Sapele

Visa Interview in Nigeria

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hey guys,

Thanks for your wonderful reply from my first post.

So my wife is preparing to go for her interview now in Lagos Nigeria(my mom too)and my wife is going with our two kids.

My mom i know would be straight and my two kids under 10 but my worry is my wife as people say the guys at the embassy in Lagos Nigeria are mean to wives,how true is this?

What are the likely questions my mom and wife will be asked?anybody gone through the interview process in Nigeria before?please help me here thanks.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

You might want to post this question in the North African subforum

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/97-middle-east-and-north-africa/

Sent I-129 Application to VSC 2/1/12
NOA1 2/8/12
RFE 8/2/12
RFE reply 8/3/12
NOA2 8/16/12
NVC received 8/27/12
NVC left 8/29/12
Manila Embassy received 9/5/12
Visa appointment & approval 9/7/12
Arrived in US 10/5/2012
Married 11/24/2012
AOS application sent 12/19/12

AOS approved 8/24/13

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Your children are they USC's or did you petition them also ? Nigeria is rude to everyone. You would think they would have more trust to people marrying in country but the will not. They will frequently want DNA of the children if you petitioned them as well.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Since the kids are included in the petition, be prepared to be asked to go for DNA test.

There is a review section where you can read through reviews from each country. Here is the link for NIgeria:

http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/index.php?cnty=Nigeria&cty=&dfilter=5

Edited by ndu26

GOD has been WONDERFUL!!!
CR-1 (for Husband):
09/15/2012: Got Married
09/26/2012: Mailed I-130 from Nigeria( delayed by customs)
USCIS stage ( 66 days)
10/12/2012: NOA 1
12/17/2012: NOA 2 (case was transferred to NYC office 11/27/12)
NVC stage ( 20 days)
01/08/2013: Case # and IIN assigned ( file arrived NVC mail room 12/20/12)
01/09/2013: AOS invoiced and paid, DS-3032 emailed and mailed.
01/16/2013: IV invoiced &paid. AOS & IV mailed in one package(arrived 01/18).

01/28/2013: Case complete!!!
04/19/2013: Interview; APPROVED!!!!!
05/13/2013: POE; JFK

N-400: (3 months and 12 days)
Filed N-400 : 2011-06-17
Interview: 2011-09-27
Oath Ceremony: 2011-09-30

IR-5 for Mom Entire process took 5 months exactly
USCIS (22days)

mailed I-130 : 2011-09-30
NOA 1: 2011-10-03 (text & email)
NOA 2: 2011-10-25 (text and email)
NVC: (19 days)
Case entered and # assigned: 2011-11-18
NVC Case COMPLETED: 2011-12-07 ( 43 days from NOA 2 and 65 days from NOA 1)
Interview Date(Lagos): 2012-01- 23
Mom was late for interview
New Interview date: 2012-02-29 : VISA APPROVED

Timeline

A big thank you to the last poster with the DNA THING as that has opened my eyes to a new thing,as i did not know kids require DNA testing and honestly was not prepared for that.

My situation is a little tricky here and i want advice from the house.

I am currently a service member in one of the US Armed forces and currently deployed on combat and i know where i am, i will never be able to get a DNA test.

But the thing is the US Govt has my DNA on their data as customary with all service members and if the worst scenario comes into play by them asking for DNA from my kids,would the Embassy have access to my DNA data?i know our data is protected by an act of congress but since its a governmental agency would they be allowed access to my info?

Has any military member in the US registered here gone through this process before?

The NVC has a letter from the US Military stating my combat status,so will they still require my kids do the DNA knowing i cannot be reached for anything?or would everything be put on hold until i am through with my tour of duty which would be in some long months from now.

Will really appreciate responses from people who have gone through this process or know anything,or somebody that has gone this process to give me an hindsight.

Thanks all.

Timeline

A big thank you to the last poster with the DNA THING as that has opened my eyes to a new thing,as i did not know kids require DNA testing and honestly was not prepared for that.

My situation is a little tricky here and i want advice from the house.

I am currently a service member in one of the US Armed forces and currently deployed on combat and i know where i am, i will never be able to get a DNA test.

