Redflame2012

New 'Support' Group/Support Line for 'Newbies'

29 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Mark! Hi there! It's almost time for you to leave England. Safe journey! :D

ps: I know the reality of your move is 'real' to you now...It's a nerve racking time counting the days until your flight... You think about all the people and things you leave behind....the job you give up....the 'goodbyes' that must come...Take it in your stride...If you are sure this is what you want...look forward to new beginnings and the challenges they will bring... :thumbs:

Yep, that pretty much sums things up at the minute LOL. Cheers :thumbs:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Netherlands
Timeline

I'm guessing your down towards LA then? So I leave the UK on the 10th March, and to say the nerves and stress is kicking in is an understatement LOL. One of the first things I have to do is sort myself out with a phone. My other half has a mobile, she has decided because if this, we don't need a landline LOL.

You probably already have an unlocked phone that accepts a SIM card. Tell your other half what size SIM card your phone has, and have them get a new US SIM for you ahead of time!

Some carriers have better deals than others, and it's location dependent.

That "do beforehand list" is the kind of thing that should turn into a FAQ/sticky IMO. We did some of that: healthcare stuff is especially important if you are moving to the USA from a First World country. You'll find that in some ways, the US isn't so first world these days... :blush: I'd also get a copy of your dental X-rays/records, and eye records/written prescription. Actually, if you take any medications, I'd get a refill for as many months as you can before you move. They can be expensive here and it's yet another thing to sort out.

References: see if you can get folks to write you something on linkedin.com, depending on your field.

CV: update it to US-resume style

You probably already have an unlocked phone that accepts a SIM card. Tell your other half what size SIM card your phone has, and have them get a new US SIM for you ahead of time!

Some carriers have better deals than others, and it's location dependent.

That "do beforehand list" is the kind of thing that should turn into a FAQ/sticky IMO. We did some of that: healthcare stuff is especially important if you are moving to the USA from a First World country. You'll find that in some ways, the US isn't so first world these days... :blush: I'd also get a copy of your dental X-rays/records, and eye records/written prescription. Actually, if you take any medications, I'd get a refill for as many months as you can before you move. They can be expensive here and it's yet another thing to sort out.

References: see if you can get folks to write you something on linkedin.com, depending on your field.

CV: update it to US-resume style

Ippsy, good idea about the meds. When I came to the US, I brought my prescriptions with me and at least 3 months supply of meds.

I was lucky. My husband made enquiries about putting me onto his insurances (ie medical and dental) prior to me arriving in the US. Everything was in place.

:lol:

Mark,

I forgot to add one thing...Don't forget to obtain your I-94 'form' on the plane. The only reason I obtained mine was because I read about it on this board!

The I-94 is needed when you adjust your status and as you pass through immigration, the officer will add some information on it.

Redflame :wacko:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

any luck with setting up a meetup.com group ?

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Timeline

Ok ! Welcome to Encino !

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Darnell,

I haven't used that website yet. I'm just taking names of interested souls. Redflame. :innocent:

Random, but I was literally just in Encino on a film shoot for a couple of weeks and it's beautiful in that area. I'm in Los Angeles myself.

Great idea about the support group. There's a huge group of British expats here in WeHo and Santa Monica that my fiance and I have started to meet with while he was here in November. Might be worth getting onto meetup and looking up some of the groups there and doing a joint support group?

I am the USC/petitioner.

Our K-1 Journey
12/19/2012 - Mailed I-129F via USPS Express
12/21/2012 - I-129F arrives in Lewisville, TX according to USPS tracking (delayed because it's the USPS)
12/21/2012 - NOA1 date of receipt
12/26/2012 - NOA1 received via text/email
12/27/2012 - Checked cashed by USCIS
12/31/2012 - Alien Number changed (NOA1 hardcopy in post, but was away for 2 weeks prior)

05/16/2013 - NOA2 received via text/email

05/20/2013 - NOA2 hardcopy received in post

05/28/2013 - NVC receives packet and assigns London case number

07/15/2013 - Sent all paperwork/medical complete

08/23/2013 - Receive Interview Date

09/19/2013 - Interview

Timeline

meetup.com la.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline

Great idea! And really good tips. I will be in the San Diego area, that's a good two hours away I think? To me that seems far because in Belgium if you drive for two hours in any given direction you're no longer in Belgium :-p But I guess in the US distance is measured differently.

Great idea! And really good tips. I will be in the San Diego area, that's a good two hours away I think? To me that seems far because in Belgium if you drive for two hours in any given direction you're no longer in Belgium :-p But I guess in the US distance is measured differently.

Hi Cassecouilles!

I've been to San Diego and that is around 3 hours away from Encino. Nice place! However feel free to message me and, if you wish, we can speak via phone!

When are you leaving Belgium?

Redflame

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline

Hi Cassecouilles!

I've been to San Diego and that is around 3 hours away from Encino. Nice place! However feel free to message me and, if you wish, we can speak via phone!

When are you leaving Belgium?

Redflame

Thanks! I should be leaving Belgium on the 15th of May... dang it's getting close. I haven't even begun to give away/ sell stuff or do anything to plan my move except for stressing about finding a job once there :-p It just seems so weird that I'll arrive there with literally only the clothes on my back and what little savings I have left.

Thanks! I should be leaving Belgium on the 15th of May... dang it's getting close. I haven't even begun to give away/ sell stuff or do anything to plan my move except for stressing about finding a job once there :-p It just seems so weird that I'll arrive there with literally only the clothes on my back and what little savings I have left.

Cassecouilles,

Don't stress about finding a job! When you arrive, after marriage, you'll have to adjust your status to have your work permit. That can take up to 6mths! During that time, you can investigate the job market - in fact you can be doing that now!

When you arrive, find some volunteer work. That will keep you busy!

I know you feel anxious...That's normal. But, as I say to everyone, if this is truly what you want, don't be stressed. Look forward to a new life!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.