americanjetset

I-130 for recently married couple

9 posts in this topic

I apologise for posting so much! When I began putting papers together for the I-130, I never realised it would be this overwhelming!

Background:
American student came here on a tier 4 student visa in 2010
Before I came to the UK, began talking to another UK student on a student forum
Met him shortly after I arrived in the UK, we immediately hit it off and visited each other from Sept to Dec (we were at different universities)
He quit his degree (nothing to do with our relationship) and he later moved in with me in Jan

We have lived together for going on 3 years since and have tied the knot in April in the UK

Although we have just gotten married, I wanted to start the visa process asap, so we are not separated for too long after I return to the US.

I originally was only going to submit what the I-130 asks for. However, now that I have come across several posts where the petitioner was denied on the basis that they were too recently married and the evidence has not been sufficient, I don't know whether I should front-load.

If I were front-loading, I would include facebook wall posts (I put all the ones between us on a Paint Document and it looks sort of like a collage - from 2010- oct 2011). I don't know whether to include this or not?

Here's what I have so far (I have italicized the ones I am unsure about submitting)

I-130 Checklist:

-completed G-1145
-cover letter (expressing intent to petition and listing contents)
-$420 fee as a cheque or money order
-completed signed and dated I-130
-completed and signed G-325a (1 for petitioner, 1 for beneficiary)
-proof of US citizenship (petitioner birth certificate and passport info page) (copy)
-beneficiary birth certificate and passport bio page (copy) [note- I have heard that they sometimes erroneously request this, so I'm covering all my bases]
-proof of marriage - marriage certificate (copy)
-passport style photo (1 for petitioner, 1 for beneficiary)
-proof of bona fide relationship (joint tenancy for two properties - 1 from 2011, 1 from 2012)
-proof of bona fide relationship (council tax with both our names)
-proof of bona fide relationship (joint bank account that we are opening this weekend)
-proof of bona fide relationship (affidavits from mutual friend [present at wedding], mother in law [present at wedding] and my father [had health issues so didn't make it to wedding but writing in awareness of marriage)]
-proof of bona fide relationship (letter of relationship evolution)
- joint trip abroad including e-mail of flight itinerary, luggage receipt, passport stamps on both petitioner and beneficiary passports
-photographs together - pictures of just us, pictures with friends and family, and pictures of wedding.
-wedding invite
-letters from friends and family and to each other [i don't know whether to include these as we exchanged them all in person = no date stamps, and one card just says 'to the happy couple']

Is there anything a recently married couple should be including? My maiden name is on everything except the marriage cert. Thank you!

We were married in late September and filed our I-130 in mid-October with NO supporting documentation (just the basic stuff they asked for). I was fully expecting to be asked for more documentation and I was able and willing to supply it. However, I was NOT asked and the I-130 was approved. I do not recommend you do the same, even though we are both UK filers!! I wound up sending my supplementary information later to the National Visa Center in the Immigrant Visa packet.

Your information that you list is sufficient. Make sure the pics are in the correct format. Carry on!

Edited by speedwell

I'm a dual US/Hungarian citizen (both by birth; Hungarian citizenship verification TBA), and my husband is a dual British/Irish citizen (by treaty) from Northern Ireland. We are atheists.

All advice is given pursuant to the Disclaimer that you may read at the bottom of each forum page.

LATEST STEPS:

28 Jun 2013: POE Houston

08 Jul 2013: SSN received (at SSA office)

07 Aug 2013: Green Card received

27 Feb 2014: Whoa, life happened. Planning move "back home" together to Republic of Ireland by end of April.

29 Apr 2014: POE Dublin through Heathrow

15 May 2014: Received formal residency/work permission (GNIB card with Stamp 4, one year renewable) for the ROI

For my FULL timeline, see my "About Me" page.

For small creatures such as we, the vastness is bearable only through love. (Carl Sagan)

To be honest, you have a lot of evidence. Joint accounts and tenency is awesome. Affidavits are low on the evidence list and are good to include if you're low on other evidence. We submitted 2, but I had better stuff in reserve for an RFE if needed. (Hubs wasn't keen on sending emails if not necessary.)

Remember the fee has to come from an american bank as a cheque.

You do not need the petitioner's bio page of their passport. You either include their birth certificate (as a born american) or their entire passport. Whichever shows they are a US Citizen. Same with beneficiary if you're choosing to include their info.

You'll be great. Have you considered filing DCF in London asap vs waiting?

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

To be honest, you have a lot of evidence. Joint accounts and tenency is awesome. Affidavits are low on the evidence list and are good to include if you're low on other evidence. We submitted 2, but I had better stuff in reserve for an RFE if needed. (Hubs wasn't keen on sending emails if not necessary.)

