raf.luv.leah

Reporting marriage and name change in the US

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi, I am a K-1 visa holder and my flight is in March. We are getting married in April.

1. Does taking my husband's surname/hyphenating come automatically with marriage or do I need to file for a name change?

2. Do we file for AOS under my married or maiden name?

3. Is it advisable to wait until we get married before filing for SSN so I can do it in my married name, or do I file for it ASAP under my maiden name?

4. What do I need to do to report my marriage and name change to the Philippines? Do they issue me a new passport with my married name?

I am (usually) the beneficiary.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Hi, I am a K-1 visa holder and my flight is in March. We are getting married in April.

1. Does taking my husband's surname/hyphenating come automatically with marriage or do I need to file for a name change?

3. Is it advisable to wait until we get married before filing for SSN so I can do it in my married name, or do I file for it ASAP under my maiden name?

4. What do I need to do to report my marriage and name change to the Philippines? Do they issue me a new passport with my married name?

Hi, Get married within 90 days then apply for a social security card ( this will have your new name on it) then file AOS. This way you don't have to return for a name change at the SS office after marriage. Good Luck and Congratulations on your upcoming wedding :)

about passport:

Q:I was recently married/divorced. How do I change my name on my passport?a:You will need to complete Form DS-5504: Application for a U.S. Passport: Name Change, Data Correction, and Limited Passport Book Replacement, within one year of the issuance date of your current valid passport and submit along with the following:

• The same data visually displayed on the data page of the passport;
  • The passport to be replaced
  • Certified documentation of your name change (e.g., marriage certificate, divorce decree with your new name); and
  • One recent passport photo.

After one year of the issuance date you must submit Form DS-82: Application for Passport by Mail, your current passport, certified documentation of your name change, one recent passport photo, and pay all applicable fees.

http://www.travel.state.gov/passport/forms/ds5504/ds5504_2663.html

Edited by tru_loves_journey

event.png

event.png

A1. No, you put it on your marriage certificate. My wife dropped her middle name(her mothers last name) and has her maiden name as her middle name, and took my last name.

A2. ?

A3. I don't think you can get one, until your married.

A4. Original Marriage certificate filed at NSO. You would need to change your name on 2 ID's. you would need to apply for a passport name change.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

85X1m8.png
USCIS (78 Days)
11/06/2012- Filed I-130 through Congressman
11/08/2012- USCIS Received date/ Priority date
11/14/2012- NOA1 Hardcopy sent
01/25/2013- NOA 2: APPROVED Letter sent(on-line verified)

02/01/2013- Hard copy NOA2 received@1406 hrs

NVC (30 Days)
02/04/2013- NVC Received
02/21/2013- NVC Case Number (MNL2013-xx-xxxx)
02/21/2013- Sent DS-3032 emailed
02/25/2013- Received/Paid I-864 Bill
02/26/2013- I-864 Showing
PAID
02/28/2013-Return Completed I-864 and DS-230
03/01/2013- Confirmation of Completed DS-3032
03/01/2013-Received IV Bill

03/06/2013-IV BILL Paid correctly
03/06/2013-CASE COMPLETED AT NVC
03/07/2013-IV BILL SHOWING PAID!
03/12/2013 Completed case sent to US Embassy Manila

Embassy (28 Days)

03/14/2013-Embassy Received
03/19/2013-Medical Completed
04/03/2013-Interview & Result, PASSED!
04/04/2012-CFO
04/10/2013-Visa Issued
04/11/2013-VIsa/Passport picked up@MOA/CFO Sticker/Flight
04/11/2013-POE-Hawaii and HOME!

04/30/2013- Green Card arrived

05/05/2013-State ID issued

4/18/2016 N-400 mailed

that would be done at the Philippine Embassy/Consulate which has jurisdiction in the state you are residing.

http://www.philippineembassy-usa.org/philippines-dc/consular-services-dc/

US Embassy Manila website. bringing your spouse/fiancee to USA

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwh3204.html

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

1. Does taking my husband's surname/hyphenating come automatically with marriage or do I need to file for a name change? Its done with the marriage certificate

2. Do we file for AOS under my married or maiden name? You legal name, which when you file will be your married name.

3. Is it advisable to wait until we get married before filing for SSN so I can do it in my married name, or do I file for it ASAP under my maiden name? You can get your SSN anytime as long as there is at least two weeks (or 10 days, can't remember exactly) remaining on the I-94, don't need to be married. We got married on a Sunday, recorded the marriage and got certified copies on Monday and on Tuesday my wife applied for her SSN.

