Rose416

US born baby wants to be Canadian citizen too!

17 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I am a permanent resident in the US, and had a baby a few months ago.

I'd like her to become a Canadian citizen also, and am wondering if anyone else has gone this route.

I have some questions:

1) Is it easier to apply in person, or can I do it all via mail? We'll be visiting Canada in a couple of months, so I was thinking we could take care of it then.

Also, 2)I'll be travelling with my Canadian passport and my baby's US passport. The name on mine is still my maiden name, so it is different from my baby's. Do you think this will be an issue with customs?

Thanks for your help!!

AOS

POE @ Toronto Pearson - 08/12/10

Civil Ceremony - 08/27/10

Applied for SSN in married name - 09/06/10 (I was told it will take 4 weeks to get the background check cleared and an additional 2 weeks to receive my card)

AOS/EAD/AP sent with FedEx - 09/25/10

E-Notice From Chicago - 10/05/10

I-797C, NOA1 Received - 10/08/10

SSN card received (FINALLY!)- 10/23/10

Biometrics appointment - 10/28/10

EAD Approved - 11/19/10 (USCIS Website Notice)

AP Approved & Received - 11/22/10

EAD Received- 11/23/10

Interview - 02/07/11 APPROVED!

I am now a U.S. Permanent Resident!!

My K1 Journey can be found on the 'About Me' page

Canada Border Services Agency is picky when it comes to children, especially that young.

If your husband is not travelling with you make sure you have a notarized letter showing that he is aware of your travel and is okay with it. There are examples on-line for it: http://travel.gc.ca/travelling/children/consent-letter

Enjoy your visit home!

Not sure about her citizenship thing. I’m not planning any more children so I’ve not looked into it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I was just researching this yesterday as I am now 2 months pregnant as well. From what i understand from the citizenship site you need to have your babys long for birth certificate, and fill out an application for citizenship as well. you can get that here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/CIT0003ETOC.asp

halfway down the page is this paragraph:

Is your child already a citizen?

In general, a child born to a Canadian parent outside Canada before April 17, 2009, is a Canadian citizen. However, a child born to a Canadian parent outside Canada on or after April 17, 2009, is a Canadian citizen at birth only if that child is born in the first generation outside Canada, that is, at the time of their birth, their Canadian parent:

• was born in Canada, or
  • became a Canadian citizen by immigrating to Canada (becoming a permanent resident) and being granted citizenship (also know as naturalization).

If your child is a Canadian citizen, use the Application for a Citizenship Certificate under section 3 (CIT 0001).

The issue is finding someone in the usa that can do proper photos to the specifications they want. also, fill out the form as if you are the child its the only way it makes sense for some of the questions. :)

hope that helps! you can also contact your nearest consulate as well if you have any issues or questions, but it should all be doable by mail.

HWDWm6.png

Timeline

Canada Border Services Agency is picky when it comes to children, especially that young.

If your husband is not travelling with you make sure you have a notarized letter showing that he is aware of your travel and is okay with it. There are examples on-line for it: http://travel.gc.ca/.../consent-letter

Enjoy your visit home!

Not sure about her citizenship thing. I'm not planning any more children so I've not looked into it.

HIkergirl is right, if you go alone you definitely will need that letter. IF your worried about the last names just keep a copy of your marriage certificate with your passport, that's what i do. And you can also hit up the passport place to update yours to your new married name at the same time when you go back home.

Edited by Kimbear

HWDWm6.png

Timeline

I was just researching this yesterday as I am now 2 months pregnant as well. From what i understand from the citizenship site you need to have your babys long for birth certificate, and fill out an application for citizenship as well. you can get that here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/CIT0003ETOC.asp

halfway down the page is this paragraph:

Is your child already a citizen?

In general, a child born to a Canadian parent outside Canada before April 17, 2009, is a Canadian citizen. However, a child born to a Canadian parent outside Canada on or after April 17, 2009, is a Canadian citizen at birth only if that child is born in the first generation outside Canada, that is, at the time of their birth, their Canadian parent:

• was born in Canada, or
  • became a Canadian citizen by immigrating to Canada (becoming a permanent resident) and being granted citizenship (also know as naturalization).

