Basbosa

Checklist for DS-230

9 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

Good morning everybody. Just had a quick question.

Unfortunately, I got a checklist from the NVC in response to our DS-230 application. They requested a copy of my husband's biographic page of the passport, showing the passport's expiration date.

Currently, Egypt has two version of its passport. The “old” version has the passport's info (number, expiration date, place of issue) on a separate page from the identifying info (or the biographical page). Egypt has recently (perhaps since last year?) revamped its passport, to make it look like the American passport, and have been issuing this new version instead of the old one.

Our issue is: my husband has the "old" version of the Egyptian passport, and it is valid until 2016. When I originally mailed the DS-230 material, I only included the biographical page of the passport, and didn’t send it the first page that has the passport’s info. Now, understandably, the NVC is requesting a copy of the biographical page, including the expiration date of the passport.

I am planning to send in the two pages of the passport, along with the checklist. My concern, could the NVC reject it because the copies are of the “old” passport version? The passport is valid, so commonsense is telling me it shouldn’t be a problem, but I am still anxious about it. In a same vein, could my husband face an issue with the (randomly particular) Egyptian embassy when it’s interview time??

Just wondering if I should just tell my husband to try and get this new passport…

Edited by Basbosa

Unfortunately, I got a checklist from the NVC in response to our DS-230 application. They requested a copy of my husband's biographic page of the passport, showing the passport's expiration date.

Currently, Egypt has two version of its passport. The “old” version has the passport's info (number, expiration date, place of issue) on a separate page from the identifying info (or the biographical page). Egypt has recently (perhaps since last year?) revamped its passport, to make it look like the American passport, and have been issuing this new version instead of the old one.

Our issue is: my husband has the "old" version of the Egyptian passport, and it is valid until 2016. When I originally mailed the DS-230 material, I only included the biographical page of the passport, and didn’t send it the first page that has the passport’s info. Now, understandably, the NVC is requesting a copy of the biographical page, including the expiration date of the passport.

I am planning to send in the two pages of the passport, along with the checklist. My concern, could the NVC reject it because the copies are of the “old” passport version? The passport is valid, so commonsense is telling me it shouldn’t be a problem, but I am still anxious about it. In a same vein, could my husband face an issue with the (randomly particular) Egyptian embassy when it’s interview time??

Just wondering if I should just tell my husband to try and get this new passport…

In my opinion, as long as it's valid, it should be accepted.

I'm not sure about Egypt but for Canada (and I'm assuming the US), you can't apply for a new passport if it's still valid for (I believe) 6 months or more. Since his only expires in 2016, is it even possible for him to get a new one?

Timeline

In my opinion, as long as it's valid, it should be accepted.

I'm not sure about Egypt but for Canada (and I'm assuming the US), you can't apply for a new passport if it's still valid for (I believe) 6 months or more. Since his only expires in 2016, is it even possible for him to get a new one?

Good point! I am not sure either about the renewal process in Egypt! I think it does make sense that you can't apply for a new passport if yours is still valid. But, I guess I just wanted to make sure to avoid any more delays!

Thanks for your response :)

Good point! I am not sure either about the renewal process in Egypt! I think it does make sense that you can't apply for a new passport if yours is still valid. But, I guess I just wanted to make sure to avoid any more delays!

Thanks for your response :)

No problem!

I'd have your husband look into renewing though, and if it is possible (3 years early, lol), then it might be a good idea to do it before he immigrates to the US.

Timeline

Basbosa, I know exactly what you mean! My husband's passport was the old one as well, and it had stamps on the other pages with an extension to the expire date. The problem is that those stamps are in Arabic and French!!!! lol! My husband said we can just use it, but I insisted on getting the new one, which took us about 5 days only! I really think he should get the new one because it will help him later when he moves to the states and it's easier to avoid all the problems ans stuff! again, it should be valid I am sure, but to be on the safe side! get the new one and ask for "Mst3gl" or "expedite" service!