But the thing is the US Govt has my DNA on their data as customary with all service members and if the worst scenario comes into play by them asking for DNA from my kids,would the Embassy have access to my DNA data?i know our data is protected by an act of congress but since its a governmental agency would they be allowed access to my info?

Has any military member in the US registered here gone through this process before?

The NVC has a letter from the US Military stating my combat status,so will they still require my kids do the DNA knowing i cannot be reached for anything?or would everything be put on hold until i am through with my tour of duty which would be in some long months from now.

Will really appreciate responses from people who have gone through this process or know anything,or somebody that has gone this process to give me an hindsight.

Thanks all.

Hi Sapele,

First, Thank for your service to our country.

As for your issue. I can't say you will defiantly have to have a DNA for your children(because of your status) however what proof have you sent for the interview?

I think at interview time they should have:

Proof of support(WU, joint banking etc)

On going pictures and letters to your family

A LETTER FROM YOU CO REGARDING YOUR STATUS

How comfortable will your wife be speaking up regarding your military status should she be given a DNA request letter?

Now should she get that request I would immediately write to the Chief Immigration Officer at Lagos asking for help.

In some cases they might intervene or at least respond.(my personal experience)

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

If you have documented your life as father well ( pictures with the children through the years ) they may not ask for DNA. However because of the shady ways Nigerians try to bring close relatives over DNA is asked for from Nigeria more than other countries. The DNA lab typically process the related parties all at the same time. They also have an approved list of labs that can do the testing to make sure nothing shady is going on. Most probably your sample done by the US military could satify the requirement for your collection. The children would still need to be matched to you. Just wait until they ask. If you have pictures of you with the children at various ages/times make sure that your wife brings them to the interview if you didnt include them in the package.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

If you have documented your life as father well ( pictures with the children through the years ) they may not ask for DNA. However because of the shady ways Nigerians try to bring close relatives over DNA is asked for from Nigeria more than other countries. The DNA lab typically process the related parties all at the same time. They also have an approved list of labs that can do the testing to make sure nothing shady is going on. Most probably your sample done by the US military could satify the requirement for your collection. The children would still need to be matched to you. Just wait until they ask. If you have pictures of you with the children at various ages/times make sure that your wife brings them to the interview if you didnt include them in the package.

Thanks for the reply as I do appreciate it.

Will wait first if anything is asked concerning the DNA. Then as regards pictures of them growing up I have a few with us due to my staying in the US and them in Nigeria and I visit home once a year.

Praying it does not get to that level. But will ask the military Doctor if my DNA profile can be sent to the Embassy in Nigeria if the need ever arises.

Thanks again.

Filed: Timeline

Thanks for the reply as I do appreciate it.

Will wait first if anything is asked concerning the DNA. Then as regards pictures of them growing up I have a few with us due to my staying in the US and them in Nigeria and I visit home once a year.

Praying it does not get to that level. But will ask the military Doctor if my DNA profile can be sent to the Embassy in Nigeria if the need ever arises.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the service and good luck on your journey.

I'll wager a guess that you are in the Navy based on your user name.

Gowon, Uncle of a USMC.

Timeline

This might be a stupid question.....by why are you petitioning your children for a visa? If you are a USC and can prove that, you should just be able to get them US passports. My son was born in Nigeria--I am the USC, my husband is Nigerian--and when he was born we just went to the embassy in Abuja and got his US passport. He carries both a US and Nigerian passport.

It just seems that the visa route is more expensive and lengthy....

If I am wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me. :)

Timeline

@Gowon thanks, no i am actually in the Marines.

@Nigerwife there is no such thing as a stupid question and yes you are wrong. Your child becomes a US Citizen Automatically if born after one of the parents becomes a citizen(for immigrants only) and if your child or kids are under 18 but were born before you became a US Citizen then you have to petition for Green card for them to get into the US. And once in you can then file for citizenship for them.

And this time they are given automatically. @ NigerWife i dont need to prove my citizenship as i work for the US GOVT and i am in their data base.

My bother is what if one of the overzealous embassy people now now says they need my DNA to match that with my kids?will wait until we get there anyway.

Thanks guys.

Timeline

Thanks for clarifying Sapele. I am a natural-born US citizen, so I wasn't considering the other factors that may apply to your case. Best of luck! Hopefully they won't require DNA--and if they do let's hope what is on file will suffice due to your circumstances.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.