LA-N400

Signing on photos during naturalization interview-name change

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Malaysia
Timeline

Hi,

I had interview on 4/1/2013 and I requested a name change during the interview. I read other threads that the IO would normally request you to sign off/print your name on your photos after you have passed the interview.

However, the IO DID NOT ask me to sign off my new name on my photos. The IO only asked me to sign off using my "new" name at the bottom of the last page in the N-400. Is this normal? (Note: The IO did give me three copies of name change petition to sign-off and ask me to sign the petitions using my old name.)

Am I required to sign-off my "new name" on my photos? If not, does this mean - I would need to sign/print my new name on my photos during the oath ceremony?

Another question - Should I put a "signature" on the photos or just "print" my new name?

Please share your experience. Thanks!

GC Since Feb 16, 2008
DO Los Angeles, CA
11/23/12: N-400 mailed to Phoenix, AZ
11/26/12: N-400 delivered
11/30/12: NOA received
12/03/12: FP notice recvd (FP scheduled on 12/13/2012)
12/13/12: FP done
01/16/13: In line for interview scheduling
01/28/13: YL received
02/25/13: Interview scheduled
03/04/13: IL Recvd.(Interview on 04/01/13)
04/01/13: Interview (Recommended for approval)
04/05/13: Oath Ceremony scheduled
04/10/13: Oath Letter received-Oath Ceremony scheduled on 04/16/2013, 1.03pm at LA Convention Center
04/16/13: Oath Ceremony "US Citizen"

04/18/13: Applied passport-regular & overnight delivery

05/06/13: Passport received.

05/09/13: Naturalization Certificate & Name Change Petition received.

05/10/13: SSN update status and changed Name for new SSN card

05/20/13: DMV- replace Driver License with new name

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline

when i did my interview the io didnt ask me to sign my name on the picture either, but i did write my name on the pictures before i sent my application so maybe thats why......

Service Center : Vermont Service Center
Consulate : HAITI
I-129F SENT APRIL 25, 2013
NOA1 APRIL 29, 2013
ALIEN # CHANGE MAY 7, 2013
NOA2 JULY 14, 2013
NVC RECEIVE JULY 19, 2013
LEFT NVC JULY 23, 2013
EMBASSY RECEIVED JULY 25, 2013
PACKET 3 SENT AUGUST 7, 2013 (BUT VIA MAIL)
RECEIVED PACKET 3 AUGUST 26, 2013 IN THE STATE
FIANCE RECIEVED PACKET 3 AUGUST 29, 2013
event.png
event.png
event.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

when I had my interview I didn't sing my name on the pictures either, I only signed my citizenship at the oath ceremony!... don't sweat it you will be fine. good luck and congrats!

event.png

Filed: Other Timeline

As far as I know and remember from my own naturalization, the three copies of the name change petition have to be signed in the new name. Doesn't matter. The photos you already submitted, so there's no way for you to put your new name on them anyway, right?

All you need to make sure is that when you have your Oath Ceremony that you receive your Certificate of Naturalization in your new name and that the "Petition for Name Change" that should be stapled to the back of the Certificate is there as well and filled out correctly. In fact, the I.O. most likely asked you at the interview if that is all correct as written, didn't he?

If something is wrong, do NOT leave the building after the Oath but ask to speak with an I.O. and bring it to their attention. Once you leave the building you are what your Certificate says you are, even if it reads Minni Mouse.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

One thing I remember from my oath, the IO told me to sign the Certificate as close as possible to how I signed during my biometric appointment, I am sure that will be different for you perhaps! good luck!

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Malaysia
Timeline

Hi,

Thank you all for your replies.

Today (4/5/2013)- I received notification that my oath ceremony has been scheduled, even though I requested name change during the Interview. Looks like LA DO is moving fast. I hope I can get my new name in the Naturalization Certificate during the oath ceremony.

Thanks!

Edited by LA-N400

GC Since Feb 16, 2008
DO Los Angeles, CA
11/23/12: N-400 mailed to Phoenix, AZ
11/26/12: N-400 delivered
11/30/12: NOA received
12/03/12: FP notice recvd (FP scheduled on 12/13/2012)
12/13/12: FP done
01/16/13: In line for interview scheduling
01/28/13: YL received
02/25/13: Interview scheduled
03/04/13: IL Recvd.(Interview on 04/01/13)
04/01/13: Interview (Recommended for approval)
04/05/13: Oath Ceremony scheduled
04/10/13: Oath Letter received-Oath Ceremony scheduled on 04/16/2013, 1.03pm at LA Convention Center
04/16/13: Oath Ceremony "US Citizen"

04/18/13: Applied passport-regular & overnight delivery

05/06/13: Passport received.

05/09/13: Naturalization Certificate & Name Change Petition received.

05/10/13: SSN update status and changed Name for new SSN card

05/20/13: DMV- replace Driver License with new name

Filed: Other Timeline

Your Certificate of Naturalization is printed and signed by the time you take the Oath. Either it is in the name you requested or it is not. If it is not, you need to bring this to the I.O.'s attention before you leave.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.