Alex & Stela

Peace of mind about visa fee

4 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

To the best of my knowledge, through the USCIS website, the K-1 visa fee sits at $340.

However, through perusing the website of the Rio de Janeiro consulate, it is listed at $455.

On the sample document of VisaJourney, it is also listed as $455.

I'm inclined to believe the USCIS website, but can someone offer me some peace of mind?

Alex(US) & Stela(Brazil)

I-129F Packet Sent - 06/19/2013

I-129F Packet Delivered to Dallas Box - 06/21/2013

NOA1 Electronic Notice, Packet to VSC - 06/25/2013

USCIS Check Cashed - 06/26/2013

Received Hard Copy NOA1 - 6/28/2013

Notification of Case Transfer to TSC - 08/09/2013

Received Hard Copy of Case Transfer to TSC - 08/14/2013

Electronic Notification of NOA2 - 9/17/2013 - 85 days!

Electronic Notification of Shipment to NVC - 9/18/2013

Hard Copy NOA-2 (I-797) - 9/21/2013

NVC Received - 9/25/2013

NVC Shipped - 10/1/2013

Received at Embassy in Rio de Janeiro - 10/8/2013

Beneficiary Received Instructions & Interview Date - 10/15/2013

Going to visit for the interview!!! - 12/7/2013

Interview at Rio de Janeiro!!! - 12/10/2013

Coming back to the U.S. with my baby to get married!!! - 12/30/2013

Time to K-1 Petition Approval - 85 days

Time from Petition to Interview - 168 days

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

To the best of my knowledge, through the USCIS website, the K-1 visa fee sits at $340.

However, through perusing the website of the Rio de Janeiro consulate, it is listed at $455.

On the sample document of VisaJourney, it is also listed as $455.

I'm inclined to believe the USCIS website, but can someone offer me some peace of mind?

There will be three different fees. There's the 129f K-1 Petition fee of 340 and then the particular Embassy will charge another fee for the interview and visa fee, which will vary depending on the Embassy and lastly there's the medical fee, which will also vary.

Always follow what the USCIS website or Embassy states.

Phil (Lockport, near Chicago) and Alla (Lobnya, near Moscow)

As of Dec 7, 2009, now Zero miles apart (literally)!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

The fee to PETITION for the K-1 is $340. It used to be $455, but that is old information on the Rio Embassy site. The Rio website does not maintain updated information very well, unfortunately. (see below for another example to watch for.)

After the petition is approved and your file is sent to Rio, you will get an interview date. Currently, the fee amount to bring to the interview is $240. You will also have to have a medical evaluation done which will vary in cost from person to person.

When you get further into this process (After NOA2): Please note the the Interview Package that Rio has listed on their website contains OUTDATED forms. The US Dept of State website has forms that are up-to-date. I emailed the Rio consulate with this information and asked if they wanted me to use the outdated forms that are on THEIR website, or the updated forms on the US website. They responded that I should use the updated forms. I just mention this because the Rio site does not acknowledge that there exists more recent forms. I happened to discover this simply by fluke.

rwn5m5.png

K-1 Journey

09/24/2012 sent I-120F

09/27/2012 NOA1

04/19/2013 NOA2

04/30/2013 file received at NVC

05/07/2013 file received at Brazilian Consulate

06/11/2013 Interview in Rio de Janeiro - Approved!

07/18/2013 Visa Received (over one month delay at Consulate!)

07/19/2013 Fiancé entered USA

07/21/2013 Wedding

AOS

08/15/2013 sent AOS, EAD, and AP

01/27/2014 received Green card

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.