govols

I know why they think he's Australian!

28 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline
But then they want to try out their best (ugh...not so good) fake brit accents on him.

That has *got* to be universal...when ANYONE Finds out where Stewart is from - they're like "G'day mate!" Or they'll do the imitation thing - and face it, no American can do a good Aussie accent - really.

He just cringes.

Another classic he ALWAYS gets is "A dingo stole my baby..."

Cringe

Finally finished with immigration in 2012!

familyxmas-1-1.jpg

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
But then they want to try out their best (ugh...not so good) fake brit accents on him.

That has *got* to be universal...when ANYONE Finds out where Stewart is from - they're like "G'day mate!" Or they'll do the imitation thing - and face it, no American can do a good Aussie accent - really.

He just cringes.

Cringe

Tie me kangeroo down sport, tie me kangeroo down....

:P

Filed: Other Timeline

He just cringes.

Cringe

LOL.....Well, as a West Virginian visiting the UK, everywhere I went (and I do mean EVERYWHERE) they loved to start this...."Take me home, Country Roads".....

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

He just cringes.

Cringe

LOL.....Well, as a West Virginian visiting the UK, everywhere I went (and I do mean EVERYWHERE) they loved to start this...."Take me home, Country Roads".....

I got, "ohhhhh the Kentucky Derby". Yeah my family has owned box seats for the last 100 years.

bar37.gif

Image14.jpg

bar37.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I always get asked if I'm Australian and so does my brother. This has happened on the East Coast and the West Coast.

How come I can tell a Boston accent from an LA accent and a Texan accent from a New York accent. I can pretty much even distinguish a Canadian from an American Accent.

The thing is the population of Australia is approx 20 million. The population of England is approx 50 million (65 million for the UK)

So even if they can't distinguish if we are Australian or English the actual odds are that we are English anyway!

How many Australians get asked if they are English?

Why are Americans so obsessed with Australians anyway?

6/05/06 - Mailed off the I29f

06/20/06 - Cheque cashed

7/07/06 - Still not received NOA1. Call CSC. They have input our address incorrectly. Give them the correct details. Also find out what our case number is from them so can check for touches!

07/13/06 - Receive RFE

07/26/06 - Email confirmation they have RFE

07/27/06 - Touched

08/23/07 - Call CSC to find out where NOA1 is and what date was on it. As it was sent to the wrong address it came back as undeliverable. They will not send it out again unless we send them a written request. However date was;

06/09/06 - NOA1

09/07/06 - NOA2 email confirmation

09/28/06 - NVC say they have sent details to US Embassy in London

12/09/06 - Sent back packet 3 recorded delivery

10/30/06 - Medical

11/06/06 - Interview confirmed 1st December!

01/17/07 - Wedding booked in Vegas

hi

im a mixture. born in england raised in australia...being with my family so long the english accent rubs off on ya.. i was 8 when i left eng.

over here i get either ..are u british or are you australian... i suppose it all depends on how i pronounce my words...i have even been asked if i was german (young fella) but an old man piped up an said no she is australian lol

kath

p.s. cringed caroline when i read your posts about aussie sayings...a few of my american mates goes to me "Crikey Mate" ..ohhh please and roll my eyes lol

pss. well if ya ask my husband why ..he would tell ya were a different type of woman compared to american women..(and i didnt say that to offend anyone either)

Edited by kath&rob

REMOVING CONDITIONS

11th Aug 2008 - Mailed I-751 to CSC.

12th Aug 2008 - Application received

14th Aug 2008 - Cheque cashed

18th Aug 2008 - Received NOA-dated the 12th

26th Aug 2008 - Received Biometrics letter

4th Sept 2008 - Biometrics-Detroit-Complete-'Touched'

5th Sept 2008 - 'Touched'

1st Dec 2008 - APPROVED-Card production ordered -112 days

8th Dec 2008 - USCIS mailed approval notice.

8th Dec 2008 - Received my 10 year Greencard in the mail. took 2 days.

Although I have the above date for approval my card actualy states the

2nd December..

[no American can do a good Aussie accent - really.

I've been told mine is reasonably good by my Australian friends -- although, I can only do it saying "you can't do that to me, I'm beautiful!" and "You're terrible, Muriel" and "Look at me, Kimmy, look at me"

90day.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I'm from London, and have been asked lots of times if I'm Australian, and am also forever being told I sound like I'm from 'up north'. I have no idea why... I think I inadvertently pick up bits of other peoples' accents and then they stick!

