Mike&Gina

Am I okay, or what do I do?

13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello to all! I am a "newby" going thru this process with some questions and would really appreciate some answers and/or advice. Gina and I are going thru the K-1 VISA petition process. I received the NAO1 on April 11, 2013 and going thru CSC. We are now waiting on the NAO2. I want to go to The Philippines in October 2013 to be with Gina and to live there for 6 months from October until April 2014. I also want to be there with her when she goes for her interview in Manila. First of all is any of this possible to do within the Visa processing guidelines? Will it alter or change my status in any way? And, do I tell them of my address change? Thank you, Mike & Gina

Mike...

1. Figure out beforehand if you will be able to satisfy the Embassy's income guidelines as her sponsor.

2. Notify the USCIS of your address change.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello to all! I am a "newby" going thru this process with some questions and would really appreciate some answers and/or advice. Gina and I are going thru the K-1 VISA petition process. I received the NAO1 on April 11, 2013 and going thru CSC. We are now waiting on the NAO2. I want to go to The Philippines in October 2013 to be with Gina and to live there for 6 months from October until April 2014. I also want to be there with her when she goes for her interview in Manila. First of all is any of this possible to do within the Visa processing guidelines? Will it alter or change my status in any way? And, do I tell them of my address change? Thank you, Mike & Gina

Address - this is only a "vacation" correct? Your address really isn't changing, just a temporary thing? How will you be handling your mail? If just temporary are you having your mail temporarily forwarded or picked up by someone? All you will receive from USCIS & NVC are notices UNLESS you get an RFE for additional evidence which you will need to handle which could be difficult from overseas - but that is another bridge. I don't know that I would do an address change with USCIS unless you are actually moving/changing your address, if you home will still be the same address when you return.... I just don't know that I would change the address , especially to one that relies on PhilPost. No matter I would not even consider forwarding mail to the Philippines.

I am guessing that you have an email address setup with USCIS for notifications, plus have created an account on their website for updates. If not do that.

Income, as Tahoma mentioned, is of importance with the I-134c, if your travels don't adversely affect your income then no issue there either.

Being at the interview will be a great experience, I was there and really enjoyed the experience.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Timeline

Greetings! Thanks for answering the questions I asked and giving your advice/opinions.....its greatly 'preciated! Yes, its more "vacation".....just escaping the cold, harsh, frigid Ohio Winter, and making like a 'snowbird" to the wonderful warm Philippines! I still have permanate residence/castle in Ohio where Gina and I will live for the 6 warm months of the year. My mailing address will still be Ohio, and mailed picked up by family members there. I guess I will just "not" tell the agencies that I will be living (vacationing) in Cebu for 6 months. Money is no problem with the I-134c forms, as the government pays me a good monthly pension to live and vacation in exotic places! I just wonder how close to the interview should my financial records be from? I have them current to date - April 2013, is that good enough, or do I need to take them all the way to October 2013 when I leave for Cebu??? I also have a flight home from Cebu on March 31, 2014...Do you think that is okay to also buy a seat on the plane for Gina, and our POE be LA, California??? I know its hard to say at this point, but do you think we will be done with the process by then and ready to ship out OK by March 31, 2014?????? Thanks again guys and girls! You said being at her interview was great experience - really enjoyed it. Was that said "tongue in cheek" due to all the waiting around up there?! hahahaha Thanks again! Mike

A year is usually enough time to complete the K-1 process. However, if your fiancée gets tagged by St. Lukes to take TB medication, it will set you back more than six months.

I think the petitioner attending the interview is a good idea. Not only can you support your fiancée, but you can be there to head off any potential problems.

I would date your I-134 closer to the Embassy interview, perhaps within one month of the interview. The Embassy tends to prefer fresh documents.

Timeline

Greetings! Thanks for answering the questions I asked and giving your advice/opinions.....its greatly 'preciated! Yes, its more "vacation".....just escaping the cold, harsh, frigid Ohio Winter, and making like a 'snowbird" to the wonderful warm Philippines! I still have permanate residence/castle in Ohio where Gina and I will live for the 6 warm months of the year. My mailing address will still be Ohio, and mailed picked up by family members there. I guess I will just "not" tell the agencies that I will be living (vacationing) in Cebu for 6 months. Money is no problem with the I-134c forms, as the government pays me a good monthly pension to live and vacation in exotic places! I just wonder how close to the interview should my financial records be from? I have them current to date - April 2013, is that good enough, or do I need to take them all the way to October 2013 when I leave for Cebu??? I also have a flight home from Cebu on March 31, 2014...Do you think that is okay to also buy a seat on the plane for Gina, and our POE be LA, California??? I know its hard to say at this point, but do you think we will be done with the process by then and ready to ship out OK by March 31, 2014?????? Thanks again guys and girls! You said being at her interview was great experience - really enjoyed it. Was that said "tongue in cheek" due to all the waiting around up there?! hahahaha Thanks again! Mike

Seriously it was a great experience being at the interview, no tongue in cheek. I flew over a week before the interview then we stayed for almost two months after that to visit family and friends ... lots of time for long good byes.

