cmelella0103

Last name question

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hi, I am new to this forum...my fiance happens to have the same last name as me. Does anyone think that this would be a problem with this whole process? I have not filed anything yet because I am unsure. We tried to research to see if we are related but we can not make the connection of being related. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thank you

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hello , is your last name a common name? if so this may not be a problem in the end. However ,as you are doing now ,it would be wise to address the issue prior to filing. There are several ways to do so. I am sure other members will chime in yes.gif . IMO, Submit with your I-129F packet Birth certificates for both you and your fiancée. You can also submit BC's of both parents if available. I don't think your embassy is a tough one ,I may be wrong. In the end if your CO suspects you may be related as lets say cousins ,a DNA test may be asked for.

Side note: It is not illegal to marry a cousin if the state you are residing in allows it.

Edited by samename

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

On the i-129F there's specifically this question:

"Is your fiance(e) related to you?"

Check no, and be ready to show proof if requested (I don't think they will ask for it if the surname is common, but I might be wrong).

Edited by a+j

- I am the beneficiary -

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

In your original post you stated you did research and found no evidence you two are related. I would keep all the relevant written info in this regard. As the other poster suggested, the BCs of both parents would be useful too, and the Consulate can request you to take a DNA test if doubts still arise.

I actually have no first hand experience in this matter, so hopefully someone else can chip in. Good luck!

Edited by a+j

- I am the beneficiary -

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.