USCIS:
10.24.2012 - I-130 Sent
10.29.2012 - NOA1 Received (By email)
11.01.2012 - Check cashed
12.28.2012 - Online status says "RFE"
01.28.2013 - FINALLY got the RFE letter
01.30.2013 - Sent out the RFE response
02.15.2013 - NOA2

NVC
03.11.13: NVC Received
03.25.13: Case/IIN Received
03.25.13: DS-3032 sent (Supervisor Review)
03.26.13: Expedite Request sent (via Congressman)
03.26.13: Expedite Request forwarded to Embassy in Cairo
03.28.13: DS-3032 accepted
03.28.13: AOS bill invoiced
03.29.13: Pay AOS bill
04.07.13: AOS bill shows PAID
03.29.13: IV bill invoiced
03.29.13: Pay IV bill
04.07.13: IV bill shows PAID
04.11.13: AOS package sent
04.12.13: AOS package received
04.11.13: IV package sent
04.12.13: IV package received

04.24.13: Case complete
04.29.13: Interview scheduled

05.02.13: Medical Exam

05.03.13: Earlier Interview Request sent

05.06.13: Case left NVC

05.08.13: Case arrived at embassy

05.27.13: Interview - EGYPT - APPROVED ALHUMDUALLAH!

event.png

event.png

Timeline

Basbosa, I know exactly what you mean! My husband's passport was the old one as well, and it had stamps on the other pages with an extension to the expire date. The problem is that those stamps are in Arabic and French!!!! lol! My husband said we can just use it, but I insisted on getting the new one, which took us about 5 days only! I really think he should get the new one because it will help him later when he moves to the states and it's easier to avoid all the problems ans stuff! again, it should be valid I am sure, but to be on the safe side! get the new one and ask for "Mst3gl" or "expedite" service!

Thanks Sarsoor for the reply. We will definitely look into it! If you don't mind me asking, when did your husband's passport expire? I am just worried that we might not be able to renew my husband's passport now since it still valid until 2016! lol

Timeline

You can probably renew... sometimes they might ask for a reason (want to change the job on the old one, new address etc) but I actually dont think they would say no even if u didnt have a reason (not sure tho)

Thanks Sarsoor for the reply. We will definitely look into it! If you don't mind me asking, when did your husband's passport expire? I am just worried that we might not be able to renew my husband's passport now since it still valid until 2016! lol

Timeline

Sorry for replying late! I have no idea why I was notified you replied lol! I am not sure when his old one expired! But you can renew it with no specific reason other than wanting to get the new one! As said by Shayy, you don't have to provide new info or anything to get it renewed! :) Let's know how it went!

USCIS:
10.24.2012 - I-130 Sent
10.29.2012 - NOA1 Received (By email)
11.01.2012 - Check cashed
12.28.2012 - Online status says "RFE"
01.28.2013 - FINALLY got the RFE letter
01.30.2013 - Sent out the RFE response
02.15.2013 - NOA2

NVC
03.11.13: NVC Received
03.25.13: Case/IIN Received
03.25.13: DS-3032 sent (Supervisor Review)
03.26.13: Expedite Request sent (via Congressman)
03.26.13: Expedite Request forwarded to Embassy in Cairo
03.28.13: DS-3032 accepted
03.28.13: AOS bill invoiced
03.29.13: Pay AOS bill
04.07.13: AOS bill shows PAID
03.29.13: IV bill invoiced
03.29.13: Pay IV bill
04.07.13: IV bill shows PAID
04.11.13: AOS package sent
04.12.13: AOS package received
04.11.13: IV package sent
04.12.13: IV package received

04.24.13: Case complete
04.29.13: Interview scheduled

05.02.13: Medical Exam

05.03.13: Earlier Interview Request sent

05.06.13: Case left NVC

05.08.13: Case arrived at embassy

05.27.13: Interview - EGYPT - APPROVED ALHUMDUALLAH!

event.png

event.png

Timeline

You can probably renew... sometimes they might ask for a reason (want to change the job on the old one, new address etc) but I actually dont think they would say no even if u didnt have a reason (not sure tho)

Thanks Shayy! I am glad to hear that Egypt is lax on this :) I'll let my husband know, so he can look into the process :) Thanks again for all of your help!

Sorry for replying late! I have no idea why I was notified you replied lol! I am not sure when his old one expired! But you can renew it with no specific reason other than wanting to get the new one! As said by Shayy, you don't have to provide new info or anything to get it renewed! :) Let's know how it went!

Thanks Sarsoor! I will let my husband know, and we'll try to do the expedite one ;)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.