4. What do I need to do to report my marriage and name change to the Philippines? Do they issue me a new passport with my married name? Reporting the marriage n the Philippines is up to you, but if you want your passport in your married name you need to report your marriage in the Philippines (through the consulate nearest you.)

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: IR-5 Country: Philippines
Timeline

1. When you fill up the marriage license you can put your husband's surname as your married name.

2. You file for AOS using your married name.

3. I applied for SSN 14 days after arriving here in the states. I used my maiden name & just went back when I received my GC. It wasn't a hassle at all in going back to change the name. Took about less than 10 mins. The SSN card in my married name arrived in the mail 2 weeks later.

4. This is the link of Philippine embassy/ consulate in USA: http://www.philippineembassy-usa.org/philippines-dc/consulate-finder-dc/

You will file Report of Marriage Contracted Abroad.

You will apply for new passport due to Change in Name. http://www.philippineembassy-usa.org/philippines-dc/consular-services-dc/faq-dc/#changename

• 2 weeks later...

I also suggest if you have any children to report their birth to the Philippines Embassy also and get your child a Philippine Passport and a USA passport.

If you have any further questions or need help, we went through all of this already. The Philippine Embassy for our area is the one in Washington DC. You have to use the embassy that is designated for the state that you live in. Go to their web site and follow instructions and download all necessary required forms.

yes u can use ur husband's surname after ur marriage...

under married name unless you still want to use your maiden name..

its up to you....

file ROM.. find the nearest PH consulate to your state...

N-400:
May 9, 2017: N-400 packet was sent
May 15, 2017: NOA1 
June 05, 2017: Biometric Done
June 19, 2017: Case is in Line for an Interview
June 25, 2018: USCIS Scheduled an Interview
Aug. 02, 2018: Interview Date- APPROVED!
Aug. 09, 2018: Oath Ceremony

My Group

My Blog

• 5 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Has anyone filed this recently. All of the information on the website says you have to be there in person to get a passport. That's a VERY long way for me to go to Chicago from Louisiana.

4/4/11 ---- Met on filipino.com

10/17/11-10/21/11 ---- visited Jinkie in Philippines

10/23/11 ---- proposed to Jinkie

12/7/11 ---- mailed I-129F

12/12/11----Received at VSC

12/14/11 ---- NOA1 (email/txt) I-129F received

12/16/11 ---- NOA1 (mail) I-129F received

12/23/11 ---- Touched

3/12-21/12 ---- Visited Jinkie in Philippines

4/13/12 --- 1 YEAR ANNIVERSARY!

4/20/12 ---- NOA2

4/23/12 ---- Received NOA2 email/text

5/16/12 ---- NVC letter with case number saying within a week petition will be forwarded to Embassy

6/15/12 --- Scheduled Interview appt

6/18/12 --- Received instruction letter from PI embassy

6/19/12 --- Medical Exam

7/2/12 --- INTERVIEW!

7/25/12 --- Needed Police Clearance from Bahrain. Arrived and sent to Embassy 7/25

---- CALLED REPEATEDLY!!! ----

8/23/12 --- Visa Issued

8/29/12 --- Visa Received

8/30/12 --- CFO Seminar Completed

8/31/12 --- Arrived at POE - Detroit WOOHOO!! IN MY ARMS AGAIN!!!

11/1/12 --- Married!!!!

Adjustment of Status

11/15/12--- filed AOS

11/20/12--- NOA1

Brian - Shreveport, Louisiana

Jinkie - Quezon City, Philippines

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"I can do all things through CHRIST who strengthens me" - Philippians 4:13

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Has anyone filed this recently. All of the information on the website says you have to be there in person to get a passport. That's a VERY long way for me to go to Chicago from Louisiana.

Yes for passports you have to do that in person, but you can wait for a consulate outreach to come to your area.

http://www.philippineschicago.org/index.php?page=consular-services-chicago/faq-chicago/#outreach

We did the report of marriage and passport renewal in married name during the outreach program here.

Edited by Hank_

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.