I have so far been accused of being an aussie, a new zealander (according to the girl in Wendys) and the latest one is "are you from down south" when I ask where down south I am told North Carolina so apparently if you come from the east end of london and live in up state NY for 8 months you get to sound like someone from NC, it makes my day when customers in the bank where I work try to guess where I am from (and noone has guessed right so far lol) I guess I will have to put a plum in me mouth and talk like the queen if I want to be known as the girl from England

Almost done with it all

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
I always get asked if I'm Australian and so does my brother. This has happened on the East Coast and the West Coast.

How come I can tell a Boston accent from an LA accent and a Texan accent from a New York accent. I can pretty much even distinguish a Canadian from an American Accent.

The thing is the population of Australia is approx 20 million. The population of England is approx 50 million (65 million for the UK)

So even if they can't distinguish if we are Australian or English the actual odds are that we are English anyway!

How many Australians get asked if they are English?

Why are Americans so obsessed with Australians anyway?

Because England is like our Grandpa where Australia is like a 1st cousin you love to get into trouble with. :lol:

Joel

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

So far so good, not been mistaken as an Aussie or from North Carolina. Just enjoying making american women swoon when I speak. I'm sure it will wear off and get irritating one day, but for now I am loving the efffect. I'm sure its why Lauren married me, 90% accent and 10% personality. lol. :thumbs:

K-1 Visa Journey

04/20/2006 - file our I-129f.

09/14/2006 - US Embassy interview. Ask Lauren to marry me again, just to make sure. Says Yes. Phew!

10/02/2006 - Fly to New York, EAD at JFK, I'm in!!

10/14/2006 - Married! The perfect wedding day.

AOS Journey

10/23/2006 - AOS and EAD filed

05/29/2007 - RFE (lost medical)

08/02/2007 - RFE received back at CSC

08/10/2007 - Card Production ordered

08/17/2007 - Green Card Arrives

Removing Conditions

05/08/2009 - I-751 Mailed

05/13/2009 - NOA1

06/12/2009 - Biometrics Appointment

09/24/2009 - Approved (twice)

10/10/2009 - Card Production Ordered

10/13/2009 - Card Production Ordered (Again?)

10/19/2009 - Green Card Received (Dated 10/13/19)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I'm from all over the place and most people say that I sound australian.

Was born in London, lived in Birmingham until I was 18 then moved to Liverpool so my accent is a kind of mish mash of London, Brummy and Scouse lol

I'm surprised everytime I call my fiance that he can understand a word i'm saying lol.

Dec 02 06 - Met for first time irl after 2 years of iming and telephone calls

Mar 03 06 - sent petition to Nebraska

June 06 - Petition approved sent to embassy

July 06 - Forms sent back to embassy

July 06 - Sept 06 - in USA with fiance

Oct 11 06 - Medical Interview

Nov 14 06 - Medical Approved sent to embassy

Nov 15 06 - Checklist sent to embassy

Nov 25 06 - Package 4 arrives Interview date 8th dec

Dec 08 06 - Went to Embassy got Visa yayayaya

Dec 17 06 - Flying to the USA

Jan 20 07 - Wedding date (panic)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

My man will be glad to know he is not the only english person to be mistaken for an Australian, although he has also gotten mistaken of French, and Californian...how the heck that happened I dont know...

Filed: Timeline

I'm a northern lass and I ALWAYS ALWAYS get asked if I'm Austrailian!!! I guess if you don't speak like Hugh Grant (or the queen!) everyone pretty much assumes you are an Auzzie!!

Roshon is getting real good at knowing the different accents! He still gets Scotish and Irish a little confused with each other :lol:

Do you not think we have WAY more accents than here in America??? Ours varies from town to town never mind state to state!!

Sam

Funny you should say that. We were talking about that very thing! Because England alone is approximately the size of some of our states. I'd never even thought of that. Still working on sorting the accents myself :P

Lol, the accents change within a 5 mile radius over there :lol:

Dave's a Northern boy...but his accent is very businesslike, lol, that's the only way I can describe it. But the funny thing is, I can actually tell when he picks up a fone whether there's anyone with him where he is, cos when he's with just the marras, his accent is different, lol.

You've just made me homesick for the Sunday night turn down the pub :cry::lol:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.