Mary Therese

Medical Exam Experience for US Embassy Applicants

41 posts in this topic

Hi everyone...this site has been tremendously helpful for me and my fiance since the start of our processing...so to show my appreciation for the site and all the members...I would also like to share my Medical Exam experience last March 25-26, 2013 at St. Luke's Extension Clinic (SLEC)

Well before my medical exam..I was looking for a very recent post of someone about their experience, there were some..but I thought something more recent will be a much better guide...Thus for those that are looking for one, hope this helps...

So...i counted 7 days after my last day of menstruation (March 17 - by the way this will be asked numerous times all throughout the process). As advised, take your medical exam at least 7 days after the last day or LMP , so i picked March 25 as it was the soonest possible. (My interveiw btw is April 8....yes sorry havent filled in timeline yet) :)

I stayed at Hotel Soriente, i guess this is sort of known here..., the rooms were..well 'ok', wifi is not that good, and my room rate (the cheapest one 1,669.00/night) did not include any breakfast...Anyway even if there was one, you wont be able to take it on Day 1 coz...you have to be there before sunrise...;) Anyway it was good enough because it was only around 30 second walk to SLEC.

THINGS YOU WILL NEED:

- BREAKFAST (yes you will be there at dawn, but make sure you have breakfast, im serious ;)

- Passport

- Embassy Appointment Confirmation (for us K1 Visa applicants its the one e-mailed to you...just print that out)

- 1 photocopy of passport (make sure its in a short bond paper)

- 3 visa photos with name at the back

- 1 copy of NOA 2

- 2 copies of instruction letter from USEM

- 2 copies of the the Patient Data Sheet form that filled in online

Misc:

- original and 2 copies of your vaccination record if any

- jacket (there are some areas that are cold, like when the only available seat is right in front of the AC)

- bottled water

- biscuits(just hide them well inside the bag, when you reach the last step your tummy will be screaming for food)

- books,ipads,etc(something to kill the time with, coz there's a looong wait per step, but you must not get too engrossed you might miss your name being called)

Day 1

I arrived there at 4:45AM and boy..the line was already long. I overheard some people were already there at 3AM.

So i got in line...the security guard started giving priority numbers at 5AM and when it was my turn he looked for the ff:

1. Passport

2. Embassy Appointment Confirmation (for us K1 Visa applicants its the one e-mailed to you...just print that out)

Those who already filled in online and those who didnt gets a different set of priority number cards.Red for those who registered and filled-in online (www.slec.ph) and blue for those who didnt. I got No.42 red card labeled ONLINE. So to lessen the hassle, just fill in online and print that out.

The chairs weren't enough for those who came that day so..i stood and waited for my number to be called.

STEP 1 RECEPTION AREA - Ground Floor

My number was called and it was my turn to get in line for the Reception area. Here I presented my passport and the ff. documents were submitted:

- 1 photocopy of passport (make sure its in a short bond paper)

- 1 visa photo with name at the back

- 1 copy of NOA 2

- 2 copies of instruction letter from USEM

- 2 copies of the the Patient Data Sheet form that i filled in online

they stamped something on my passport, took my picture and then gave me a piece of paper that will serve as a checklist for the examinations, and then i was told to proceed to payment

STEP 2 CASHIER - 5th Flr.

- i got on queue, then paid the 9,143.00 php in cash (never lose the receipt) and was then told to proceed to 4th floor

STEP 3 Laboratory - 4th Floor

- upon reaching there I submitted the checklist on the counter and then they advised to wait for my name get called...(so I try to find a seat if you can)

- after the wait , my name got called for blood extraction, (when your name gets called you will be waiting in line again with more or less 5-10 people ahead of you)

- after the blood extraction they told me to get seated again and wait for my name to be called, my name got called after a while and i was given a specimen container with my name labeled on it of course, good thing i was ready to pee (i finished a whole bottle when i went up to 4th floor,so by the time i got called i was ready to pee!)

