jace5869

DCF Residency Requirements

17 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

So I contacted the USCIS office here in Manila by e-mail with some questions and they responded back with the 3 attached files. My main concern was establishing residency here in the Philippines for 6 months and what counted as proof. When I sent another e-mail asking if passport stamps, visa extension fee's and affidavits from residents in the house would count as proof..they just responded with the Proof of Residency PDF again. I sent another e-mail asking for ore clarification and to be forwarded or re-directed as needed for a clearer answer, but I'm still awaiting feedback.

Until then, I figured I would post here and ask. Do you think passport stamps, visa extension fee receipts, and affidavits would suffice as evidence? I'm thinking it could fall under the Foreign immigration section, but not sure really.

What are people's thoughts and experiences? I'm really trying to figure out if staying another 3 months would be the better path to try and filing, or going back tot he US and filing, and waiting longer. Just got married today and I wanted to get the wife's name changed, and it can take 3 weeks to 3 months for the certificate to come back...and I'm thinking you have to have that certificate to change name on passport at DFA. This is all important because currently my return flight is on May 18. I would love to skip it, spend more time with the wife and kid, help out with the paperwork, and file later and then return to the US.

The wedding was great and wonderful, super happy. Lot's of her family made it to the reception. Cant wait to have the other wedding in the US in the future.

Thanks for the help!

Just got a reply back from them and this is what they said.

"

Some examples of documents, which prove that you are permanently residing in the Philippines are: lease agreement, bank statements, utility bills, and E-card showing that you are a resident of the Philippines (G-13, etc.) You also have to complete the arrival/departure (countries that you have visited) information indicated on the attachment. The Field Office Director will decide whether you are eligible to file a petition with our office when you report at our customer service window to file the Form I-130. So ensure you bring all evidence or proof that you are permanently residing in the Philippines. To schedule an appointment to file Form I-130, visit http://infopass.uscis.gov. Attachment is again provided to you for your information and compliance.

"

Proof of Residence.pdf

Reqmts for I-130.doc

Fee Payment In Manila.pdf

Edited by jace5869

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

So I contacted the USCIS office here in Manila by e-mail with some questions and they responded back with the 3 attached files. My main concern was establishing residency here in the Philippines for 6 months and what counted as proof. When I sent another e-mail asking if passport stamps, visa extension fee's and affidavits from residents in the house would count as proof..they just responded with the Proof of Residency PDF again. I sent another e-mail asking for ore clarification and to be forwarded or re-directed as needed for a clearer answer, but I'm still awaiting feedback.

Until then, I figured I would post here and ask. Do you think passport stamps, visa extension fee receipts, and affidavits would suffice as evidence? I'm thinking it could fall under the Foreign immigration section, but not sure really.

What are people's thoughts and experiences? I'm really trying to figure out if staying another 3 months would be the better path to try and filing, or going back tot he US and filing, and waiting longer. Just got married today and I wanted to get the wife's name changed, and it can take 3 weeks to 3 months for the certificate to come back...and I'm thinking you have to have that certificate to change name on passport at DFA. This is all important because currently my return flight is on May 18. I would love to skip it, spend more time with the wife and kid, help out with the paperwork, and file later and then return to the US.

The wedding was great and wonderful, super happy. Lot's of her family made it to the reception. Cant wait to have the other wedding in the US in the future.

Thanks for the help!

Just got a reply back from them and this is what they said.

"

Some examples of documents, which prove that you are permanently residing in the Philippines are: lease agreement, bank statements, utility bills, and E-card showing that you are a resident of the Philippines (G-13, etc.) You also have to complete the arrival/departure (countries that you have visited) information indicated on the attachment. The Field Office Director will decide whether you are eligible to file a petition with our office when you report at our customer service window to file the Form I-130. So ensure you bring all evidence or proof that you are permanently residing in the Philippines. To schedule an appointment to file Form I-130, visit http://infopass.uscis.gov. Attachment is again provided to you for your information and compliance.

"

I only took my passport with the visa extensions and our lease agreement to file my wife's. If for some reason they refuse which I doubt file with the Chicago lockbox with your Philippine address and it will be almost as fast as filing DCF.

Timeline

I only took my passport with the visa extensions and our lease agreement to file my wife's. If for some reason they refuse which I doubt file with the Chicago lockbox with your Philippine address and it will be almost as fast as filing DCF.

I'm planning on setting up a joint account here with my newlywed wife so I should get bank statements, but I'm wondering what you mean by filing to the Chicago Lockbox from the Philippine address? How will that make it faster and what documents would I need to file alongside it?

Timeline

I'm planning on setting up a joint account here with my newlywed wife so I should get bank statements, but I'm wondering what you mean by filing to the Chicago Lockbox from the Philippine address? How will that make it faster and what documents would I need to file alongside it?

I forgot, I also took bank statements from my BPI joint account when I filed. When you file from the Philippines to the US you file with the Chicago lockbox of the USCIS. When your address is listed as you living in the Philippines, they will fast track it and it's almost as fast as filing DCF. It only took me 3 months from filing until I had her visa in hand. I have heard that is about the same time frame as filing to the Chicago lockbox with a Philippine address listed as your address. If you do have to file with the Chicago lockbox, file the same paperwork as you would for DCF with photocopies of you bank statement, lease agreement, bills, visa stamps, and anything else that would prove your living in the Philippines. However, I don't anticipate that happening as filing DCF in Manila was easy and straight forward and I did it while on a tourist visa even though I was told I could not. Maybe Ray Bacon is following this and can chime in. He's the man to talk to.

