Penny Lane

Several shot in Delaware court

81 posts in this topic

Did you ever hit anyone else? in your whole life? from the time your were born?

I've never had a physical altercation with anybody that I can remember. I'm sure as a child I had my outbursts. That makes me a sinner?

And if my parents hadn't conditioned me into thinking that was wrong, I would be a violent adult who shoots up public places?

I'm failing to see the comparison you're making here.

Edited by Evylin

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Malaysia
Timeline

I've never had a physical altercation with anybody that I can remember. I'm sure as a child I had my outbursts. That makes me a sinner?

I'm not religious BTW.

But so you think if no one ever told you that hitting someone else is wrong.......you would automatically know its wrong? and would never in your life do it again?

I'm not religious BTW.

But so you think if no one ever told you that hitting someone else is wrong.......you would automatically know its wrong? and would never in your life do it again?

You are very hard to follow.

You're telling me it's human nature that people are violent. Fine. Say that's true and we're all born violent and we're taught not to be.

Going back to the topic at hand, you believe that the US isn't teaching their children not to be violent and that's the problem we have today? That other countries are "teaching their kids that hitting is wrong" and so they don't grow up shooting up schools?

Please give me your theory as to why the United States has more gun related deaths than other similar countries. Please?

Filed: Other Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

If you accept that US gang culture is extremely virulent and the other civilized countries do not have the same gang culture that explains quite a bit.

I'm reminded of all the times I heard the UK media talk about how US gang culture has started to seep in to the UK and how its affecting crime there.

Edited by Usui Takumi

If you accept that US gang culture is extremely virulent and the other civilized countries do not have the same gang culture that explains quite a bit.

I'm reminded of all the times I heard the UK media talk about how US gang culture has started to seep in to the UK and how its affecting crime there.

Why does the US have a "gang culture" problem? These other countries have their areas of low income, low education, lack of opportunity for youths. So where does this gang culture come from and how does it turn into people in suburban neighborhoods shooting each other?

Edited by Evylin

Timeline

as someone else had mentioned, our history is a more violent one. Our views on guns is not the same as most others (and the same as many others). We as Americans are not conditioned to be less violent.

Now is that how I raise my daughter? of course not. Do I like this violence? of course not.

Now I live in a great place. New York City. Bay Ridge, Brooklyn. And it's great. No one shot here in recent memory. Now 8 miles away in East New York, there's shootings daily. That is all about conditioning.

You think Gun Control is going to have a bearing on East New York? (The answer is no)

yes we are born violent, no different than any other animal trying to survive.

Filed: Timeline
I'm criticising the way the media has been on a blind reporting rampage since the Newtown shootings to sensationalize every single tragic event that would have otherwise not gotten such national attention.

There were almost 1,700 single tragic events since the Newtown massacre very few of which made national news. Don't pretend that there's a reporting rampage going on. A shooting rampage, yes. A killing rampage, yes. A reporting rampage, no.

You think Gun Control is going to have a bearing on East New York? (The answer is no)

I don't think gun control is going to do anything anywhere because nobody wants it to do anything. There's no rational discussions about gun control. New laws are nice but they won't make a difference - this country is a violent one with a violent past and like I said earlier, just arm yourselves and hope you're not in the wrong place at the wrong time. What else is there to do?

Timeline

Why does the US have a "gang culture" problem? These other countries have their areas of low income, low education, lack of opportunity for youths.

IMO, the US failed miserably at integration. In post war America, African Americans could have had the opportunity to climb the ladder so to speak.

Generally every group starts off in a low skill trade and then next generations move upwards. Your seeing that now with hispanic immigrants. Unfortunately, after WW2 people were thrust back into the lowest manufacturing jobs etc and they were unable to move up. Then you have flash riots in the 1950s and 60s during this period of oppression. The gang culture today formed after that period by a population that had lost hope.

Its a lesson in social mobility and while I am using generalizations I do believe it can apply to a particular group as a whole in this case.

Timeline

There were almost 1,700 single tragic events since the Newtown massacre very few of which made national news. Don't pretend that there's a reporting rampage going on. A shooting rampage, yes. A killing rampage, yes. A reporting rampage, no.

I simply disagree. Not debating on it.

The gang culture dates back to ancient times. It's a problem that's not isolated to the US

Timeline

I don't think gun control is going to do anything anywhere because nobody wants it to do anything. There's no rational discussions about gun control. New laws are nice but they won't make a difference - this country is a violent one with a violent past and like I said earlier, just arm yourselves and hope you're not in the wrong place at the wrong time. What else is there to do?

So if gun control has no bearing on violence, what does? Conditioning?

Of course somebody wants to do something. the fact that Bay Ridge Brooklyn has no gun deaths and East New York Brooklyn has 100 gun deaths is because of conditioning.

Timeline

IMO, the US failed miserably at integration. In post war America, African Americans could have had the opportunity to climb the ladder so to speak.

Generally every group starts off in a low skill trade and then next generations move upwards. Your seeing that now with hispanic immigrants. Unfortunately, after WW2 people were thrust back into the lowest manufacturing jobs etc and they were unable to move up. Then you have flash riots in the 1950s and 60s during this period of oppression. The gang culture today formed after that period by a population that had lost hope.

Its a lesson in social mobility and while I am using generalizations I do believe it can apply to a particular group as a whole in this case.

This is an aspect I would like to avoid talking about.

Timeline

The gang culture dates back to ancient times. It's a problem that's not isolated to the US

I'm saying the US strain is more virulent is all. Think of it like a virus or a bacterium. Western Europe might be infected with the common cold where as the US has the flu.

Filed: Timeline

Disagree with what? That 1,700 people have lost their lives to gun violence in this country since the Newtown massacre? That's not a matter of opinion, that's a matter of fact. Or do you disagree that only very few of these murders made national news? That's not really a matter of opinion either. Surely you will agree that there are not 30 national news stories about deaths from gun violence a day. Yet that is how many people fall victim to gun violence - per day.