- i returned the specimen bottle, and then was told to proceed to 3rd floor for Chest X-ray

STEP 4 Chest X-Ray - 3rd Floor

- it will be the same scenario for each step...arrive at the floor,submit checklist with receipt on counter, find a seat, wait for your name get called and they will hand back the checklist, get on queue with 5 or so persons, have the exam and proceed to next step

- after the x-ray i got told to proceed to 2nd floor for Immunization interview

STEP 5 Immunization Interview - 2nd Floor

- same scenario above...then my name got finally called

- there was a doctor seated in front of a computer and she did her interview while encoding my answers in the computer.

(again like i mentioned earlier the 1st and last day of most recent period will be asked almost over & over all throughout even until day 2 of exam)

- if you have any immunization record you have to show it and submit the 2 copies, the doctor will determine which shots will be given based on the interview but dependent on the medical results

- so..i was assigned 3 shots and when i was done there i was told to proceed to 5th floor again

STEP 6 Vital Signs,Ht & Wt,Visual Acuity, Physical Exam - 5th Floor

- again...the same scenario upon reaching that floor...

- first was the Vital Signs so i submitted the checklist to VS counter and yes again you will be told 'hintayin nyo lang po tawagin pangalan nyo mam' so..hope you find a seat

- after VS,submitted checklist to US Counter...waiting game again...then i got called for Ht,wt.,visual acuity, after that i was told to wait again...

- yay! my name finally got called - I was informed to proceed to Door 5 , i got on queue outside door 5 (the kid beside me was wailing to his mommy & daddy that he was so hungry already :(

- so my turn finally came...the doctor gave a brief interview and then asked me to remove clothing, wear a gown and lay in the exam bed.

She did a quick but thorough inspection,including private parts...

- after that i had the checklist back and was told to proceed to check-out counter at 3rd floor

STEP 7 - Check-Out Counter - 3rd floor

- I handed the papers with me, and again....was told to wait for my name to get called, when i got called the lady told me to come back the next day and stamped something and wrote 9AM at the back of the receipt

I was done by 12:40PM and i was soooo hungry!

DAY 2

The back receipt was stamped 9AM so i went there at 8:30 AM...tsk...i kind of regretted that, I shouldve went there earlier like...7AM.

So when I arrived there i presented the receipt & small checklist to the security guard, he counter-checked with the computer to see what floor i should proceed according to the masterlist (I have to admit it was kind of an anxious moment there because if you dont get stamped for Immunization...it might mean something was questionable in your medical results...) Praise GOD i was due for Immunization 2nd Floor. Upon reaching there, same process again - gave my receipt, got seated and waited for my name. As there were many people already by the time I was there, i waited 1 HOUR to get vaccinated.(btw 26 hrs later..as in right now, my biceps still hurt a bit- ouch)

Afterward I was told to return to ground floor for the releasing. Upon reaching I found a seat..and for the nth time..waited for my name

to be called

Wow...here I waited 2 HOURS for the Vaccination record and Chest Xray CD to be released.

First I was called at Window A and the staff there just made me sign a document that stated i received the cd and the vaccination document (something like that) - then return to seat and wait again

after almost an hour i was called again and this time to Window D , where i submitted the 2 other 2x2 Photos and the document and cd was released. The staff on that window then informed me that they will be forwarding the results to embassy...aaaaand I WAS DONE! PHEW

THANK YOU LORD...

Dont worry about where to go next and how to find it, the staff will direct you where to proceed next and SLEC isnt that big you will easily find the reception counters....

It was a tiring, anxious experience but...well..we all know it will all soon be worth it :)

GOD BLESS US ALL. :innocent::thumbs:

we are now expecting our first baby! :goofy: (L) :dancing: (F) :wub: :star: :dance: :jest:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Congratulations and Goodluck for your interview!!! :thumbs: :thumbs:

Picture4.jpg

Picture5.jpg

----------------------------------------

K-1 Journey (I-129F)

09/10/2010 ----- Filing date of I-129 F

09/22/2010 ----- NOA 1

02/22/2011 ----- Case being adjudicated

02/28/2011 ----- RFE, Waiver to file 2nd K-1 petition

03/04/2011 ----- RFE reply sent

03/08/2011 ----- RFE received and being reviewed at USCIS

03/17/2011 ----- NOA2 (I-129F approved)

03/23/2011 ----- NOA2 hard copy received

03/29/2011 ----- NVC received our Case

04/04/2011 ----- NVC letter received and case forwarded to US embassy Manila

04/08/2011 ----- US Embassy Manila received our case (Consulate)

04/15/2011 ----- Paid VISA at BPI

04/16/2011 ----- Received Eligibility Letter from US Embassy Manila dated April 8, 2011

04/25/2011 ----- 1st day of Medical

04/26/2011 ----- 2nd day of Medical (I PASSED!! Thank you Lord!!)

