nzawake

How to deal with my communist party membership

20 posts in this topic

Hello:

I am now on F-1 visa and studying in America, and just married to my hunsband last November. I joined commnist party in senior year when I was in China, because of my excellence and it is commnon sence that " being communist party member is additional value point on my resume if I want to work in bank of China (my major is finance)" soI became a regular party memeber in senior year (2010) and graduated that year, and worked in Bank of China for half year as a regular teller until end of 2010 and came to America for master degree until now, during this time, no activities I took part in,no connection with any organization but my mom still pay local area party the party fee for me so my membership is still on there. Now in term of immigrantion, it asks the communist issue, is it matter that I said "Yes", and if so, how can I deal with it? I am just a regular memeber, no any titles, position and ranking. Is anyone here having this issue before? hope you can help me.

Thank you very much

Don't even think to deny your membership in a party. USCIS can and will find out anyway and you will ruin your chances to AOS for life.

There is nothing wrong with being a member of communist party , as long as you accepted membership as a routine formality within the context of existing social rules in your country. This question is a bit outdated (it was very relevant when Mao was in power in China and Stalin in Soviet Union). USCIS takes a position that if you have not meaningfully/actively participated as a member then answering YES does not automatically preclude your AOS. Your past will be investigated anyway (whether you disclose it or not) and if you have not been an actively participating member of the party answering YES will be no obstacle to AOS. But falsely denying your membership (however minor) can be grounds for denial and permanent bar for AOS.

PLEASE NOTE THAT ABOVE IS NOT A LEGAL ADVISE. The above is my individual opinion only. I am not a lawyer and I do not practice a law. For legal advise you must consult a practicing immigration attorney.

Edited by asdfg

I-485/I-130 filed: January 26,2012 (130/485 sent to Chicago lockbox, transferred to MSC, field office Baltimore, MD).

I-130 Approved: June 25, 2012

I-485 RFE issued: June 25, 2012

Contacted offices of Honorable Senator Ben Cardin and Barbara Mikulski at the end of July.

I-485 DECISION MADE on August 03, 2012 , LESS THAN A WEEK AFTER CONTACTING THE SENATOR'S OFFICE TO INQUIRE ON CASE STATUS!

I-485 WELCOME NOTICE RECEIVED IN MAIL: 08/08/12

Green Card in Mail: 08/11/12

Filed: Timeline

See, like I said, others say the same. Do not worry....there's a big difference whether you joined it and actively participating and following the perspective, or you joint due to social requirements in your country (like I did). And now, I apologize I brought in Stalin and Lenin...for you that would be Mao. LOL As you see, I'm from a country that formerly was under the Soviet regime...and still have communist party....except without the soviets...LOL :) Good luck to you!

Ps: Just so you know, I've got approved on the spot and since then have my GC. So, you'll get yours too... :)

Yup. Be honest. You're going to have an interview anyway and will have a chance to explain. NOT being honest is where you will have a problem. You came from a communist country and you're a low-ranking member, USCIS expects that to a degree. It isn't like you came from Canada and sought out the party because you believe so strongly in their ideals or something.

OUR TIMELINE

I am the USC, husband is adjusting from B2.

ADJUSTMENT OF STATUS

08.06.2010 - Sent off I-485
08.25.2010 - NOA hard copies received (x4), case status available online: 765, 131, 130.
10.15.2010 - RFE received: need 2 additional photos for AP.
10.18.2010 - RFE response sent certified mail
10.21.2010 - Service request placed for biometrics
10.25.2010 - RFE received per USCIS
10.26.2010 - Text/email received - AP approved!
10.28.2010 - Biometrics appointment received, dated 10/22 - set for 11/19 @ 3:00 PM
11.01.2010 - Successful biometrics walk-in @ 9:45 AM; EAD card sent for production text/email @ 2:47 PM! I-485 case status now available online.
11.04.2010 - Text/Email (2nd) - EAD card sent for production
11.08.2010 - Text/Email (3rd) - EAD approved
11.10.2010 - EAD received
12.11.2010 - Interview letter received - 01.13.11
01.13.2011 - Interview - no decision on the spot
01.24.2011 - Approved! Card production ordered!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

11.02.2012 - Mailed I-751 packet to VSC
11.08.2012 - Checks cashed
11.10.2012 - NOA1 received, dated 11.06.2012
11.17.2012 - Biometrics letter received for 12.05.2012
11.23.2012 - Successful early biometrics walk-in

05.03.2013 - Approved! Card production ordered!

CITIZENSHIP

Filing in November 2013

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

duplicate topics merged

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: F-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Don't even think to deny your membership in a party. USCIS can and will find out anyway and you will ruin your chances to AOS for life.

There is nothing wrong with being a member of communist party , as long as you accepted membership as a routine formality within the context of existing social rules in your country. This question is a bit outdated (it was very relevant when Mao was in power in China and Stalin in Soviet Union). USCIS takes a position that if you have not meaningfully/actively participated as a member then answering YES does not automatically preclude your AOS. Your past will be investigated anyway (whether you disclose it or not) and if you have not been an actively participating member of the party answering YES will be no obstacle to AOS. But falsely denying your membership (however minor) can be grounds for denial and permanent bar for AOS.

PLEASE NOTE THAT ABOVE IS NOT A LEGAL ADVISE. The above is my individual opinion only. I am not a lawyer and I do not practice a law. For legal advise you must consult a practicing immigration attorney.

Thanks a lot :)

See, like I said, others say the same. Do not worry....there's a big difference whether you joined it and actively participating and following the perspective, or you joint due to social requirements in your country (like I did). And now, I apologize I brought in Stalin and Lenin...for you that would be Mao. LOL As you see, I'm from a country that formerly was under the Soviet regime...and still have communist party....except without the soviets...LOL :) Good luck to you!

Ps: Just so you know, I've got approved on the spot and since then have my GC. So, you'll get yours too... :)

Thank you very much :)

Yup. Be honest. You're going to have an interview anyway and will have a chance to explain. NOT being honest is where you will have a problem. You came from a communist country and you're a low-ranking member, USCIS expects that to a degree. It isn't like you came from Canada and sought out the party because you believe so strongly in their ideals or something.

Thanks a lot :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.