I really don't know if its a good idea to buy the ticket for your fiancée in March, just be prepared to reschedule the flight. I have notice USCIS is taking a lot longer to approve the petition, seems like they are running a month or two longer then when we did the process. As for the embassy, once you have your MNL # it moves along pretty fast. If we had wanted once we had the MNL # we could have gotten everything done and been at the airport in 6 weeks... and that was with the visa taking 2 weeks for delivery.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Seriously it was a great experience being at the interview, no tongue in cheek. I flew over a week before the interview then we stayed for almost two months after that to visit family and friends ... lots of time for long good byes.

I really don't know if its a good idea to buy the ticket for your fiancée in March, just be prepared to reschedule the flight. I have notice USCIS is taking a lot longer to approve the petition, seems like they are running a month or two longer then when we did the process. As for the embassy, once you have your MNL # it moves along pretty fast. If we had wanted once we had the MNL # we could have gotten everything done and been at the airport in 6 weeks... and that was with the visa taking 2 weeks for delivery.

Now THAT is what we are hoping for (6 weeks)!

Mahalo/Salamat!

Steve and Joan
Met on Facebook 2/24/12
Met in person 6/5/12
Second visit 10/2/12
Engaged 10/3/12
NOA10/15/12
Third visit 12/10/12
Joan got her passport! 2/20/13
NOA2 4/24/13
Fourth visit 5/28/13
CFO 5/30/13
Embassy Interview APPROVED 6/6/13

Joan passed through immigration in Hawaii! She's home! 6/13/13

MARRIED 8/24/13

AOS, EAD and AP petitions sent to Chicago via Express Mail

EAD/AP Received 11/13/13

AOS Interview APPROVED 11/26/13

2-year Green Card in hand 12/5/13

ROC (I-751) sent to CSC via USPS Express Mail 8/31/15

ROC check cashed 9/4/15

ROC Biometrics 10/1/15

ROC Approval 4/6/16 (waiting for actual card)

Permanent Green Card Arrived 4/14/16
Naturalization Interview 2/22/17 APPROVED!

Oath Ceremony 3/21/17--Joan is a US Citizen!

Dual Citizenship 7/7/22 Joan is now a Dual US/Filipino Citizen!

Kayak small lagoon crop 10 72 for VJ.jpg

Timeline

Now THAT is what we are hoping for (6 weeks)!

We didn't rush or try to push things as we knew we weren't going anywhere after the interview, but 6 weeks is very easily done.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

We didn't rush or try to push things as we knew we weren't going anywhere after the interview, but 6 weeks is very easily done.

I will be in the Philippines from May 30 to June 11th (Cebu for one week) and I would love to be with Joan for the interview...(but especially for the CFO)...This might work out nicely because I can bring all my financial papers instead of hoping that they show up at her house! I won't mind leaving her this time if I know that she will be coming over to Hawaii within a couple of weeks.

Mahalo/Salamat!

Steve and Joan
Met on Facebook 2/24/12
Met in person 6/5/12
Second visit 10/2/12
Engaged 10/3/12
NOA10/15/12
Third visit 12/10/12
Joan got her passport! 2/20/13
NOA2 4/24/13
Fourth visit 5/28/13
CFO 5/30/13
Embassy Interview APPROVED 6/6/13

Joan passed through immigration in Hawaii! She's home! 6/13/13

MARRIED 8/24/13

AOS, EAD and AP petitions sent to Chicago via Express Mail

EAD/AP Received 11/13/13

AOS Interview APPROVED 11/26/13

2-year Green Card in hand 12/5/13

ROC (I-751) sent to CSC via USPS Express Mail 8/31/15

ROC check cashed 9/4/15

ROC Biometrics 10/1/15

ROC Approval 4/6/16 (waiting for actual card)

Permanent Green Card Arrived 4/14/16
Naturalization Interview 2/22/17 APPROVED!

Oath Ceremony 3/21/17--Joan is a US Citizen!

Dual Citizenship 7/7/22 Joan is now a Dual US/Filipino Citizen!

Kayak small lagoon crop 10 72 for VJ.jpg

Timeline

Is CFO for "beneficiary" only to go to in her country?? Yes, I want to be at Gina's, and her interview in Manila as well.......I need a few extra laughs on those days! Hahahahah ....seeing Philippine government at work! Hey, I waited here in line at US Post Office to mail a letter for 15 minutes and became impatient....will love and enjoy the 10 hour waits in The Philippines.

Timeline

CFO is for Philippine citizens immigrating ( and overseas workers). The "intent" was to be a seminar to educate the citizen about other countries, what they do is soooooo far over the edge I have to do a ####### when I think about their interrogations.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.