05/13/2011 ----- Interview (221g - Case under Administrative Processing "AP")

08/12/2011 ----- Received an email from the embassy "Case is pending review by a consular officer"

----------------------------------------

My blog: All about my writings and essays

hi..no..only the medical exam results will be forwarded by them directly to the US Embassy...they stamped something stating 'Verified' St Luke's...(something like that) at the back but they will return the passport, there are even reminders on the walls inside the building on each floor to ensure that you have your passport with you before you leave..and that St. Luke's will not be held liable for any lost passport...

Additionally..in the US Embassy instructions found in their website...the Passport is the first document among the list of what to bring during the interview...

hope that helps... :)

we are now expecting our first baby! :goofy: (L) :dancing: (F) :wub: :star: :dance: :jest:

Hi...

This was an official statement of instruction from the downloadable interview preparation instructions in their website http://manila.usembassy.gov

'MEDICAL EXAMINATION. All K1 and K2 visa applicants must complete a medical examination at St. Luke’s Medical Center Extension Clinic (SLMCEC) at least a week before the interview appointment."

I think they advise 1 week to allow ample amount of time and ensure that your results are already with the embassy...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~~~Move to K-1 Fiance(e) Visa Case Filing and Progress Reports, from Games While You Wait~~~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

• 1 month later...
Filed: Timeline

hi mary therese, your post is helpful. i just received my mnl # today but not yet sent to USEM and i am a bit excited already to start the process. i have seen in some post that i can go ahead to bpi and pay for my visa fee $240 for k1 just by using my mnl # and they will give me a receipt. which i will use for setting an appointment of interview online. but how about the medical, you mentioned that i need to present instruction letter from USEM? this is my problem because my case is still in nvc. can i just present my noa2 instead?and the receipt that i paid my visa fee in bpi.

hi jepongsky...as for me...yung NOA 2 was exactly 1 month from my official letter from USEM. Yes i think you can go ahead and pay the visa fee na to BPI..it doesnt matter coz your visa fee has a 1year validity. Dont forget to bring your passport when you pay for your visa fee, the teller asked for it, but i forgot it...she said 'ok any id will do, you're lucky i know you' yeah the teller was an acquaintance :D

anyway...by knowing your NOA 2 date you pretty much have an idea when your USEM letter might arrive, i understand it wont be the same for each applicant but at least you have a guage...anyway it is not the interview that's dependent on the medical exam..it is the medical exam date that is dependent on your interview date...you must have your medical exam at least 7 days before your interview date, and i guess you're a guy so you wont have to worry bout all that 7 days after last day of mestrual period thing... ;)

Schedule your interview first, then plan for your medical exam date

Here's what i can suggest:

1. pay your visa fee

2. fill in DS 156 online

3. call the embassy and make an interview appointment, say example...pick one that's 2 months from now (if they say you have to wait for the official instruction letter first then ok call again when you have it) , (or if you get a schedule with just the case number then great, then you can proceed with planning for your medical exam date, and of course 7 days prior to your chosen interview date you have the letter already )

4. accomplish other requirements while on the wait

hope that helped

Filed: Timeline

thanks a lot sis. by the way im a girl, :) ( the beneficiary) .. my profile name is a mix of my bf's name :) g00d thing you mentioned about the menstrual cycle, it just came today also haha, maybe due to stress or excitement:)so my medical exam should be 7 days after the LAST day of my menstrual period and atleast 7 days before my interview date right?is it also okay to set the interview date online? im afraid they will give me june schedule if i call through the embassy number. keeping my fingers crossed if everything will be okay , i am planning to have my interview date on the last week of the month of may . my soon to be hubby's birthday is on june 15:) im hoping we can finish everything and be with each other on his day:)do you think the time is too short to for me to finish everything by june 15.

thanks a lot for the info:) i appreciate it:)

