Hilario

Filing jointly

60 posts in this topic

i would like to ask if you have sent the original passport and if you have gotten it back already. thank you

Since it took some time for him to get his Irish passport, and more time for him to send it to the US for me to include in the packet, I wasn't able to send it to the IRS until a little over a week ago. The package was only received last Wednesday, so no, we haven't gotten the passport back yet.

I'm a dual US/Hungarian citizen (both by birth; Hungarian citizenship verification TBA), and my husband is a dual British/Irish citizen (by treaty) from Northern Ireland. We are atheists.

All advice is given pursuant to the Disclaimer that you may read at the bottom of each forum page.

LATEST STEPS:

28 Jun 2013: POE Houston

08 Jul 2013: SSN received (at SSA office)

07 Aug 2013: Green Card received

27 Feb 2014: Whoa, life happened. Planning move "back home" together to Republic of Ireland by end of April.

29 Apr 2014: POE Dublin through Heathrow

15 May 2014: Received formal residency/work permission (GNIB card with Stamp 4, one year renewable) for the ROI

For my FULL timeline, see my "About Me" page.

For small creatures such as we, the vastness is bearable only through love. (Carl Sagan)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

It will work. I did it. First year did the ITIN. Second year did an extension and filed taxes in September after Rin had her EAD and SSN.

Can I ask you how long it took to get the ITIN number? I sent forms and 1040 first week of March and have not heard anything yet?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

Can I ask you how long it took to get the ITIN number? I sent forms and 1040 first week of March and have not heard anything yet?

It took 8-10 weeks for the ITIN and another 4-6 weeks for the return. We filed in June. Got the return in September. I suspect during peak tax period (April) the time would be a few weeks longer.

K-3

11/15/2006 - NOA1 Receipt for 129F

02/12/2007 - I-130 and I-129F approved!

04/17/2007 - Interview - visa approved!

04/18/2007 - POE LAX - Finally in the USA!!!

04/19/2007 - WE ARE FINALLY HOME!!!

09/20/2007 - Sent Packet 3 for K-4 Visas (follow to join for children)

10/02/2007 - K-4 Interviews - approved

10/12/2007 - Everyone back to USA!

AOS

06/20/2008 - Mailed I-485, I-765 (plus I-130 for children)

06/27/2008 - NOA1 for I-485, I-765, and I-130s

07/16/2008 - Biometrics appointment

08/28/2008 - EAD cards received

11/20/2008 - AOS Interviews - approved

Citizenship

08/22/2011 - Mailed N-400

It took 8-10 weeks for the ITIN and another 4-6 weeks for the return. We filed in June. Got the return in September. I suspect during peak tax period (April) the time would be a few weeks longer.

Thank You!

We got my husband's ITIN number last week. They're really moving on this. The tax return might need more time. It might have gone faster since we used an accountant and the accountant's forms.

I'm a dual US/Hungarian citizen (both by birth; Hungarian citizenship verification TBA), and my husband is a dual British/Irish citizen (by treaty) from Northern Ireland. We are atheists.

All advice is given pursuant to the Disclaimer that you may read at the bottom of each forum page.

LATEST STEPS:

27 Feb 2014: Whoa, life happened. Planning move "back home" together to Republic of Ireland by end of April.

15 May 2014: Received formal residency/work permission (GNIB card with Stamp 4, one year renewable) for the ROI

For small creatures such as we, the vastness is bearable only through love. (Carl Sagan)

We got my husband's ITIN number last week. They're really moving on this. The tax return might need more time. It might have gone faster since we used an accountant and the accountant's forms.

speedwell can I ask you when you sent your w7 in? and did your husband get the ITIN number or you?

I put my mailing address on the w7, I being the USC..

Thanks so much!

speedwell can I ask you when you sent your w7 in? and did your husband get the ITIN number or you?

I put my mailing address on the w7, I being the USC..

Thanks so much!

We sent in our taxes the second-to-last week of March. My husband was the one who needed the ITIN (I am the US citizen and I have a SSN). My husband put my address as his mailing address and his address in Northern Ireland as his foreign address. The ITIN notice, when it came, was sent to my address.

LATEST STEPS:

We sent in our taxes the second-to-last week of March. My husband was the one who needed the ITIN (I am the US citizen and I have a SSN). My husband put my address as his mailing address and his address in Northern Ireland as his foreign address. The ITIN notice, when it came, was sent to my address.

Thank you, yes my wife will get the ITIN but wasn't quite sure where they would mail it, didn't know if they would frown seeing a USA mailing address on the form. I am still waiting to hear something, We didn't send in her passport, we sent her voters ID instead, hoping I hear something!

Thanks again!!!

Thank you, yes my wife will get the ITIN but wasn't quite sure where they would mail it, didn't know if they would frown seeing a USA mailing address on the form. I am still waiting to hear something, We didn't send in her passport, we sent her voters ID instead, hoping I hear something!

Thanks again!!!

No, it's fine :) I think it's normal to put the US mailing address on. When the letter came it was addressed to him at the US address, not to me at the US address. But of course it wouldn't have been sent to me; my name was on the tax filing, not on the W-7. We received his passport back in a normal mailing envelope by First Class mail (not even with a tracking number, lucky it got here) in a separate packet a week or so before we got the ITIN notice.

LATEST STEPS:

No, it's fine smile.png I think it's normal to put the US mailing address on. When the letter came it was addressed to him at the US address, not to me at the US address. But of course it wouldn't have been sent to me; my name was on the tax filing, not on the W-7. We received his passport back in a normal mailing envelope by First Class mail (not even with a tracking number, lucky it got here) in a separate packet a week or so before we got the ITIN notice.

Awesome, I guess I will wait on this tooClockWatch2.gif getting use to it lol have a nice day and thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

Finally heard something on my wifes ITIN # sent 1040 and w7 11 weeks ago, got someone on the phone with IRS that actually wanted to help, they assigned a ITIN May 9th so should be getting it in the mail soon, hopefully my tax return money will be coming in a few weeks!!! My wife went for her medical today and my IV package I-260 arrived at NVC today , they already recieved the AOS package a couple of weeks ago, so things are looking Brighter every day!!! Now hoping for a CC with no RFE and a interview date.good.gif

Finally heard something on my wifes ITIN # sent 1040 and w7 11 weeks ago, got someone on the phone with IRS that actually wanted to help, they assigned a ITIN May 9th so should be getting it in the mail soon, hopefully my tax return money will be coming in a few weeks!!! My wife went for her medical today and my IV package I-260 arrived at NVC today , they already recieved the AOS package a couple of weeks ago, so things are looking Brighter every day!!! Now hoping for a CC with no RFE and a interview date.good.gif

P.S. Doing all this without the help of a immigration lawyer and tax man is rather gratifying when all things go good.

I should have mentioned, I got the check for the tax return on May 7. Actually THREE checks, because they noticed I hadn't cashed two checks from previous tax years (one was only a few dollars and I didn't remember ever getting the other one and forgot about it). The extra money was only about a hundred dollars, but that's nothing to sneeze at! smile.png

Edited by speedwell

LATEST STEPS:

I should have mentioned, I got the check for the tax return on May 7. Actually THREE checks, because they noticed I hadn't cashed two checks from previous tax years (one was only a few dollars and I didn't remember ever getting the other one and forgot about it). The extra money was only about a hundred dollars, but that's nothing to sneeze at! smile.png

So speedwell it didn't take you more than 8 weeks for the whole process ITIN and tax return, that's awesome, yah I could use the cash for bringing the wife and son back, price of airline tickets are way up for the summer!! Thanks for the info and good luck with everything.good.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.