Remember the fee has to come from an american bank as a cheque.

You do not need the petitioner's bio page of their passport. You either include their birth certificate (as a born american) or their entire passport. Whichever shows they are a US Citizen. Same with beneficiary if you're choosing to include their info.

You'll be great. Have you considered filing DCF in London asap vs waiting?

She is returning to the US, and DCF is taking a few months. She probably should file DCF if she can stay in the UK until the process is complete. Otherwise our answers to her questions about documentation and her name change are the same.

I'm a dual US/Hungarian citizen (both by birth; Hungarian citizenship verification TBA), and my husband is a dual British/Irish citizen (by treaty) from Northern Ireland. We are atheists.

All advice is given pursuant to the Disclaimer that you may read at the bottom of each forum page.

LATEST STEPS:

28 Jun 2013: POE Houston

08 Jul 2013: SSN received (at SSA office)

07 Aug 2013: Green Card received

27 Feb 2014: Whoa, life happened. Planning move "back home" together to Republic of Ireland by end of April.

29 Apr 2014: POE Dublin through Heathrow

15 May 2014: Received formal residency/work permission (GNIB card with Stamp 4, one year renewable) for the ROI

For my FULL timeline, see my "About Me" page.

For small creatures such as we, the vastness is bearable only through love. (Carl Sagan)

Honestly I would try to DCF if possible. A few months is better than 10! Lol

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Thank you for your answers! I wish that I could file for DCF, but I don't think that I am eligible as a student (I am not in the UK with indefinite leave to remain), however I have been in the UK for 3 years. I will e-mail the London Embassy as their website http://london.usembassy.gov/dhs/uscis/i130filing.html

is making me optimistic!

DCF is definitely better, particularly in London. They explicitly ask you *not* to send extra evidence, like tenancy etc., in the initial I-130 filing. They try to make it super simple and straight forward, and they literally tell you exactly what you should send, so you don't waste time sending them lots of stuff at the start.

Keep all that extra proof for the interview, if you do DCF - but you'll no doubt see from pretty much all the London interviews people have left feedback on that they pretty much never ask for relationship evidence there - mostly just a chat to ascertain if you seem genuine

They do only call out tourist visas as not acceptable, but I know once upon a time student visas weren't either - I guess they removed that restriction? Anyway - you can email them on this address to check. I did - and I got a reply only a couple hours later: USCIS.London@uscis.dhs.gov

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hey, my Hubby is in India, and I filed the paperwork less than a month after we got married. We included all the things you have mentioned, plus I designed the I-130 into a booklet, i.e. punched two holes on the top of the page, slid it in pendaflex. I also included a coversheet to say what I included, and colored tabs to show the location of particular paperwork.

You will be just fine!

szds5u62r.png

SANJOG - Marriage Made in Heaven
09/28/2012: Married the love of my life in a traditional Hindu ceremony - Saat Phere
10/01/2012: Court Marriage

USCIS
10/22/2012: Submitted I-130
10/24/2012: USCIS Notice of Action Received Date
10/24/2012: USCIS Notice of Action Priority Date
10/25/2012: I-797C, Notice of Action Notice Date
10/26/2012: USCIS texted/emailed me that they received I-130
02/25/2013: USCIS website says I-130 is approved

NVC
03/15/2013: Received NVC Case Number
03/15/2013: Received Affidavit of Support (AOS) Processing Fee Bill Invoice
03/29/2013: Mailed Choice of Address and Agent to NVC
03/29/2013: Made $88 AOS fee payment
04/11/2013: AOS fee status "PAID"
04/13/2013: Made $230 IV fee payment
04/14/2013: FedEX'd the AOS package
04/19/2013: IV fee status "PAID"

05/08/2013: FedEX'd the IV package (said lots of prayers while preparing the documentation!!!)

05/22/2013: NVC gave checklist to send Indian Police Certificate

06/23/2013: FedED'd the IV package with Indian Police Certificate and Updated Passport Page (I was added as Spouse)

07/25/2013: Case Complete

Embassy

07/31/2013: Received Interview Date for 09/19/2013

09/10/2013: Husband did Medical

09/19/2013: Interview Date for US Embassy in New Delhi - OM SAI RAM - ***APPROVED***

09/26/2013: Husband received Passport with US Visa in postal mail

***USA***

10/10/2013: Flight Departs New Delhi

10/11/2013: Flight Arrives USA

10/24/2013: Husband received Social Security Card

11/13/2013: Paid $165 Immigration Fee

12/09/2013: Husband received Green Card

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

That really sounds like a lot of evidence.

In our case, we didn't date, so our evidence was limited to wedding photos, affidavits (from our parents...), and an explanation of why we didn't date, etc. We got approved without a problem, so it shouldn't be a problem in your case.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.