever you read it, it is talking about how to get naturalized. But you said that you're already naturalized. That's it. The children are citizens.

Yes i am already a US citizen. I just wanna make sure coz as far as i know my kids will be automatic citizens once i become a citizen. Thank you very much.

Thanks for the link,,ive read that soo many times already in fact i got all the documents ready so am just waiting for the kids appointment.

thanks a lot for ur input.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.