Timeline

I forgot, I also took bank statements from my BPI joint account when I filed. When you file from the Philippines to the US you file with the Chicago lockbox of the USCIS. When your address is listed as you living in the Philippines, they will fast track it and it's almost as fast as filing DCF. It only took me 3 months from filing until I had her visa in hand. I have heard that is about the same time frame as filing to the Chicago lockbox with a Philippine address listed as your address. If you do have to file with the Chicago lockbox, file the same paperwork as you would for DCF with photocopies of you bank statement, lease agreement, bills, visa stamps, and anything else that would prove your living in the Philippines. However, I don't anticipate that happening as filing DCF in Manila was easy and straight forward and I did it while on a tourist visa even though I was told I could not. Maybe Ray Bacon is following this and can chime in. He's the man to talk to.

That would be good to get some more perspective on the matter. I don't know if I could get a lease agreement as I would be staying with my wife, but I guess there is always the possibility of getting one, but not using it.

Do you know if BPI needs marriage certificate to setup a joint account?

I have been living in Argentina as a "permitourist" for almost 3 years now. I do not have any official status as I have just stayed here as a tourist, leaving every 3 months to reset my visa. Do I have any chance of qualifying as having residence here for the purposes of DCF? I produce my old rental agreement from my vacation rental people showing I had a place, I can also show my wife's lease and my passport with all the entrance and exit stamps for the past 5 years I have been coming here.

What do you think?

That's the same thing that my husband did. He went to file our applications and brought with him his passport and visa extensions. Our lease agreement for the apartment we are staying now, the notarized copy of our joint account passbook and some affidavits of third persons attesting to our relationship where they stated that my husband came to live with me and my son since July 2012 until the present were also attached to our Form I-130 along with circumstantial evidences/proofs of our relationship which the lady returned after 30 minutes of checking them. My husband paid for the filing fees and was told to wait for 13-19 days which reading from the posts here, everyone was saying he must have misheard coz most, if not all, were told that they'll hear from them within 30-90 days... lol.

Timeline

That's the same thing that my husband did. He went to file our applications and brought with him his passport and visa extensions. Our lease agreement for the apartment we are staying now, the notarized copy of our joint account passbook and some affidavits of third persons attesting to our relationship where they stated that my husband came to live with me and my son since July 2012 until the present were also attached to our Form I-130 along with circumstantial evidences/proofs of our relationship which the lady returned after 30 minutes of checking them. My husband paid for the filing fees and was told to wait for 13-19 days which reading from the posts here, everyone was saying he must have misheard coz most, if not all, were told that they'll hear from them within 30-90 days... lol.

The woman also told me I would hear something within 2 weeks. When I did not I emailed them and they told me I must have misunderstood because it takes 30 to 90 days.

The woman also told me I would hear something within 2 weeks. When I did not I emailed them and they told me I must have misunderstood because it takes 30 to 90 days.

John, someone from here called them after 3 weeks of not hearing anything, so i guess that's the next course of action for us.

Timeline

Do you think I could get by with passport stamps (only philippines entry, extensions), receipts from extensions, I-card, and bank statements as proof of residency? I'm living with my wife here, and she lives with her parents, and I'd like to avoid wasting money by renting as I'm going to be stretched thin moneywise by staying an extra 3 months. I guess I could get an affidavit from parents stating I've lived in the house for x amount of time?

Timeline

I still have about 4 months before I can file. I came to the Philippines on Feb. 13, so i'm guessing i'm open to file around August 13. I doubt going the day of - 6 months is a good idea, but I've been busy getting stuff done till then, at least.

I'll be going in the next week or so to get my ACR I-card when get another visa extension (tourist).

...and so far i've gotten

• Community Tax Certificate (CEDULA)
  • Postal ID from Phil Post
  • Barangay Certification

..and after getting my ACR I-card I'll be opening up a joint bank account with my wife. So i should be getting some mail to the address I'm staying at.

I'm hoping with all of this it will be enough for Proof of Residency for filing at the US Embassy in August.

Timeline

I know the site was down for a while, but anyone have any thoughts?

Also, I guess we have to go through the process of changing gender on her birth certificate, because hers say Male. However, she does have copies that say Female on NSO paper from some travel company from the mall. I think we used one for getting married, but I don't think it'll work for the visa packet.

Edited by jace5869

Hubby and I set an appointment for DCF (since they no longer entertain walk-in applicants) but after printing out, the appointment type is to speak to an immigration officer. We're confused.

I-130/IR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in Manila, Philippines:

March 19, 2013 - Married in Philippines
September 18, 2013 - I-130 filed

September 24, 2013 - RFE (Divorce Decree)

September 27, 2013 - APPROVED

October 7, 2013 - Manila Case Number Issued

October 7, 2013 - Completed online DS-260

October 7, 2013 - Scheduled Interview (November 7, 2013 since I am still outside PHL) and Pre-registered Medical

October 31, 2013 - First Day of Medical

November 4, 2013 - Second Day of Medical (No vaccinations since I am preggo) PASSED!

November 7, 2013 - Interview VISA APPROVED!

November 7, 2013 - Checked visa status in CEAC: ISSUED!

November 14, 2013 - VISA ON HAND :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.