mandyyxz

POE question

15 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

hi everyone, i am moving to the states pretty soon, and i heard something called port of entry and i am kinda confused about it. i am going to move from ontario to oklahoma. when i book my plan ticket, is there any specific airport (such as chicago, dallas ) i have to stop by to enter the US???? or i can just fly direct to oklahoma city? hope someone can help thanks :hehe:

Edited by mandyyxz

Hi mandyyxz,

A POE or Port of Entry is basically the place where you enter from Canada (or any other country for that matter). It can be any border crossing, international airport, etc. You don't have to stop at any specific one, just have your proper documents with you upon your arrival in the U.S. (Someone could contradict me on this, but I believe this to be the truth.)

Hope this helps!

~*calgal*~

~*DCF VANCOUVER TIMELINE*~

Jan 27, 2006 - Applied in person for DCF at the Vancouver, BC Consulate

Jan 27, 2006 - I-130 APPROVED

Feb 06, 2006 - Montreal receives I-130

Feb 21, 2006 - Received approval letter and packet 3

Feb 23, 2006 - DS-230 (Parts 1 and 2) sent to Montreal

April 1, 2006 - Checklist returned to Montreal

July 4, 2006 - Received packet 4 and interview date

Aug 16, 2006 - Medical exam in Vancouver

Sep 29, 2006 - Hubby's interview in Montreal

Filed: Other Timeline

if you're going from Ontario to Oklahoma, and you're flying, your POE will be the Toronto airport, when you go thru Customs & Immigration there. You just fill in an I-94, hand over your package that they gave you at the consulate, and your passport and whatnot, and they take your picture and fingerprints and they stamp you and you're on your way. Took me all of maybe 5 minutes, if that. Depends what terminal you go thru tho I think.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Timeline

thanks very much for the responses. i live in ottawa so i will fly from ottawa, so can ottawa airport be my POE? And when i search for flights, i think i will stop in chicago, dallas, so if i cant do it in ottawa airport,i can do it in any other airport in states?

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

when you fly from Canada to the United States, whichever airport you fly out of will be your POE .. you don't have a choice, you have to hand over your visa packet at customs & immigration in Canada before you fly out of Canada :yes:

Edited by MarilynP
mvSuprise-hug.gif

thanks very much for the responses. i live in ottawa so i will fly from ottawa, so can ottawa airport be my POE? And when i search for flights, i think i will stop in chicago, dallas, so if i cant do it in ottawa airport,i can do it in any other airport in states?

If you want to fly straight in from Ottawa (YOW) to US, it does have a PFI. But it has rather limited straight-in connexions.

You may want to reconsider going through YYZ (Pearson :P -- it DOES have more US connexions than YOW) as you may be able to get cheaper (or more time-convenient) flights that way.

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

You can fly from Ottawa and have your POE there. One note though, as you are CR-1 you do NOT fill out an I-94 you just hand in your packet and they will activate your visa in your passport. They will fill out a form that will eventually generate your "green card".

It is a breeze! No worries!

Best wishes on your new adventure!

Can the Naturalizatin process be so painless?!!

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
You can fly from Ottawa and have your POE there. One note though, as you are CR-1 you do NOT fill out an I-94 you just hand in your packet and they will activate your visa in your passport. They will fill out a form that will eventually generate your "green card".

It is a breeze! No worries!

Best wishes on your new adventure!

Correct CR-1 visa holders do not fill out an I-94 since you are a permanent resdient upon activation. Your POE will be at the airport where you last exit Canada into the US. If you fly from Ottawa to Toronto to Oaklahome, your POE will be at Pearson. If you fly from Ottawa to the US and then to Oklahome, your POE will be in Ottawa.

