Valia and Serghei

Starting your own business ?

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Bulgaria
Timeline

Hello VJ's , After 3-4 months I will move and marry to my fiancé . The "finding job" problem is that concerns me too.

I have my own business here , online sales of food and non-food products.

What about doing the same in US, is a reasonable question regarding to me.

Can someone tell me how much it is cost to register a company in US for online sales , of course my future husband as being USCitizen will be the owner , and will manage this company.

What about taxes, forms , institutions , how much time this will take to register our own company. My fiancée is a government employee and he will not quit his job, he will just own the company.

Can somebody help me with this ?

ROC
05/17/2016 Sending I-751 for me and my child
05/19/2016 Application received
05/26/2016 Check cashed
06/03/2016 biometric appointment letter
06/10/2016 biometrics done
08/13/2016 service request filled

11/14/2016 had tried to put service request - unsuccessful

11/15/2016 Approved

11/19/2016 Approval letter in mail

--/--/---- waiting for the GC

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Hello VJ's , After 3-4 months I will move and marry to my fiancé . The "finding job" problem is that concerns me too.

I have my own business here , online sales of food and non-food products.

What about doing the same in US, is a reasonable question regarding to me.

Can someone tell me how much it is cost to register a company in US for online sales , of course my future husband as being USCitizen will be the owner , and will manage this company.

What about taxes, forms , institutions , how much time this will take to register our own company. My fiancée is a government employee and he will not quit his job, he will just own the company.

Can somebody help me with this ?

Setting up a S-corp is not expensive. In FL, legal fee to register business is under $90, but if you hire some company to register the business for you, then you may be paying around $250 to $400. Each state may have different fee for S-corp registration.

But managing a business cost the money: 1st: Payroll Set up ( if you get it set up using any inexpensive software like intuit payroll, average cost you may have to pay around $25 a month ), 2nd: Entry management ( would have to buy Quickbooks or some other software ), 3rd: CPA Fee ( may be pay around more than $500 a year or more depend up to your business complex). You may end up paying more fee if you hire to CPA for every single service, like Sales Tax Filling ( Generally may require to do quarterly or depend up to your sales size ), book keeper, payroll management, etc etc ).

Time to set up business: If you hire some company to do this job, then they may ask the time around 3-7 days. But if you do it yourself, then it be earlier. In FL, I registered one S-Corp company less than 10 minutes, and 5 minutes for Federal tax id, and was able to open business account same day.

Better: You can buy a book - S-Corporation Small business start-up kit, it is very healful.

XrVRp5.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

It all depends on which state you register your business in and what type of legal entity it will be (corporation, partnership, sole proprietorship). I would recommend researching the laws of the state in which you will reside, but remember you can also register your business in any other state as well based upon advantages that different states have, and you may want to consult with a CPA or an attorney regarding this.

Good Luck!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I have been self-employed in USA for over 30 years, started a few different businesses, it will be no problem. I have tried to open a business in Russia and that is a major hassle. I assume Bulgaria has similar hassles as Russia, you will not have those problems in USA. There are other problems (taxes, workers comp, etc) but getting started is a piece of cake

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Many local Chamber of Commerce have business start up classes. I took one locally and it was 10 weeks, had open question times with local CPAs, insurance agents, and attorneys, plus you ended up with a written business plan and a certificate. The cost was $175. The information/contacts were worth much, much, much more.

Depending on what you want your business to be/do - you need to be super careful with the classification [s-corp vs LLC vs sole proprietorship, etc]. You want to be able to do business as freely as possible as well as protect yourself as much as possible.

Keep in mind that it is not just federal laws/fees and state laws/fees, there can also be regional/county/parish laws/fees as well as town laws/fees. An example, in my little town, there is a $150 one-time-fee to start an at-home business. I would have never known or thought to ask until I mentioned in passing to my neighbor about starting something - he's on the town council and let me know. Try to be as thorough as you can from the get go...

Best of luck.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.