Timeline

hi jepongsky...as for me...yung NOA 2 was exactly 1 month from my official letter from USEM. Yes i think you can go ahead and pay the visa fee na to BPI..it doesnt matter coz your visa fee has a 1year validity. Dont forget to bring your passport when you pay for your visa fee, the teller asked for it, but i forgot it...she said 'ok any id will do, you're lucky i know you' yeah the teller was an acquaintance biggrin.png

anyway...by knowing your NOA 2 date you pretty much have an idea when your USEM letter might arrive, i understand it wont be the same for each applicant but at least you have a guage...anyway it is not the interview that's dependent on the medical exam..it is the medical exam date that is dependent on your interview date...you must have your medical exam at least 7 days before your interview date, and i guess you're a guy so you wont have to worry bout all that 7 days after last day of mestrual period thing... wink.png

Schedule your interview first, then plan for your medical exam date

Here's what i can suggest:

1. pay your visa fee

2. fill in DS 156 online

3. call the embassy and make an interview appointment, say example...pick one that's 2 months from now (if they say you have to wait for the official instruction letter first then ok call again when you have it) , (or if you get a schedule with just the case number then great, then you can proceed with planning for your medical exam date, and of course 7 days prior to your chosen interview date you have the letter already )

4. accomplish other requirements while on the wait

hope that helped

Hi, you mention on your recount of your medical exam that you need to fill out Patient Information. Do you have the link to fill this information ahead of time. Also does the NOA2 is enough to present to them for your medical exam or you have to wait for the Embassy Letter. Thanks.

Timeline

thanks a lot sis. by the way im a girl, smile.png ( the beneficiary) .. my profile name is a mix of my bf's name smile.png g00d thing you mentioned about the menstrual cycle, it just came today also haha, maybe due to stress or excitement:)so my medical exam should be 7 days after the LAST day of my menstrual period and atleast 7 days before my interview date right?is it also okay to set the interview date online? im afraid they will give me june schedule if i call through the embassy number. keeping my fingers crossed if everything will be okay , i am planning to have my interview date on the last week of the month of may . my soon to be hubby's birthday is on june 15:) im hoping we can finish everything and be with each other on his day:)do you think the time is too short to for me to finish everything by june 15.

thanks a lot for the info:) i appreciate it:)

You can schedule your interview online after you fill out the DS-160 form. Be sure you have a scanned passport photo before you do it because you will be asked to upload it. You will also be ask to create a profile to their (US Embassy) website.

Hi, you mention on your recount of your medical exam that you need to fill out Patient Information. Do you have the link to fill this information ahead of time. Also does the NOA2 is enough to present to them for your medical exam or you have to wait for the Embassy Letter. Thanks.

Hi actually all infor re: your med exam is found on slec.ph

link for online reg: ---> http://www.slec.ph/us/registration/

and....the required dox..regular K1 VISA ka right? here are the req:

Regular Immigrants and K-Visa Applicants
Valid passport
Photocopy of Passport Biographic/Data Page, the page in the passport that contains the applicant's photo and information
3 pieces recent 2x2 visa photos (2 for submission to the U.S. Embassy, 1 for clinic file)
The US Embassy requires you to bring the 2x2 photos for your visa issuance. We regret not to release the medical report until such time that you can provide this requirement.
Appointment letter from the Embassy or Instruction letter from the National Visa Center (NVC), if available,
2 photocopies of your Appointment Letter/ Instruction Letter
Applicants are also required to provide the name, address and contact number of their petitioner in the U.S.A.

As highlighted they will ask for the instruction letter copy....so..you will need it, thats why i suggested you schedule a medical exam date that would probably tell you you have the letter already...

You can schedule your interview online after you fill out the DS-160 form. Be sure you have a scanned passport photo before you do it because you will be asked to upload it. You will also be ask to create a profile to their (US Embassy) website.

Ummm...i dont get your post above...seems like you're answering your own question...hehe

Umm..what visa are you processing? K1 visa isnt it?

To have reference of what im talking about do more reading on USEM website..its ALL there... :)

Then you will see that a K1 visa applicant will instead fill in the DS 156 instead of the DS 160, no uploaded photo needed, you will bring the visa photo on the interview...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.