If your child is a Canadian citizen, use the Application for a Citizenship Certificate under section 3 (CIT 0001).

The issue is finding someone in the usa that can do proper photos to the specifications they want. also, fill out the form as if you are the child its the only way it makes sense for some of the questions. :)

hope that helps! you can also contact your nearest consulate as well if you have any issues or questions, but it should all be doable by mail.

I was reading that link you sent, and it says if you are in Canada to mail it to Nova Scotia and if you are outside Canada to contact your nearest consulate. Does that mean if we are living in the USA we cannot mail it to Nova Scotia but instead have to go through the local consulate?

VeeNDee

April 23, 2013 - AOS interview - Approved!

January 26, 2015 - Mailed off ROC Application

June 30, 2015 - 10 year greencard in hand

January 25, 2016 - N400 Application Mailed

May 11, 2016 - Citizenship Interview + same-day Oath ceremony!

Timeline

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/proof-how.asp

that link has better info.

You still mail the application to Nova Scotia. Only internationals need to bring it to the local consulate.

HWDWm6.png

Timeline

Yeesh, personal photo ID as one of two pieces of ID. I wonder how they take the baby picture since they can't exactly stand up...

VeeNDee

Timeline

Yeesh, personal photo ID as one of two pieces of ID. I wonder how they take the baby picture since they can't exactly stand up...

lol ya know i was wondering the same bloody thing since we want to do it asap after baby is born but jeez, trying to take a newborns pic? Right...LOL

HWDWm6.png

Timeline

We actually did not have a hard time taking my son's picture for his passport when he was 2 months old (5 months ago). He flirted with the Post Office ladies the whole time :blink: Hardest part was holding him without having my fingers show on the picture.

Husband and I have decided to let our kids pick whether they wanted to be dual or not. It might restrain their career choices if they are and I feel it's not for me to choose.

US citizen since April 2016

ROC completed April 2014

AOS from K1 completed February 2012

Filed: Timeline

Husband and I have decided to let our kids pick whether they wanted to be dual or not. It might restrain their career choices if they are and I feel it's not for me to choose.

It's not actually up to anyone to "pick". For citizenship at birth, they are either a citizen or they are not. They just may not have proof of it. If they are indeed a citizen, they can apply for proof at any time.

Timeline

I was trying to think what the negatives of dual citizenship might be for Canadians. As Americans I can see it being a pain on 2 fronts - the whole registering for the draft thing (unlikely to happen but still required) and the whole having to file taxes EVERY SINGLE YEAR no matter where you live. On the Canadian front, are there actually any negatives for having Canadian citizenship? I am obviously biased as Canadian but didn't realize there could be negatives...

VeeNDee

Timeline

I was trying to think what the negatives of dual citizenship might be for Canadians. As Americans I can see it being a pain on 2 fronts - the whole registering for the draft thing (unlikely to happen but still required) and the whole having to file taxes EVERY SINGLE YEAR no matter where you live. On the Canadian front, are there actually any negatives for having Canadian citizenship? I am obviously biased as Canadian but didn't realize there could be negatives...

the only annoying thing i can think of is the increased cost for a passport if you don't live in Canada, but now that they are valid the same amount of years and a US one it should be easier to renew.

HWDWm6.png

Honestly Canada is one of the most liberal places about being a citizen. You are one unless you actually renounce it and they recognize that people can citizens of multiple countries.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Timeline

Honestly Canada is one of the most liberal places about being a citizen. You are one unless you actually renounce it and they recognize that people can citizens of multiple countries.

It's the same with the U.S., other than the part about having to enter the U.S. on a U.S. passport.

It's the same with the U.S., other than the part about having to enter the U.S. on a U.S. passport.

That's because to the US govt you are only a US citizen. They just don't recognize the fact you have other citizenship. lol

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.