Chris & Anna

Trouble verifying EAD while applying for SSN

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

After my wife and I were married, we applied for my wife's AOS, and received the EAD card in her married name. Then we went to apply for her SSN and they told us we they could not verify her documents with USCIS. My wife went to USCIS and was told that although her EAD was issued in her married name, the system still has her maiden name. They could not change it until after the interview. We still have not received an appointment letter for the interview. I guess the issue is that we are applying for an SSN using the married name, and they are attempting to verify the married name EAD, but USCIS SAVE database only has maiden name.

Has anyone run into this issue? I'm concerned about getting her SSN in time to file my taxes. I can't file as married without her SSN, and will be forced to apply for an extension. IRS says we aren't eligible for an ITIN. My wife wants to work, and we are both very frustrated, especially since this is not the first problem we've had with SAVE and SSA/USCIS.

We are thinking of going to another SSA office, but I'm not sure if they can do something while this other application is still pending documentation verification.

K1 timeline

01/30/2012 - Sent I-129F

02/07/2012 - Received electronic NOA1

02/07/2012 - Check cashed

02/11/2012 - Received hard copy NOA1

06/22/2012 - Received electronic NOA2

06/28/2012 - Received hard copy NOA2

07/16/2012 - NVC received petition, case number assigned

07/17/2012 - NVC sent petition to Kiev

07/19/2012 - Embassy received petition.

08/09/2012 - Interview in Kiev

08/23/2012 - Entry at Pittsburgh, PA

11/02/2012 - Got married!

Filed: Country: Romania
Timeline

I think you can file for taxes before SSN if she gets a TAX ID number

Adjusting from B1/B2

Exactly 3 months from the day we got married till the day I had both SSN and GREENCARD in hand !

Day 1 01/22/2013 AOS package sent

Day 8 01/28/2013 NOA 1 received

Day 15 02/04/2013Biometrics appt letter for 2/25/2013

Day 16 02/05/2013 Succesful walk in biometrics 20 days early

Day 25 02/14/2013 USCIS status changed to Testing and Interview ready for interview scheduling

Day 31 02/20/2013 Email notification that my interview is scheduled for March 21st

Day 57 03/19/2013 EAD/AP card ordered

Day 59 03/21/2013 Interview at 10.30 am Seattle Approved

Day 67 03/29/ 2013 Greencard Arrived . Applied for SSN

Day 68 03/30/2013 EAD arrived

Day 74 04/03/2013 SSN card arrived

Eligible for ROC December 21st 2014

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

After my wife and I were married, we applied for my wife's AOS, and received the EAD card in her married name. Then we went to apply for her SSN and they told us we they could not verify her documents with USCIS. My wife went to USCIS and was told that although her EAD was issued in her married name, the system still has her maiden name. They could not change it until after the interview. We still have not received an appointment letter for the interview. I guess the issue is that we are applying for an SSN using the married name, and they are attempting to verify the married name EAD, but USCIS SAVE database only has maiden name.

Has anyone run into this issue? I'm concerned about getting her SSN in time to file my taxes. I can't file as married without her SSN, and will be forced to apply for an extension. IRS says we aren't eligible for an ITIN. My wife wants to work, and we are both very frustrated, especially since this is not the first problem we've had with SAVE and SSA/USCIS.

We are thinking of going to another SSA office, but I'm not sure if they can do something while this other application is still pending documentation verification.

Apply for the SSN in her maiden name, Alla got hers the day after she arrived, then change it when the GC comes. The name is not important, the number will stay the same. Alla did not change her name until citizenship, she then changed her name on the SSN using the citizenship certificate as ID. Her SSN is the same, of course.

VERMONT! I Reject Your Reality...and Substitute My Own!

Gary And Alla

Timeline

Apply for the SSN in her maiden name, Alla got hers the day after she arrived, then change it when the GC comes. The name is not important, the number will stay the same. Alla did not change her name until citizenship, she then changed her name on the SSN using the citizenship certificate as ID. Her SSN is the same, of course.

I wish it was so easy. They need some USCIS ID with the same name as the application. I worry we are going to have to wait for the green card.

I might just file an extension for my taxes.

K1 timeline

01/30/2012 - Sent I-129F

have you tried going back and show wife's visa, passport and marriage papers? when sveta got her ssc the officer stated would have to be in maiden name as uscis not updated their records with married name. and I am sure most people on site understands and agrees with you once married wife should take husbands name . some people never think about this but how would it look if had kids later in life to wonder if parents was ever married when they were born if wife used maiden name and waited years to take husbands name?

• 1 month later...
Timeline

Well we didn't expect this, but today a miracle happened. Anna got her Social Security card in the mail. :dance:

So now we have a question about the text on the card. It says, VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION, in screaming caps. I assume this is referring to her EAD. Should we get another card after the green card is issued? What does that text deny her access to?

Thanks!

K1 timeline

01/30/2012 - Sent I-129F

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Well we didn't expect this, but today a miracle happened. Anna got her Social Security card in the mail. :dance:

So now we have a question about the text on the card. It says, VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION, in screaming caps. I assume this is referring to her EAD. Yes, a valid EAD or GC. Should we get another card after the green card is issued? You certainly can. What does that text deny her access to? Nothing, as long as she is able to present a valid EAD or GC (that is DHS authorization) along with her SS card.

Thanks!

My wife and stepson have their GCs and their "restricted" SS cards. We haven't bothered going back to SSA office and get updated SS cards. We figured that we have better things to do with our lives, rather than sit around SSA offices waiting for your number to be called. We will get around to it sometime when we tire of watching grass grow or paint dry….lol… :lol:

Not sure of a lot of folks, but since we got the 2-year conditional GCs. We are enjoying life and our new family, and avoiding government offices (unless it is required for some reason). :yes: The Lord knows that all of us have spent enough time and effort thus far wading through the red-tape of government bureaucracies. :yes:

YMMV.

Good luck.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.