Edited by zyggy

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

Timeline
when you fly from Canada to the United States, whichever airport you fly out of will be your POE .. you don't have a choice, you have to hand over your visa packet at customs & immigration in Canada before you fly out of Canada :yes:

(F) Sorry, Marilyn.....Correction.......not every airport in Canada is a POE, you may have to go through customs after you leave Canada. When I flew to Boston in October, I flew from Newfoundland to Halifax to Boston.........Boston was my POE (I went through customs there). But you are right about Toronto being a POE (and bigger airports...........Halifax will one in the future). Good luck and God bless in your journey..............{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}

“For it was not into my ear you whispered, but into my heart. It was not my lips you kissed, but my soul.” JMAC

June 25, 2004 - Bruce & I met through mutual friends in my hometown in Newfoundland the night before he was going back to Maine

July 1 - First email between us

July 3 - I called him to wish him a Happy Independance Day

Daily phone calls and emails from there on in

October 20 - Bruce drove back to Newfoundland. He planned on staying a week but it ended up being 3 weeks. We knew for a fact we were in love!

March 19/05 - Bruce back in Newfoundland

April 8 - Bruce picked me up in North Sydney, NS and we drove to Maine. I stayed for a week due to work

July 26 - Bruce back to Newfoundland for another 3 weeks. I can't bear to see him leave.

August 10 - He asked me to marry him.........I had already asked him anyway just to make sure*_*

September 30 - I flew to Boston to meet Bruce there and then we drove back to Maine for 2 weeks

November 18 - We filed I-129F

December 1 - NOA Receipt #

December 28 - Received Packet 3

January 6/06 - Received my Police Certificate of Conduct

January 11 - Sent DS-230 Part 1 back to Montreal Consulate

February 3 - Sent off my check list to Montreal Consulate

March 24 - Medical

April 5 - Interview Date.....APPROVED......Yahoo

April 17 - Moving to Maine

May 16 - Bruce & I became Mr. & Mrs. in Las Vegas (Oh HAPPY DAY)

Timeline

(F) Sorry, Marilyn.....Correction.......not every airport in Canada is a POE, you may have to go through customs after you leave Canada. When I flew to Boston in October, I flew from Newfoundland to Halifax to Boston.........Boston was my POE (I went through customs there). But you are right about Toronto being a POE (and bigger airports...........Halifax will one in the future). Good luck and God bless in your journey..............{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}

yeah, I thought there was one that wasn't and I thought it was Halifax but I wasn't 100 percent sure

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

yeah, I thought there was one that wasn't and I thought it was Halifax but I wasn't 100 percent sure

Quebec City doesn't either... or Hamilton... or lots of other smaller cities and airports

Knowledge itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

I have gone fishing... you can find me by going here http://**removed due to TOS**

• 8 years later...
Timeline

For the record, Halifax is a PoE airport now. Gone through it plenty of times and husband will be flying through it as well.

1/15/2013 - Married

USCIS:
4/11: Mailed out IR-30 via FedEx Ground
4/15: Forms received by USCIS Chicago (Signed)

12/2: Case Transferred to CSC

12/17/2013: NOA-2!!!! (8 Months, 2 days)

NVC:

12/27/2013: Case received by NVC

1/23/2014: NVC Case #, BIN, & IIN received.

1/31/2014: DS-261 Available & filled out.

2/4/2014: AOS Invoice available & paid

2/7/2014: I-864(AOS) completed & sent

2/11/2014: IV Bill availiable and paid.

2/14/2014: DS-260 completed (IV)

2/14/2014: DS-260 support documents sent

2/26/2014: I-864 (AOS) documents received and logged by NVC.

3/4/2014: Checklist for AOS ( I knew it :|a)

3/5/2014: Checklist for AOS submitted

3/7/2014: DS-260 documents received & logged by NVC

3/13/2014: IV packet + documents approved and logged

4/14:2014: Case Complete!!! (3 months 2 weeks 4 days @NVC)

Consulate:

Medical: 05/28/2014

Interview: 06/03/2014 (?)

Consulate didn't like our police records, have to resend--> AP

APPROVED: 07/02/2014

visa in hand: 07/11/2014

PoE: Halifax Stanfield International (07/25/2014)

REMOVING CONDITIONS:

06/10/2016: Packet Mailed

06/16/2016: Check Cashed

7/11/2016: Biometrics Appointment

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

As this is an 8 year old thread, I am closing it off to further discussion in order to prevent any future confusion.

-VJ Moderation

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.